Interesting Interview with Brian Urlacher (video).............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Brian talks about his contract negotiations, the reasons behind his retirement and how he'd like for his career to be looked upon. It's length (over 7 minutes) and very thorough. I think you'll all appreciate his comments and his honesty. He comes across very well.

Can't post video but here's the link. IMHO it's worth watching.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/brian-urlacher-negotiations-bears-mad-110000890.html
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,716 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    Uh soul, not trying to pick a fight with you here, but Urlacher's made way too many negative comments since the end of the season for anyone to "appreciate" his honesty.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,327 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,869ß
    I agree with Burris. He made too many honest comments in the past to really care what honest comments he made now.

But, I listened to the interview anyway. There is nothing new. More of his talk about how the Bears disrespected him with their offer. The time line for when everything too place. All stories and lines we have heard before.

But I will call him a liar. Paraphrased he said "I would have played for their offer if they told me that's all they had for me" to that I call bullshit. By sticking with their $2 offer that is EXACTLY what they were saying. I know he has suffered a concussion or two but it was spelled out quite plainly.

Also kinda double talks. I didn't want to play for anyone else..... But if someone would have paid me....

He retired due to lack of desire to play and lack of interest from other teams (none).

But anyway, the video may be new, didn't check the date stamp, but the news is old.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    :7_11_4[1]::10_14_2[1]::3_8_12v[1]:
  5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LMAO the Bears were supposed to beg him to stay,... LMAO
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

ya forgot one ;),.... allow me to FINISH that
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    You know what I find both amusing and sad. You all would rather believe what was written about this stuff and quotes that were taken out of context than to listen to the man in his own words with all of their inflections and emotions attached to them. If you prefer those words laundered through some fucking sportswriter's head and interpreted for you to hearing it straight from the horses mouth it's pretty sad.

That was as honest and as accurate as it gets but if you choose remain prejudiced because of what you READ then you'll probably close your ears and your mind to the real story from one of the principals won't you? And isn't that exactly what you're doing here with these responses? It's just typical "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up". You guys are wayyyyyy too much like my ex-wife.

Sorry I bothered you with some facts. Just ignore this and go back to grazing like the sheep you all are following your shepherds from the Trib and Sun Times sports departments. Baaaaaaa Baaaaaaa
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,327 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,869ß
    We heard his words before Soul. Not the reporters interpretation of them. The same words from his mouth.

This is just him saying the same thing
    • Like Like x 4
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    all the baaaa'ing is coming from the one guy that will only listen to one source, and not the other side.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Urlacher is tarnishing his legacy with these comments. During his career he hated to talk to the media. Now, you cannot stop him.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    You know Nakoma, that is the single most ridiculous and stupid comment yet. Tell me where in that interview he ever asked to be begged to stay. I'll tell you where......nowhere. You're twisting his words to fit your own concept of it just like quite a few other. If that's what you got out of it then you either didn't listen or you listened but can't hear and actually that doesn't surprise me.

I'll just lump you in with all the others who need the sportswriters who follow the team to tell you how to think. Join the ranks of the flock of sheep who can't reason things out and think on your own. Baaaaaa. I guess I shouldn't be all that amazed by this. Very few posters here and very few writers put it all together and wrote about is as accurately as Brian described it.

Maybe you should go back and read the quotes from Phil Emery earlier this year where HE is saying that he wants Urlacher back and when you find those and read them then look up the ones where Trestman says the same thing. He wasn't asking to be begged to return. He didn't have to. But they were telling him one thing and doing something completely different when they were "off camera".

It was all politics to Emery and the Bears. They didn't want to incur fan's wrath by dumping him but since Brian wouldn't just up and retire like they wanted him too they had to figure out another way. Why as for a proposal saying you don't want to insult the guy and then go ahead and do it anyway? The honest answer is that they didn't want him back and when you look at the big picture that becomes very clear. If they did they would have done what Brian said and called him in and said we want you but this is all we can afford to pay you because we don't have the cap room for more. But the didn't did they and that's the smoking gun in all of it.

