In Regards To Chris Conte

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    He will be starting at FS, again, and I expect a big bounce back year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    if he's the starting FS this year

[​IMG]
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I agree for the most part.

I think a player comparable to Conte can be signed all day long, all season long. Should he make our roster, is my concern. I think he is average.

Maybe he just needs a supporting cast? Maybe he will develop into a force?

When our line didn't pick up the slack, we were used to Mike Brown easily filling the role.

Here's Brown's stats. Even in our better Defensive days, he closely performed to Conte's numbers.
    http://www.nfl.com/player/mikebrown/2504304/profile

SeasonTeam TacklesInterceptionsFumbles
     GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2009Kansas City Chiefs161610379242.0--33134.310  

2008Chicago Bears15157357161.0--82 0.0   

2007Chicago Bears114220.0--212727.027  

2006Chicago Bears66231850.0 1----0.0----1

2005Chicago Bears1212726391.0 3311638.77211

2004Chicago Bears2210910.0 1----0.0---- 

2003Chicago Bears16167662140.0--42 0.0   

2002Chicago Bears16159075150.0 53165.316 3

2001Chicago Bears16166755123.0 658116.233T22

2000Chicago Bears1616------0.0  13535.035T1 

TOTAL518420987.0 3320288--7247
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    chime in more. need more Texas voices on this site. :)
  5. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    So comparing Conte vs Brown..... Should Conte have more tackles? I mean the DL sucked and the runners were making it to the secondary.

When Brown played, the DL and LB took care of a lot of the work, and Brown produced some good numbers still.

So I can't explain why both have the same stats, yet two different DL's and LBs...
  6. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß

I do make pretty good "pots". lol
  7. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Mike Brown...:4 17 11[1]::4 17 208[1]:
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    In this formation he was more of a Slot CB but that was less the issue than the fact that he thinks he has zone responsibility and the play call change was obviously for man coverage on Cobb. That in itself was kind of fucked up since he doesn't have the speed to play Cobb man up. The TE was out wide and if it was man coverage he and Bowman should have been flip flopped but in the zone coverage he thought they were in he takes the TE in the flat and Bowman switches off and takes the slot guy which he eventually did but too late.

The bottom line is that they really didn't have the correct personnel alignment for the switch they did and I don't think that call came in from the bench. Whoever called it (Briggs or Anderson) did it right before the snap. If the blitz nails Rodgers or if Pep had then it's all good but even if Conte had covered him Cobb could have smoked him deep and they may still have scored. IMHO the bottom line is that is was just one more example of the compete cluster fuck that our defense had become.

You don't put a Safety on a WR like Cobb and ask him to cover him man up. That's a job for the CB or Slot CB. I give the Packers credit. They got a mismatch and Rodgers found a way to exploit it. Pep got paid a lot more money last year to make his play than Bowman and Conte got combined to mess up theirs. The smart move might have been to call a t.o. and make sure everyone had it straight but they didn't and it's ancient history.

We wouldn't have gotten past the first playoff game anyway so who cares.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Here's a nice one [​IMG]

Here's some really choice stuff though [​IMG]

:guinness:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

And I expect this could happen as well. As a player in his 3rd season Conte was definitely improving and then ran into a buzz saw when the entire defense in front of him fell apart. We can't grade him as well as his coaches could because we can't tell exactly what was expected and when but throughout the year Hoke said Conte was grading out well. He never said that about Wright and which one returned?

To anyone who says we haven't improved the Safety positions I'd say look around. We added three FAs all with NFL starting experience, drafted Vereen, and we still can look at Conte as a potentially much improved player. If fans are willing to cut Bostic and Greene some slack for their play at LB then why not Conte? They were all playing in the most horseshit defense I've ever seen a Bears team field.......ever!

If Conte's shoulder is healed he'll be on the roster and he'll be in line to start. Adding Wilson, if he still has the capability of playing as an every down guy, also allows for the possibility of playing Mundy at FS. Last year we had Conte, Wright, Walters, and Steltz as our Safeties. This year we have Conte and Steltz competing with four or five vet FAs and a rookie 4th round pick. So far I'm satisfied that enough has been done to address the issue.

It waaaaaaay past time to stop beating Conte up for one messed up play and when I say one messed up play I mean that the whole friggin' thing was messed up. He actually saved a TD earlier in the game but we never see that video just the one of the winning TD pass. It's the past. Time to move forward. There's plenty of competition back there so if he sucks he won't play. It's as simple as that.....end of story!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß

That's probably the best part.. lol

We just weren't ready, and we shouldn't have made the playoff with our defense.

