Interesting read on CornWash: Why isn't he starting?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 3 / -6
    Georgia football: Cornelius Washington intends to put it all together
    Published: August 17, 2011

By SETH EMERSON — semerson@ledger-enquirer.com

ATHENS, Ga. -- Cornelius Washington looks the part. When he walks through the locker room, even his Georgia teammates stare at his physique. His coach, Mark Richt, jokes that “he’s a guy you want to get off the bus first.”

So what’s the hold-up?

Why isn’t the junior on anybody’s preseason all-SEC lists? Never mind that, why hasn’t he even secured a starting spot for Georgia?

It’s not athletic ability. His high school team used him as a receiver.

It’s not a lack of confidence. Washington definitely has that.

And it’s not fierceness. Earlier this month, Georgia cornerback Brandon Boykin was talking about the team’s leaders being a fun-loving group when he added, “There’s a couple people on the team that people are scared of.”

Boykin was asked who might that be.

“Cornelius,” he answered. “They don’t say stuff to Cornelius. Cornelius doesn’t play.”

He stands 6-foot-4 and is listed at 269 pounds. His hands surround and envelop anyone who shakes them. He was so big entering 10th grade that Richt offered him a scholarship, one of the earliest times Georgia has done that.

“He’s a physical specimen.” inside linebacker Christian Robinson said.

“He’s a guy that he’s got the measurables you look for. He’s got the physical attributes,” said defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, who coached in the NFL for 11 years and has seen his share of big, athletic bodies.

The question, then, is when will all that size and talent turn into results?

This year, vows Washington.

“I pass the look test,” he said. “But hard work -- I’ve worked hard, and coach Grantham teaches us. We know a lot, we have the knowledge of more than just my side of things. I have the knowledge of more of the defense. I’m seeing the bigger picture.”

Washington’s role is a bit different this year. He played strongside linebacker last year, but he is now at weakside linebacker, which was vacated when Justin Houston left for the NFL.

Houston had 10 sacks out of that spot last year. Washington isn’t diminishing expectations, even while he still needs to beat out freshman Ray Drew for the starting role.

“I think my chances are real good to have the same kind of stats (as Houston),” Washington said. “I’m happy and proud that coach put me in a position like that to make plays, and I’m happy that he had the trust in me that I could go out and do it. It just gives me extra motivation to go out and work a lot harder.”

He also said he will “most definitely” have more hits on the quarterback this season.

Washington was credited with six quarterback pressures last year and one sack. That was way down from his freshman season, when he had 13 pressures and four sacks.

But Washington was sharing time with then-senior Darryl Gamble, who was first on the depth chart. Washington was the team’s starter in the nickel package, in a pass-rush role.

Still, when Drew committed, the coaches didn’t put him at defensive end or have him compete with Jarvis Jones (Carver) at strongside linebacker. They put him at Washington’s spot.

Never mind that, the veteran said.

“I’m confident,” Washington said. “Ray, he’s a good kid, he’s a great player. But he has a ways to go, he has some learning to do -- and he’s gonna get there. We’re teaching him. I feel like he’s gonna be real good and he’s probably gonna get a chance to play for us this year. But ...”

Washington then literally cleared his throat.

“I know what I’m doing,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011...tball-cornelius-washington.html#storylink=cpy
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 3 / -6
    I absolutely HATE using BleacherReport.... but there is this as well (from this past April)

Cornelius Washington: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Georgia DE
    By
    Matt Stein
    (Featured Columnist) on April 26, 2013

[​IMG] Daniel Shirey-USA TODAY Sports
    While Cornelius Washington never matched the hype surrounding him when he first joined the Georgia Bulldogs, he still has the skill and look of an NFL player.

With Washington, it is all about potential. He never really reached his ceiling on a consistent basis during college, but it's still an extremely high ceiling.

Let's take a look at five things you need to know about the former Georgia defensive end.

Full Name: Cornelius Washington

Birthday: September 10, 1989

Hometown: Hephzibah, Ga.

High School: Burke County High School

Major: Sports management

Year: Senior

Washington was a highly regarded recruit coming out of high school. He simply dominated lesser opponents on his way to earning the No. 3 ranking at defensive end in the country from Rivals.com.

There isn't too much that is impressive in terms of statistics from Cornelius Washington during his collegiate career. He redshirted as a freshman, despite being a coveted high school prospect, but that never seemed to help him fully develop.

Washington only managed 10.5 career sacks and 17 career tackles for loss over the course of his four-year career.

