In Regards To Chris Conte

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    If you believe Hub, and sometimes he's dead on and sometimes he's dead wrong, but ritght now he feels pretty sure that Conte is going to have a hard time making the team. B/c the team seems commited to Vareen, and he seems to think that both Mundy and Wilson have a better shot at making the team at SS then Conte does.
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I think Conte's future with the Bears may depend on how well Wilson's Achilles tendon recovery has gone. I am sure that Vereen will be given every chance in PS to perform. But if he (Vereen) needs time to develop and Wilson is still limited by his injury, Conte will probably make the roster.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    I find that hard to believe unless Conte isn't going to be 100% physically in camp/preseason. He's still on his rookie contract (which makes him cheap) and he has more starts at S under his belt than anyone else on the roster except AW. Hub thinks they keep Steltz or Wilson over Conte? Has udfa Wilson ever played a snap on defense in a real game? I don't think we have that kind of depth to cut a player like Conte who's cheap and at least marginally serviceable.

As for Vareen, I have no doubt the team is "committed" to him as they should be. If he's going to be our starting FS week 1 right off the bat, I'll have to see a lot of him in preseason to convince me that's a good idea. Bostic looked really good in preseason last year too.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

And hard to believe he won't be on the final roster for the reasons you list. As it stands he and Jennings are the most experienced FS we have and I don't give Jennings much of a shot at taking Conte's job away from him. Steltz is a valuable backup and STeams guy but if he's never been able to win a starting role in 7 years it's not happening this year either. Actually Steltz is another guy who needs to be upgraded.

I'm hoping Adrian Wilson has just enough left to contribute as a backup SS and to play in sub packages where we need two big Safeties in nickel coverage. Mundy would be the starter and Conte and Vereen would handle the other Safety slot. Then it comes down to who of those left over are the best STeams guys so a guy like McCray may make it as a 5th Safety. Then we can stick one or two on the PS squad as spares.

If Hub is talking about C.J. Wilson whose a CB I don't know why we'd keep him over Conte.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Going thru BEARS history I would also add Mark Carrier

(One of the last great DITKA era picks?) and Tony Parrish as

above average Safety's along with Fencik- Deurson- Brown.

I just remembered how far back in the field Urlacher could get to take heat off the secondary.

He made a big difference. He is missed.

The deal with Conte is with 73 tackles he was earning his money despite the adversity of the Defense last season.

Now I want him back for one more try.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That's just one reason among many others that the defensive schemes they were playing last year didn't work very well. Urlacher was like a huge Safety himself when he dropped in coverage and at 6'4" he was definitely a difference maker in coverage.
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +240 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    I'm on Conte's side. He is not great, but he is also not the hot garbage that many make him out to be. The biggest risk for him is how healthy he comes back. If Phil starts telling us that Chris will be welcomed back with open arms, then I am going to start to worry.

Hub anointing Vareen the starter is ridiculous. We have not even seen him in pads. There is always euphoria over the latest draft picks. I hope Vareen is the next Fencik, but at this point he is just a question mark in my book.

The bottom line is lets get the best players on the field. Hopefully we will see clear winners during the preseason that we can count on for the season.
  8. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    I can't see Conte started on another NFL team.

yeah 73 tackles but compare that to other safeties in the bears past who had a better line and line backers. 73 is the average for a safety.

how many missed tackles does he have? I'm going to take a stab and say 74.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    TBear, he's not great, but he's not hot garbage, that's true, but he's not even average. He and Wright were below average the year before and were completely exposed for what they were by a decimated front 7.

The Bears might do worse, but they could easily do better, so why not try? And sadly it sounds like they might have in Mundy, Vereen and Wilson...again not even expecting Wilson to be a probowler, like he was in the past, but a 75-80% of what he used to be is still 1000% better then a 100% Conte.
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Well if the corner is deep then who is in the flat? Who do you think covers one of the flats in cover 3? Smoke, cloud, quarters with a smoke, rolling coverages are all scenarios in which a safety would be in the flat.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    I agree....I was never one of the one's bashing conte...I've probably been one of his biggest defenders. With that said...may the best man win.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Ummm m.....Mark Carrier was pretty good bubba. So was Tony Parrish.
  13. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    I just researched it, and you are right. I never paid enough attention to see that the strong safety covers the flat in a cover 3.