OK, brother if you've even bothered to read and understand any of this great and now you can run off and join the rest of the flock. Jeezus but I'm getting sick of this herd mentality. No matter which player it's about if the sportswriters write it then it must be true right. Just like with Cutler if THEY say he's a baby and a jerk you all just nod your heads in agreement and keep those opinions until the tell you it's OK to think differently. I'd be willing to bet if one of them wrote a favorable article about that interview and Urlacher's honesty you'd all be agreeing with that too.

Baaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaa
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,327 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,869ß
    Urlacher is the only one speaking on this subject. Don't think the Bears ever said one word on what happened.

So forgive us for not falling in line and completely buying the only story we are told. Especially from the man trying to garner fans favor after ripping not too long ago.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It was an interview. He didn't ask to be interviewed and he didn't use it as a soapbox either. He explained why he chose to retire because that's what he was asked to do. He answered the questions he was asked and no more and he answered them honestly which is a hell of a lot more than Phil Emery did earlier this year.

Emery has done some great things for this team but this is a deal he handled very poorly and he's hoping it dies down and goes away but it seldom goes away easily when you're talking about an iconic player and a future HOF'er. ChiCity you are the biggest crap stirrer on this board so naturally truth and honesty would appeal to you. As far as I'm concerned your threads are a waste of time and the only insight your posts ever offer are the ones into your screwy mind.

OK, now I'm done with you to. You may wander over and join the flock now if you wish. Baaaaaa Baaaaaa
  14. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Twisting his words ???? an offer is an offer

If he would have played for the money he was being offered,...he'd be here right now END of STORY

BUT THEN there's this little gem of a thang ,I know you missed in the interview

I see Benji didn't miss it ,.... I sure as hell didn't miss it

Soul ,... there's no reading between the lines here ,.... it's plain ,.... it's simple

HE DID SAY THIS
    Sorry Soul ,.... but Slacks has opened his mouth a few times too many times especially of late ,..

AND Man ! ! ,.... he really stepped on one here,... by saying that
    • Like Like x 2
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    Urlacher needs to just go away, he needed to go away before last year. He hasn't been "Urlacher for the last several years" Teams didn't fear him like they did back in the day.

I'm glad he's gone, I wish it had been on better terms but it was w/out question one of Emery's best moves.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    No they didn't Benji because the truth wouldn't look so good and even Larry Mayer couldn't find a way to cast it in a good light. So the Trib writers who usually back the decisions the Bear make tried to do it for them by casting Brian in a bad light. All he did was tell the truth about all of it and the contract deal was only part of his decision process.

He's not trying to garner fans favor! He could care less what fans think. It's his teammates he cares most about and THAT part he made very clear. There have been about two articles I've read that have told this story exactly as Brian told it in this interview and dozens of slightly different versions written by the rest. So you go figure out what to believe yourself.

You and all the rest have a choice about this and a lot more. You can either look at the facts yourselves (all of them) and form an opinion or keep on doing what most of you have been doing. Letting the media tell you what and how to think. It's been exactly the same with Cutler. The media paints him with a black hat and you all follow and no in agreement.

Use your own heads for a change and stop letting the media lead you around like sheep. You all damn your former heroes with faint praise whenever the media suggests it. You don't want truth you want a good story and that's what they give you. It's much easier to pick on Cutler facial expressions than to try to understand his competitiveness and frustration with losing isn't it?

One reason I haven't been posting much lately is that I'm tired of this herd mentality that hangs on every word Biggs or Haugh write as if they are the ultimate disseminators of the truth. They're not and just like Trib writers before then they will always paint the team in a favorable light vs any one player and they've ben doing it since George Halas was a young man. Ditka never used the words "Halas throws nickels around like manhole cover" and he's told people that but because that what the papers quoted him as saying it will always be a part of that legend.

