Interesting read on CornWash: Why isn't he starting?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    I thought you were going to say Ralph Jarvis lol. Either way he's better than Corn Wash too.
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Just because a guy has attributes and size you still need football mentality. I remember a guy could hardly bench anything, wasn't very fast, was undersized for his position but just played like a man possesed. That man was Brian Cox he was always around the ball and would tackle everything and anything.
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    522ß
    Yep,running fast to the wrong place just takes you out of the play faster! Conversely, if you can anticipate where the play is going makes up for lack of blazing speed. Dick Butkus wasn't particularly fast, but was involved in a lot of plays because he had an uncanny "nose for the ball."

It's way too early for these guys to write-off CornWash. As I said last night, Charles Johnson played in only 3 games his rookie year for 1 tackle and 0 sacks. Today, he is the Panthers best pass rusher.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,695 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Possible zel. Melton was a 260lb DE until a year ago when bulked up to 295lbs. Washington is an inch taller and seems to have a frame that could add weight. He might be less exposed inside as well. He was a LB at UGA so I'm guessing he's just not getting it yet. Melton was slow to come along too but once he put him at 3t and let him penetrate he found his game. Could happen with Washington too. It was his measurables that attracted Emery to him not his rep as a player. He's a project guy but they must think he'd be scooped up quick if the put him on the PS because despite not playing much he's been on the roster all year while Ozougwu worked the PS. There must be something to that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,068 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    Good points. Also, I guess I just get frustrated with people who want to definitively label a 6th-round-pick guy, a bust, because he hasn't played much his first season. We live in a time where everyone wants "instant gratification" .........so many folks see everything in a stark "black and white" way. I'm more of a guy who tries to see things in shades of gray. This Cornelius Washington could be anything from a bust to a solid starter - or anything in between. We just need to chill and let the coaches figure it out. I'm fine with waiting a season on a 6th round pick, before I "label" the guy anything - good or bad.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,663 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    I wonder if they will keep Wootton at the 3tech, he's actually been playing pretty well there considering it's his first time playing there. You could then keep Bass, Shea and hopefully Corny on the outside.

Or you could try and have Corn bulk up and move inside. All these guys are undersized OLB's now playing DE's though, it's no suprise it's taking time to figure out the pro's at a new level.
    • Agree Agree x 1