Interesting read on CornWash: Why isn't he starting?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,851 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    LOL........maybe we're "jinxed" now. :-)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    If he is getting no playing time with as decimated as the DL has been and as lackluster a rush as we have had (are we still in last place with sacks?), there is a reason. On the other hand, we have not let him go so they must feel he has potential. I think next year he develops to the point where they think they can use him, or they will let him go.

By the way, where have all the smiley faces gone? How can we post with no smiley faces? This is a real crisis!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +444 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    JWebb ate them see the cheesy ass grin.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Kraft Mac and Cheese smiley faces. Webb always was an innovator.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß

but according to some guy on the internet that played w/#'s we should start him more and Peppers less.....8o The interwebs makes me sad sometimes.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    What can you do? There are only two possible answers to whether Trestman should have pulled Cutler out earlier, and you can see that there are people on both sides of that argument. What seems clear to one person makes no sense to another. And that is for BOTH sides of the argument.

Like I said.... what can you do? As long as people respect each others opinions, then all's good.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    as long as people understand opinions and not try to back them up w/some kind of flaky stat...sure. You cannot put up tackles and sacks of Peppers and think that he is not effecting the OL in ways those stats don't show, or not understand that the D might well be asking him to do things to sacrafice his stats for the sake of others, like stunting and taking on another OL for the sake of someone else on the DL.

As for Cutler, there are clear reasons why there is a debate, it was obvious he was not 100%, but was still medically cleared to play, but yet you should sit the guy, the same guy that was called a "pussy" b/c he went out of a NFC game? He started hot, and got worse, so the real question is, WHEN should he have been pulled.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    :rolleyes: Well if Corn Wash was able to get 1 tackle on 4 plays then he logically should have had 10 tackles on 40 plays, play the man.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    Ah the obvious extrapilation. By that Forte will have 2K yards and 16 TD's. ;)

Besides as I listened to breakdowns of the game, one of the first plays he had he was driven 5 yards behind the QB and never once tried to fight his way back into the play.

Again as bad as Pepp/Bass are, he's worse, there is no story here.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    With Bass making the big interception TD, that pretty much assures his spot as back-up when McCkellin returns, so barring further injuries , CornWash probably won't get any more snaps this season. I was studying Charles Jonson pass rush tonight. He has 8.5 sacks this season. He is pretty much a power rusher, He takes a couple steps and bull rushes. They couldn't hold him out. He would have had a sack or two if Brady hadn't gotten the ball out fast. I checked his history. He also came from UGA in 2007 draft (Bearstuff: did you see him in college?). He was 270 in college, but now 285. All his draft combine measureables (40 yd., bench press,vertical jump) were good, but not as good as CornWash. He only got into 3 games his first season -- 1 tackle, no sacks. If CornWash could bulk up to 285 (add 20 pounds), maybe he can become more of a power rusher over the next couple years. Even if his speed goes from 4.55 to 4.75 with the extra weight, that's probably a good trade-off. Johnson was 4.86 in the draft.
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    680ß
    So far Washington = John Thierry. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Maybe he's slow to develop wherever he goes but one telling fact is that with McClellin out if he was ready to play that would have been the when but the Bears activated Ozougwu (who got a strip sack) from the PS and Washington never even saw the field did he? It doesn't look good for that boy so far.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,476 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    David, just let the game come to him, some guys cannot be great right out of the bat. Just adding 20lb's isn't as easy as it sounds. Shea tried it and failed miserably. Sometimes you just have to learn to play, and sometimes it just takes being in the right system.
  13. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Heir apparent to Melton on the inside? I could see that happening.
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    I think CornWash can pack on another 15-20 pounds. He has large bones and a bit taller than Johnhson (6-4 vs. 6-2). He has been on the field for a grand total of 10 snaps this season. I have studied 9 of them. The Lions did not run any plays his direction. On both of the long Bush runs up the middle, CornWash ran a couple steps into the backfield, which took himself out of the play. Lesson: If nobody is bothering to try to block you, there's a reason. On a couple others. he is slow getting off at the snap -- probably fear of jumping off-sides. He needs to read signals and react quicker. If he can develop his skills and bulk up 15-20 pounds over the next couple years, he could be a solid DE. I think it depends on how he responds to being 53rd man this season. Will he react with determination or discouragement? Time will tell. We should all be rooting for him, because his upside potential is there.

And if he doesn't make it, at least he was only a 6th round pick, rather than a first-round DE bust like Thierry or Michael Haynes.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    CornWash can pack on as many pounds as he wants. He can build as much muscle as he wants.

But if he cannot play, if he cannot grasp the playbook it means nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DavidL

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    That's true. You need a high football I.Q. to play DE at NFL level. A lot of offensive plays are designed to sucker you out of position, and I've seen CornWash suckered into rushing the QB at least two or three times when he should have read it as a running play. The mental part of the game can't be measured with a stopwatch or yardstick. On the other hand, there's a lot of 3rd and long, where it's just beat the blocker one-on-one and get the QB. If CornWash can at least become a good pure pass rusher, we can use him on passing downs while he is (hopefully) learning the nuances of playing the position.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,851 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    I keep coming back to the thought that it may be the case that he's just not ready for prime time yet. He's still on the roster so they still feel there is some value there. He's a late round pick, and so maybe it's the case where he blooms next season. That would be fine. It's not unusual for late rounders, and UFA's to need a season before they're solid. And hey, even if he ends up just being a rock solid backup (next year), then I figure we need those guys too.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    You thinkin' he has small hands?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8