Interesting read on CornWash: Why isn't he starting?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    As I recall,Bearstuff (who saw his games at UGA) said that CornWash didn't get a lot of great coaching at UGA. Whatever stats he got were done with raw speed/power. I saw a video clip of a couple of his sacks where he flattened the blocker, ran over him, and crushed the QB. You can't often do that in the NFL. You need some finesse. Is Tucker a great teacher? Hell, I don't know.

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,444 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,024ß
    I still believe he could be an outstanding DL, but probably needs some development time before he is ready to play. I figure that just because a later-round rookie doesn't play his first season, it doesn't mean the guy isn't going to be a solid player. It used to be the norm, that most rookies learned that first season, and nobody thought anything negative about it. It was normal. Now folks seem to panic if a guy doesn't play right away. I'm glad we drafted him, and I'm not giving up on him being solid. But this probably isn't his year to play. I have zero problem with that.

3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    At this point, I don't have high expectations, but I remain very curious to what he could do even this season if they would just give him some playing time. I have even lower expectations for the guy off the practice squad.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,444 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,024ß
    I understand. My only point was that it's too early to surmise the guy is a bust. He may be. But my point is that he may not be. Too early to jump to any conclusions either way. He's a late round rookie. It's not abnormal to not be getting playing time yet. If he's not ready to play yet, then I understand the team not playing him. We're still in this division race. It's not like we can play just anyone now.

5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    Apparently,we can. His name is Cheta Ozougwu.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    BCH3aDOCcAATicM.jpg
    "Body by Fisher" Remind you of Spellman?

7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +764 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Not really Spellman was a specimen, Spellman even made others players turn their heads he was crazy crazy big with absolutely no ability.

8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    alonzo-spellman-bears.jpg

They are same height, but Spellman 20 pounds heavier -- mostly in legs.
    He was a force in college, because he could over-power people.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,442 / 13 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,503ß
    yeah. Spellman was impressive looking. Then he hit the field and was only average at best. Hopefully CW can break that trend. We really do need a stud DE.

10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +782 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,429ß
    I checked Spellman's draft combine statistics...

``His height, weight, speed, movement and flexibility were all good. And I thought he was an excellent person when I interviewed him. I liked everything about him. At Indy, he ran a 5-flat 40 and 1.76 in the 10-yard dash. He ran the agility[​IMG] drills really well. He bench-pressed a 225-pound weight 24 times. His vertical jump was 31 inches. He`s an incredible athlete. ``Since Indianapolis, I have had some opportunities to watch films and he made some great plays. I think he has outstanding potential and he`ll be a big part of our defense for a number of years.``

CornWash blows him away in every category, including bench press (36 vs. 24 reps) at 20-25 less body weight. With that kind of strength and 4.55 speed in 40, he has all the physical tools. But he still has to learn how to use them at NFL level!

• Like Like x 1