Interesting Look At Some Mocks..........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,278 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    yeah, I come back to that very same thinking too. And with both of us thinking that is the way to go, the best course is probably to look elsewhere for the right answer!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    yeah, I'm in too. Donald rd 1, Quarles rd 2, take somebody like McGill, Watkins, or Aikens. later to play S and insurance against injury to Peanut and /or Jennings.
  3. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Veteran

Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß

I think Donald is good enough that you can make use of him in either system. Good players find a way. That said, he's be a better fit in a 4-3.

Will he make it to fourteen? A lot may depend on who over-reaches for a qb, none of which I think is good enough to be a top ten pick.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    His lack of size would make it very hard for him to play a head up 2 gap role. What makes him so good is his explosive get off and burst that let's him beat his man into his gap and cause havoc....having to muck it up with an OL who prolly has 20 lbs on him and "feel n peel" would minimize what he does well while exploiting his only weakness.

For that reason I'm only worried about 4-3 teams taking him in the 9-13 range. If a 3-4 2 gap system wants a guy they may reach on Nix or even Hageman but more likely they take an edge guy in Mack or Barr
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If Donald is available and we don't take him? Would that signal a basic change in our defensive scheme? I have been thinking about this for a few days. Donald's skill are pretty scheme specific. He is pretty much a prototypical 3 technique DT. He might be able to play DE is some schemes but I think that is a reach.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,278 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Thought about that myself. I don't think so necessarily. It might be that he sees more of an importance (or value) at whatever position he picks. If it another DT, then depending on who, (Nix), that might in fact signal a desire to bring in some elements of a different scheme.
  7. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Veteran

Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß

It depends on whom we select instead. If they take a safety, for example, it could simply mean that the need was greater there or that they felt it was the best value.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    On the first two downs he's as much of a pure 3 tech as you'll find but you could move him around on passing downs if it gained you an edge. He less scheme specific as a pass rusher because he has a DE or OLB foot speed but you wouldn't want him matched against a big OT who could neutralize him too easily on running downs. He could easily rush from RDE at times because he has the speed to turn a corner and pursue.

The thing is we have no need to use him at DE right now other than to shake up another teams blocking schemes with mismatches. The ideal spot for him is playing at 3 tech between two great run players like Houston and Ratliff who can help cover his ass while he tries to blow into the backfield. I can envision that real easily which to me is why this kid can add every bit as much to out run defense as he can the pass defense.