Year Solo Tackles Total Tackles Tackles for Loss Sacks
    2009 9 13 5.0 4.0
    2010 18 24 3.0 1.0
    2011 11 17 6.0 5.0
    2012 8 22 3.0 0.5

All statistics courtesy of sports-reference.com.

Measurables

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 265 lbs.

Arm Length: 34"

Hand Size: 9.5"

Combine Results

40-yard dash: 4.55 seconds (top performer)

Bench press: 36 reps (top performer)

Vertical jump: 39" (top performer)

Broad jump: 128" (top performer)

Cornelius Washington had one of the most dominant combine performances this year. He displayed incredible strength and athleticism throughout the drills.

All combine results courtesy of NFL.com.

There was a lot of hype surrounding Cornelius Washington heading into his final season for the Georgia Bulldogs. In fact, the hype was so high that he was on the preseason watch list for the 2012 Butkus Award, which is given to the top linebacker in the country.

Unfortunately, Washington didn't even come close to living up to that hype, as he had one of his worst statistical seasons during his senior year. He only managed 0.5 sacks, 22 tackles and three tackles for loss.

There are some questions as to what position Cornelius Washington would be most effective in for an NFL team. Brendan Leister of DraftBrowns.com thinks Washington would look better as a 3-4 outside linebacker:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-georgia-de
  3. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 3 / -6
    going off the first article, when he was in college, it took him a while to put it all together. That likely is also the reason why he is not getting within sniffing distance of starting or even playing at the NFL level.
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    How many starters have gone down, performed poorly, or move to DT and he is still not getting a shot.

He must be pretty bad, because this team is not afraid to put a rookie on the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    He must not understand the schemes and gets sucked in on poor reads. Hopefully we can get him on track. It sounds like he could be a monster on the field.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 3 / -6
    All the physical attributes and athletic ability means jack shit if you cant put it together and understand the schemes. If he struggled with it in college, maybe that is his issue now as well.
  7. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Do you think Tucker is a 'coach' that can actually teach his players? So far the isn't a lot of info on that. T-man certainly has the skills on offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    That is what I have been wondering. They draft CornWash as a phenomenal athlete who needs more "development" in pass rushing technique. All the college scouting reports say the same thing about him. But what is Tucker doing to develop him? They should activate him and put him in games. Sure, he will make rookie mistakes, but that is part of the learning process. Instead, for whatever reasons, this is turning into more of a wasted year for him than a developmental year.
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 3 / -6
    Yes, but you should not play someone until they are ready
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    He obviously sucks if a PS guy is getting mentioned before him. Time to cut him now and go sign Huff to take over for Conte.
  11. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    James Harrison was on the way out of the league before he finally got the game plan and became D MVP
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Wow, now he is James Harrison?
    He can't even make it on the field before they bring up a PS guy?
    Seems like we have another pool jumper. At least he was only drafted in the 6th.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,273 / 3 / -6
    He was not comparing him to Harrison or saying he was him. All he did was use Harrison as an example as a player who (like CornWash) was struggling to get on the field because he could not "get it".

I agree, keep Corn Wash. He is a physical specimen that anyone would love. If he can ever figure out what the hell he is doing, he could be a beast.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    And the 5 picks before him netted starters. I can't understand the reaction to having "only 5" starters is a bad thing..
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like the kid lacks a little upstairs processing power.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    I never said he was a part of a bad draft, as a matter of fact, I did not expect a 6th rounder to start let alone a 5th rounder, but he was drafted and you would hope that he would provide depth for a team that has totally be crushed by injury.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    No, I was agreeing with ya. He's obviously not ready for the NFL if he hasn't been called up yet.
  18. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    CornWash spent a lot of time at Georgia playing LB. The Bears recruited him as a pass rusher. He has great speed and power but lacks technique. It's that second move after initial contact with the blocker (rip, swim, spin) to get past him. That is what I noticed in preseason games. But once he gets clear, he gets to the QB very fast. He has a 4-yr. contract, so there's time to see if can learn technique to match his physical assets. If he ever does, he's got all-pro potential. If not, he's our next Alonzo Spellman -- a physical monster who never really got his shit together.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    Well, if you go by his stats, he NEVER did manage to "put it all together" while at UGA. Honestly, kid just looks like a workout warrior to me. He has the combine stats and the "look", and that's about it. Those two articles kinda made me lose confidence in CornWash's ability to "finally put it all together/maximize his potential." Sorry, David. On a related note, I hear that Jeff George is still looking to "put it all together."
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Don't jinx the poor kid, but it did come to my mind when they were describing his physical appearance.