It still doesn't make me understand why a HUGE alarm didn't go off in his head when he saw trips. Surely he saw Major Wright (free safety) next to him.

So who has the deep coverage?

I'm not trying to re-hash this. I'm just saying it was something that should have been more than obvious to him. Especially since Major Wright is 5 yards away.

I think the best man will win, and I hope Conte unfucks himself, or the rest of the defense can cover his weaknesses better.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    If you go back after the game, an adjustment was called, Tillman I believe, and Conte didn't hear it, or didn't read the adjustment correctly.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    We need 2 safeties. Vereen is said to be able to play both SS and FS and Mundy is no lock.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The switch off on that play had to be Bowman taking Cobb deep which he did but far too late because he picked up the switch to man coverage and thought Conte had him. If they would have remained with the original coverage Bowman would have had plenty of time to get over and pick up Cobb before he got so wide open.

Wright was up too close to the line to play effectively as a deep Safety and he took his man out before the guy could even get in the pattern. Maybe that should have been a tip off for Conte or maybe he just figured Bowman knew to make the switch off but once again if there was any confusion on a play that important either Conte or Wright should have called time out and made sure every one was on the same page.

Mike Brown was the last Safety we had who could actually run the show back there without any help from Urlacher. After Brown left it was up to Urlacher to make certain everyone was lined up correctly and knew the coverage scheme. So when we lost Urlacher then whose job was it? Briggs? Don't make me laugh. Great LB but not a great field captain. Anderson? Even worse. He's a first year guy in that defense and not someone everyone looked to like they did Urlacher.

I'm not dredging up the whole Urlacher issue again but I will say the it was his leadership and his ability to QB that defense, the whole defense, that we missed last year more than his admittedly declining physical abilities. Like I've been saying the defense was a year long cluster fuck and plays like that are a perfect example. We as a team screwed up, not just Conte.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

As it stands if Wilson has recovered sufficiently from his Achilles tear we'll have four Safeties who could play. I'm not certain Wilson can play at all but if he does they'll probably use him more as a blitzer and as a cover Safety in a nickel that uses two big Safeties on TEs. I don't see him over Mundy as the every down SS.

Vereen may have more upside and better skills but for now Conte has the edge on him as far as experience goes and that counts for a lot. Conte is gonna get a shot at keeping his job and after last year I think he's gonna be fighting like seven devils to do just that. Having Vereen to push the hell out of him and there all season long looking over his shoulder has got to be a good thing.

If Conte starts the season but falters then Vereen will be coming along gaining experience watching from the bench with every game that passes. Conte may or may not start in September but if he does he may not finish in January either. This year it looks like we'll have some decent depth.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    That's the scenario I'm anticipating right now. If AW is medically ok and still has some gas in the tank, he's a SS option for us (probably mostly as a 2-down run stuffer in the box). That would put Steltz's roster spot in danger I would think.

At FS, I can't see anyway Conte doesn't make the team if he's healthy enough to play. You can laugh if you want but he's the best and most experienced FS we have on the roster until Vereen proves otherwise (I'm assuming Mundy will be SS). So, I'm going to call BS on Hub here. I expect Conte to be on the team and quite possibly starting at FS in September until/unless Vereen overtakes him.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I believe the thing they're most attracted to Wilson for is his ability to blitz and his size. Watching his highlight vids what I see is a 6'3" 230lb SS who RBs can't handle on a blitz. He simply blows them up. The Achilles issue shouldn't have as much effect on that as on his coverage skills.

But yeah, he's a LB size SS who can add a lot of presence in the box and he has the size to handle some of the TEs we may face as a nickel Safety. Of course that's assuming he hasn't lost too much speed or maneuverability because of the Achilles injury. But just as a vet presence in the locker room and as a blitzing Safety he can add something.

Once camp and the preseason games roll we'll see whether or not he can still play.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Man this is what pisses me off ... do we have Safety's?