Interesting read on CornWash: Why isn't he starting?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    As I recall,Bearstuff (who saw his games at UGA) said that CornWash didn't get a lot of great coaching at UGA. Whatever stats he got were done with raw speed/power. I saw a video clip of a couple of his sacks where he flattened the blocker, ran over him, and crushed the QB. You can't often do that in the NFL. You need some finesse. Is Tucker a great teacher? Hell, I don't know.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    411ß
    I still believe he could be an outstanding DL, but probably needs some development time before he is ready to play. I figure that just because a later-round rookie doesn't play his first season, it doesn't mean the guy isn't going to be a solid player. It used to be the norm, that most rookies learned that first season, and nobody thought anything negative about it. It was normal. Now folks seem to panic if a guy doesn't play right away. I'm glad we drafted him, and I'm not giving up on him being solid. But this probably isn't his year to play. I have zero problem with that.
  3. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    At this point, I don't have high expectations, but I remain very curious to what he could do even this season if they would just give him some playing time. I have even lower expectations for the guy off the practice squad.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    411ß
    I understand. My only point was that it's too early to surmise the guy is a bust. He may be. But my point is that he may not be. Too early to jump to any conclusions either way. He's a late round rookie. It's not abnormal to not be getting playing time yet. If he's not ready to play yet, then I understand the team not playing him. We're still in this division race. It's not like we can play just anyone now.
  5. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    Apparently,we can. His name is Cheta Ozougwu.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    BCH3aDOCcAATicM.jpg
    "Body by Fisher" Remind you of Spellman?
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    201ß
    Not really Spellman was a specimen, Spellman even made others players turn their heads he was crazy crazy big with absolutely no ability.
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    alonzo-spellman-bears.jpg

They are same height, but Spellman 20 pounds heavier -- mostly in legs.
    He was a force in college, because he could over-power people.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,295 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    375ß
    yeah. Spellman was impressive looking. Then he hit the field and was only average at best. Hopefully CW can break that trend. We really do need a stud DE.
  10. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    I checked Spellman's draft combine statistics...

``His height, weight, speed, movement and flexibility were all good. And I thought he was an excellent person when I interviewed him. I liked everything about him. At Indy, he ran a 5-flat 40 and 1.76 in the 10-yard dash. He ran the agility[​IMG] drills really well. He bench-pressed a 225-pound weight 24 times. His vertical jump was 31 inches. He`s an incredible athlete. ``Since Indianapolis, I have had some opportunities to watch films and he made some great plays. I think he has outstanding potential and he`ll be a big part of our defense for a number of years.``

CornWash blows him away in every category, including bench press (36 vs. 24 reps) at 20-25 less body weight. With that kind of strength and 4.55 speed in 40, he has all the physical tools. But he still has to learn how to use them at NFL level!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    411ß
    I'm not giving up on him. Let him have this rookie year to learn the ropes. Maybe they'll get him some more reps at some point this season. Even if they don't, he may still be a solid player for us. There's not crime in needed a rookie year to learn the ropes.
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I sure hope that he can turn into something, but this team and every other team in the NFL has asked rookies to step up and play when they are needed.

Well he is needed, badly, and the team has no confidence that he is capable of playing. And if we had not had so many injuries then I would have been fine with him sitting.

I guess it is just reality smacking me in the face that a lot of 6th round picks never pan out, and we just might have one of those from last years draft. I hope I'm eventually wrong, but our situation indicates that he is a long shot to make it with the Bears.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Well, he's playing today, so...
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    I think Tucker should introduce CornWash to Trestman, because Trestman doesn't know who he is. In his last interview, he said Cheta Ozougwu would be activated and said not one word about CornWash. That is disrespecting the player..

Anyway, they did get CornWash activated. Unfortunately, they only let him play a few downs. He made a couple good moves, and then they put Bass in for him. That pissed me off. On the first play, he tackled Reggie Bush for loss and was the closest Bear to the fumble. Then, he did a nice bull rush on the tackle and hit Stafford just after he threw an incomplete pass to Megatron. That was closer than Peppers or Bass got to Stafford all day. They rewarded CornWash by putting him on the bench for the rest of the game. I studied Bass today. He had a typical Bear DE performance -- never got close to Stafford and gave up Bush runs of 40 and 14 yards right over his spot. Like McClellin, he is not good against the run. Peppers was another "no show" performance.

As in Redskins game, the Bears win the game if they could stop the opponent's last scoring drive. I watched that 49er/Panthers game. Panthers murdered Kaepernick with their pass rush all day, including the final series. I am green with envy of their DL.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Bass played very well, considering how bad he's been in small amounts, thus far. Washington simply isn't "good enough" to start.
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,716 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    seems to be the case
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +638 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    584ß
    Bass did not play well at all. He never got in the same zip code as Stafford all day. That's the #1 job of a DE. I watched the game twice. On running plays they opened holes on his side. As I said,the Bush runs for 40 yards and 14 yards went through Bass. I am not campaigning for CornWash to start, but based on his comparison with Bass today, he deserves more than 4 plays per game.
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,175 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    If Corn Wash's football I.Q. is on par with Webb's the kids in trouble before he even gets out of the gate. At least Corn Wash gets a "redshirt" year and not punched down our throats like Webb was as a starter. Still I'd like to see just a FEW plays from the guy.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,295 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    375ß
    That's been our problem. The D has been lackluster ever since Webb left. He is the key.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    635ß
    nothing we hadn't figured out by the fact that they got a guy off another teams PS to start in front of Corny. Corny was the backup today and totalled 1 whopping tackle, same as Izzy. So the bright side is the team saved money by not resigning Izzy who has been replaced by a 5th round rookie, who happened btw to be easily replaced by a PS prospect from Oakland.
    • Like Like x 1