I'm not gonna debate this shit any longer. I just produced an interview when Urlacher was asked to explain why he retired and his post retirement plans and he answered the questions he was asked. That and no more. Brian Urlacher has never been a BS artist and he's never been known to couch his words and he didn't here either. If someone can't look at that interview and know that he's telling it spot on to the way it happened then they can't read people well at all. What he said was the truth and not what you all chose to believe and still do based on what someone wrote.

I believe I'll just stop contributing to these type of discussions any longer and spend more time elsewhere. I don't enjoy debating with sheep and those whose operating systems discounts facts that run opposite their not so well formed personal opinions.

Adios.
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,327 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,869ß
    Or maybe... Just maybe the Bears don't want to embarrass Urlacher with the truth.

Perhaps Urlacher is telling the 100% truth. Or maybe not. Point is, with just his story no one knows.

As for facts, all we have is what Urlacher and his agent (paid to do whatever Urlachwr tells him) say are the facts.

Not thinking that there may be something more than what Urlacher said is rather short sighted and more of a sheep than those who are willing to believe there could be more than what his story is.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'm outta this debate and actually this whole place for a while. I think I'll go over to the Bleacher Report and kick some of their so called "columnists" in the ass over the stupid shit they write too. Start thinking on your own for a change guys. The sheer number of posts around here who simply follow the party line laid down by the media is disappointing. It's more like debating the Tribune sportswriters or the ESPN talking heads than my fellow fans.

Do you all remember the Frank Zappa quote Loki had in his sig line for awhile. It said "most people wouldn't know music if it bit them in the ass". Well I'm getting to feel just about the same about facts and truth around here. A lot of you wouldn't recognize those if they bit you in the ass either. As long as you let the media spoon feed you all that you choose to believe you're no more than an extension of them. I can read THEIR opinions in the newspaper every day. I come here to listen to some different ones and talk about that but lately it's all the same. The scribes post their take on something and rather than getting facts from the participants themselves (which is what I'd hoped that interview would do) you take the lazy approach and simply read what the media prints then line up behind that.

They exist to sell newspapers or sell commercial air time in support of broadcasts Facts and truth will always be of a secondary concern to them. They have deadlines to meet so any quote or sound bite will do if it gets that done. It doesn't have to be factual or the truth it just has to be said by someone they can quote. That's the way it works. I won't buy into most of it because most of it makes no logical sense and it wouldn't to most people if they actually thought it through. I guess it's just easier for many to type an opinion that agrees with the crowd than it is to search for facts to back up a less popular viewpoint. I may well be the king of unpopular viewpoints but at least I've spent some time doing the research to back up those viewpoints. Maybe you all should do the same.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,837 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    [​IMG] Briaaaaaaaaan Urlaaaaaacher Briaaaaaaan Urlaaaaaacher Briaaaaaaaan Ulraaaaacher
    • Like Like x 3
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,436 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,460ß
    I've been pretty critical of Urlacher, ever since his negative comment about the fans, towards the end of his career.

But, Brian did well in this interview.

I appreciated hearing HIS side of how this happened. I was impressed with how Brian was respectful of the Bears organization in that interview - and it came across as a very "down to earth" and honest description of how it all went down. I can't blame the guy for wanting to tell his side of the story here, in a respectful way. Hey, I'd want to do the exact same thing if it were my career. It helps bring closure to it all, and in a good way.

I realize a lot of folks will say this is all water over the dam, and past history - and be critical of Brian doing this interview. But, I appreciated the "closure" this interview put on the situation. Again, it was done in good taste, full of respect & Brian was very articulate and honest.

I've said over-and-over that Brian Urlacher gave so much to the Bears team for so many great years - that I'm willing to give him a "pass" on everything, and I just want to remember the good things about him. It's not like he's done anything wrong, other than having struggled with this final transition of having his career ended. Both sides probably could have handled the situation better. They didn't. But now, after this interview, it leaves me with a better appreciation of Brian Urlacher.

Let's remember the good times.

Great post Soul. Thanks for posting it.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2