Is A Shift At LB About To Happen?................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß

And that could be simply because they stayed with their base defense because against that no huddle there was no time to sub or get fancy so you play what you know best. They may not be completely ready to play a two gap front or they simply don't want to show it this early and give anyone a chance to scout it or get tape of it.

Personally I'll be surprised if they play much two gap early on. I think they'd need both Ratliff and Ego to play it well and Ego isn't near ready for it yet. Paea and Collins really aren't two gap types and Sutton surely isn't. Not at this level playing at 290lbs. They can talk about it but I'm still not sure we have the players for it.

I'd say that playing behind Ratliff and Houston should be all the protection Shea needs to attack that B gap on his side. Those two are both very good run defenders. If they plan on leaving him there then I'll buy what Herring is selling so far and that he just needs more game reps to get it all down.

The pure fact is we really don't have single stack and shed LB period. None of them play that way. So one solution is to use the DL to eat up blockers but we really don't have those types of DT either. That makes me scratch my head and wonder where this two gap idea actually got any traction to begin with other than expecting Ego to fill that role.

The other option is to do what we've been doing and that's to attack with the entire front seven which requires some very good gap control and discipline and of course that's what they were constantly fucking up last year. But that was then and this is now. We have a DL back that can attack and play their gaps so use them.

I'll tell you what bothers me the most. Tucker seems to have his head in the clouds as far as what he can and can't play and I keep seeking chaos on the part o the younger players. They don't get it yet and to me that's a huge problem because by now they should. If this defense is so complex that it confuses us more than the other guys we're gonna end up with problems again and our younger guys will struggle to learn it.

Until I see Tucker getting the job done not just with the vets but with all of these guys he's still got one foot on my shit list.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,548 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    Well, that whole argument goes back to competently architecting the defense. It all needs to have been taken care of in concept, people(size and ability) that were brought in, etc. I love the people that we have on the line, but as you say they are not the type to take up the OL while allowing the LB to wreak havoc (which so far has been an oxymoron with Shea).

I blame Jerry (spelled Tucker!)

We will see. I am not too worked up about it at this early stage, but if these indications continue and they do not effectively take advantage of all the talent they have brought in as well as get a talented group of individuals at LB to perform well as a unit, then 'ol Mel will not make it another year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Yep, I'm not getting to worried about it yet but while the media is fond of watching the waves I like to watch where the current is flowing. That 2013 defense sucked so Emery basically went out and bought us 2/3 of a new one. Some of those guys are within a year or two of being done and we still have a couple of our own All Pros in their last years so we need young blood coming up through the ranks.

When I see kids like Fuller go out and play like a seasoned pro and Vereen come in and at least handle the last line of defense part of FS effectively I know we have some guys who are gonna develop nicely but these issues upfront especially at LB continue to nag me. That's one unit that has always been a staple of great Bears Ds. For years on end we seldom worried about those guys but now?????

It's early yet and that was a tough offense to be undergoing a baptism under to we'll see how they do against more conventional ones. Everybody struggles keeping up with a Chip Kelley offense so they aren't alone. For now I believe in Reggie Herring as much as I do anything else so until the day comes when I think he's pulling a Mike Tice and pedaling shit as shinola I'll trust his judgment and his coaching skills.

I still think at least half the problem here is that these guys should be playing in different positions than they are but unfortunately those spots are occupied by more savvy vets and yet we want them playing because they were high draft picks. I truly believe that Bostic at WILL and McClellin at MIKE can be the next Briggs and Urlacher but because we can't put them there now and let them grow together like Briggs and Urlacher did it's stunting their growth and I guess we'll just have to live with that for now.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I just keep going back in my head to the fact that the D got 4 turnovers on Chip Kelly's monster O, in it's second year after a very successful first year. They picked off Foles twice, after he only threw 2 picks all of last year. We didn't have Allen on the D, and yet we were menacing the pocket from the word go. I have to say I was quite impressed, despite the lull in the second quarter and a few big gainers. I know it's preseason, but that is most definitely a good start for me.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +614 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    Herring and Pasquineli have already shown me they can work with the players and improve them individually.

It may be pre-season secret squirrel time so they're not showing anything, but I don't see any defensive unit functioning as a whole. Same as last year, it seems like the kids don't know what they're doing in relation to the entire unit. Confusion should not exist for guys like Greene, Bostic and McClellin. Rookies are allowed a little confusion, but these guys have seen a lot of action. They should not be confused, or caught out of position anymore.

So just what is our scheme? It looks to me like our scheme is "Creative Blitzing". But creative blitzing needs to be done as part of an actual scheme so we don't leave receivers or RBs loose to pick up yardage like we saw with the Eagles. This all gets back to the architect of the scheme. The players don't have time in a play to think. They need to know what they have to do, and to be able to react without thinking. If Tucker is the architect of this new scheme, then either he hasn't properly constructed it, or he hasn't properly installed it. In either case, it's still early, maybe they just need a little time to figure it out. preseason game 2 is coming up. That gives him 2 more shots after this one to get it right before it counts. That seems cutting it a little thin to me.

Tucker's one foot in the shit pile is just about hip deep. I really hope I'm wrong, but I fear the other foot may follow the first and step into the pile soon.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    989ß
    Scheme has been explained, it's the DL occupies the OL and allows the LB's and CB's to make plays in the backfield or on the ball.

Again the 1st string D looked fine against a very nasty Philly O, it was the backups that were struggling, which against that type of O should be expected b/c your playcallers don't have time to get the play diagnosed and called before the ball is already snapped.

Hard for a guy like Shea or Bostic to look over that O and call the correct play in time; but when DJ and Briggs were out there, no issues.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,548 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    Those are all valid points.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1