That play shows the level of football knowledge Conte has. He should have seen a flag go up. Regardless of who take who, someone take someone.

Yeah match ups may not have been in our favor, but it's better than him straight up sleeping on the play.

There are certainly a lot of what if's, but this isn't Conte's first game, and isn't his only big mistake of the season.

He also dropped a sure INT prior to this play as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    868ß
    Welcome back BIH,

Conte made a lot of plays because the defense up front was weak. He is not the worst we could have but presents an opportunity for improvement. Seems like a high number but I would be more interested in how efficient he was. 78 tackles out of 156 opportunities would be 50% if he had 78 tackles out of 86 or so and was 90% efficient then it would be impressive. His numbers being that high just shows other deficiencies that required him to be involved.
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    No offense but we won't know vereen isn't ready until he's in pads and there are live bullets being fired.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    The safety can cover the flat in any number of coverages. This is basic football.
  15. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß

Yeah, but not when the CB covers deep?

I know some coverage's get pretty tricky, but that zone just looks weird with no CB blitz.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Of course not. I'm going by what I've been hearing about him thus far--that the team is excited about his speed and athletic ability but he's raw and has a lot to learn. I'm projecting that to mean "impressive tools and potential but be patient". How many late 4th round rookies go on to start and succeed right from the get-go? I don't have stats on that but I suspect the percentage is low.

My point (and Soul's point too) is that the Conte-bashing and scapegoating is getting old and overdone. He definitely had a "down year" last season but that didn't happen in a vacuum. There are 10 other starters on the defense (11 if you count nickel CB) and the only one who clearly outperformed Conte over 16 games was Jennings. Every other one either disappointed as bad/worse, was hurt too much, or both. I don't feel its fair to judge Conte as harshly as has been done in that context and it's certainly bogus to pin "missing the playoffs" on him like has been done to death. Any serious observer knows the Bears were one and done had they gotten in anyway so a lot of the emotion comes down to a late season collapse with a horrible performance on national TV in Philly and then losing to Green Bay at the last minute on a blown play.

If Vereen truly wins the FS job in August fair and square, that's great. I just don't want him "winning" the job because Conte is hurt or there's some lingering he-blew-last-season vendetta there. I still think Conte is the wiser choice to start the season at FS, medically permitting of course, until proven otherwise. And I do think he will have a solid bounce back year fighting for a contract and to change people's minds.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Its just occurred to me that since the 1985 BEARS,in the last 29 years,

weve had 3 Safetys that we could point to with pride.

Two were gone before the Ninties.

Fencik

Deurson

Brown

Thats not many considering how the Angelo regime always seemed to draft one.

Other then our endless quest for a QB before JCut, Safety had to be second.
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Oh dear god....this is starting to look like the infamous Flogging Chris Conte thread.

For anyone interested go read it...about 20 pages that boils down to...........

Conte shouldn't have had to make that many tackles...the entire defense sucked
    Conte gets unfairly blamed for a play that nobody knows who/what happened
    Conte needs to play more consistently in order to make it in the NFL
    This year is a make or break year for him.

And that's that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The biggest problem I have with Conte isn't his physical ability it's that he's not a verbal take charge guy like a Mike Brown was and we need that type of guy playing Safety. If he was that type of player he may have called time out when he realized he was in a mismatch with Cobb just to make certain the coverage was correct. But he's not that type of guy and if he can't ever be that type of guy then yeah, we should be looking for one who is.

He made some plays last year and he blew some plays including that pick that went through his hands before the killer but all game long he was around the ball and up until that very last play most would have said he had a decent game. All I can tell right now is that he'll be in the mix and up against some very good competition. If that doesn't help turn his game around he'll be gone next year. That much we can count on.
  20. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    So Conte had a blown coverage in the GB game big deal. We were not going anywhere in the playoff anyway. I dislike the Packers more than most people do, since I lived there. In fact, I lived four doors from where Lombardi used to live, and one street over from Bart Starr. I have always thought Conte played okay since he became a Bear. I believe, the problem was the defensive system, and the injuries to key players last year. Why is everybody always blaming Conte. I'm sure he did not make the mistake on purpose. I believe, training camp will determine who will start and make the team. With all the additional depth things will get sorted out.
    • Like Like x 1