Interesting Look At Some Mocks..........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,046ß
    Ratings:
    +2,073 / 7 / -3
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Chicago Bears 2014 NFL Draft Fact or Fiction
    By Ross Read , Featured Columnist Apr 10, 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2023560-chicago-bears-2014-nfl-draft-fact-or-fiction
    Use the link to review the choices and your ← → (arrow) keys to browse the slideshow
    [​IMG]
    Michael Conroy
    Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller

We are less than one month away from the NFL draft. Rumors and mock drafts will continue to come fast and furious as we await the night Rodger Goodell officially tells us the Houston Texans are on the clock.

The Bears have made a ton of impact moves in free agency and the plan has been centered toward rebuilding the defense. It's highly likely that the team will continue the trend in the first few rounds of the draft.

Given there are still holes at defensive tackle, safety and cornerback, speculation has run rampant on how the Bears will fill those slots. Who's been visiting Halas Hall? Who might be atop the big board?

Cycle through as we decipher the major rumors and decide whether they are fact or fiction.

Donald; Fact (best overall pick and not a guy we should pass on if he's still one the board at #14)

Hageman; Fiction (a poor and very risky pick who has big bust potential and isn't a good fit anyway)

Bucannon; Fact (I might prefer Jimmie Ward but if he's gone Bucannon is probably next in line)

Mosley; Fiction (too much speculation over where he would play best and could easily fail as a 4-3 MLB)

Fuller; Fact (hoping is doesn't come to this since I don't feel he's worth the #14 pick but still possible)

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,132ß
    Ratings:
    +4,547 / 10 / -8
    love how these idiot writers know what they are talking about if they fit souls thought process.

3. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,046ß
    Ratings:
    +2,073 / 7 / -3
    I thought this was kind of an interesting approach as far as wading though those who might both still be on the board and have been mentioned as possible picks for the Bears. Use the link to run through the slide show over at B/R. Yeah, yeah I know but it's not all bad.

To me the Donald/Bucannon picks in one and two would keep me very happy. Like I said I'd prefer Ward but if he's not there then it's next man up and we do need to draft a Safety who can come in and compete to start. My biggest issue with the Bucannon pick is that to me he's a pure SS. I don't see him having the goods to play deep and be any better and maybe worse in deep coverage than Conte has been at times. In fact Conte may even be the better of the two at that . So this pick comes down to whether or not they feel Mundy can move to FS and compete with Conte and Jennings.

Hageman would be my nightmare pick and the one that would cause me to scream what in hell are you thinking Phil? As much as I think Mosley will be a good pro I still don't see him as a 4-3 MLB as much as I do a 3-4 ILB or a WLB where his speed and range will work out better. The Fuller pick at #14 would just make me blink and question whether he was worth it. He needs a year to add some weight and strength so we using that pick on a non-starter and to me that's a no no. IMHO Fuller isn't worth that pick and falls into the mix with Roby and Verrett but will go higher because of his size advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,737ß
    Ratings:
    +3,584 / 13 / -0
    Pretty much on the same page. I'm not all that high on Hageman (at #14), but Jernigan or Nix might work. I'd like Donald though. I was actually ok with Mosely, but maybe I'm wrong... IDK. I think Fuller at 14 is too high, but while I loved the Kyle Long pick, thought it also was a reach. So if he picks Fuller, I'll try to forget about McClellin and take a wait and see attitude.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,046ß
    Ratings:
    +2,073 / 7 / -3
    No one will ever convince me that Nix will be of any benefit to the Bears. I don't like his size, I don't like the fact that he may have a potentially chronic knee problem, I don't like the fact that he'll add nothing to the pass rush, and I don't like the fact that he lacks the demeanor to play DT or NT in the NFL. He's nice kid and THAT'S the problem.

I also have this personal suspicion about any ND DLineman because they're never as good as advertised in the pros. I believe that guys like Nix and Tuitt will get drafted high enough and will play in the NFL but that they'll never be that kind of player their draft status projects them to be. I'd take Jernigan 99 times out of 100 before I take any of the other DL rated to go in one.

If we hadn't drafted Bostic last year and still need to get our investment out of him I'd me more oriented towards taking a shot with Mosley because I think if he goes to the right team and plays in a 3-4 scheme I think he'll be a very good LB but I have suspicions about him in a 4-3 as anything other than a WLB and by all rights that's where Bostic should be after Briggs hangs it up.

6. Bearsinhouston

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,737ß
    Ratings:
    +3,584 / 13 / -0
    I guess our views on Nix diverge because I think he would be able to penetrate. If I didn't think so, I'd be right there with you. His injury does worry me, but there have been injured players that came in like they were never injured and there were some that looked like they never were. Do you want to take a risk with #14 -- not especially. Doesn't mean I'm right, but those were my thoughts. I'd by far prefer Donald, but not sure that he will still be there. Someone good will be though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,132ß
    Ratings:
    +4,547 / 10 / -8
    Nix also lost a ton of weight, so the knee should hopefully be less of an issue. I agree w/you BiH, everything I've read about him is that he CAN penetrate and get after the qb, and can do it from either 3-4 NT or 4-3 NT or DT, he's a rare athlete(if the med sheet comes back clean) that can play both schemes.

8. Bearsinhouston

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,737ß
    Ratings:
    +3,584 / 13 / -0
    yeah... like I said, you never really know if you are right or wrong on this stuff, but I'd be ok with him or Jernigan if we wiff on Donald. Some days I think Nix would even be better than Jernigan. I flip flop. He has a lot of ability and potential. It just depends on whether or not I think he will reach his potential or not on any given day as to whether I think he would be a good pick or not.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,132ß
    Ratings:
    +4,547 / 10 / -8
    Everyone from 10-32 has flaws, Donald is his size, Nix is his knee, Jernigan his work ethic, Hageman his "fit" Tuitt his "fit" Mosely his "fit" Pryor if he's a FS or SS, etc. No one at 14 is going to be a transendent player, at least no one is calling for that, not even Donald.

I'll be happy w/just about anyone this year unless the team passes on a guy that clearly fell, or at least didn't take advantage of that fall to drop back. This years draft has a TON of really good talent, but lacks the top end guys so there is no real reason to fret when the team has so many holes; as long as those get plugged somewhere the team should be good.

Give me in any order
    Dix
    Donald
    Pryor
    Nix
    Dennard
    Hagemen
    Tuitt
    Mosely
    Jernigan
    Gilbert

in the first and you are getting a guy that will play and contribute day 1, that's all I care about.

10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,534ß
    Ratings:
    +1,462 / 4 / -0
    I realize Mosley played in a 34 but most scouting reports believe he can play anywhere including 43 MLB. Urlacher was fast and played a Hybrid S-LB at Arizona. Mosley to me seems very similar to URL, he can cover both zone and man, which is critical to a cover 2 is a good cover MLB. He is a good tackler and he is fast. Not pulling up his specs but if I remember he is like 6-2 and 245 lbs, and could easily add 10 lbs to bulk up a little more, which all college players generally need to do when they hit the NFL. Pretty significant fall in skill to Skov or Borland. I keep going round the merry-go-round but would be happy if we just build up the front 7 because after Buchannon none of the remaining S in this draft appear to be better than what we have (Dixon, Loston, Bailey and Reed may be equivalent) to Steltz.

Now the marry go round, Mosley or Donald in rd 1 vs Quarles and Skov. And if you through a S in there for rd 2, in rd 3 you hope for Borland or Skov vs Sutton. Not taking Donald seems to benefit the other players but you miss that top 3 tech. Just wish the draft would get here and Phil could solve the puzzle.

• Like Like x 1