Is anyone else ready to switch from the Tampa-2?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 3, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I am just curious, because I was "over" this defense several years ago. EVEN when it was "humming" back in the day, it was always outmatched by an elite QB, AND that has always been my problem with the whole "bend, but don't break" philosophy. As I understand it, the point of the Tampa-2 is to force the opposing QB to remain as patient and disciplined as possible. Everything I have read on the defense (including many interviews with Bud Carson, Tony Dungy, et. al.) states that it is predicated on the fact that by forcing the opposing QB to constantly check down and "settle for"a extended series of 5-10 yard gains, a defense will eventually "manipulate" the opposing QB into growing impatient and recklessly taking shots downfield. The problem is that truly elite QBs are more than happy to "dink and dunk" an offense to death ALL GAME LONG. How many 10+ play drives have Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, et. al. led their teams on over the years? These guys are uber-patient and disciplined...they are more than happy to "settle" for a 7-yard completion here, or a 9 yard completion there, etc. In my opinion, that is why the Cover-2 has seemingly always failed against these types of QBs. Will "gunslingers" like Favre (or Cutler for that matter) eventually lose their minds (and their patience) against a Cover-2 defense? Of course, but in today's NFL, there are too many QBs who won't. We have all seen teams with very good to elite QBs "dink and dunk" the ball quite effectively against Lovie's Cover-2 over the years, even when it was at its best. If you want to win a Super Bowl, which is obviously the ultimate goal, you ARE going to have to defeat a few elite QBs along the way, and I just don't think that a defense which employs the uber-passive philosophy of the Tampa-2 (we'll just force them to run as many plays per drive as possible, with the hope that they will eventually make a mistake before scoring a TD) is up to that task. Since we are going to have to rebuild our defense in the offseason anyway, why not try something new?
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    BMG,
    The tampa 2 can be modified.Modiefied. It depends on the personal.
  3. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    The thing is, how many Rodgers, Manning, or Brady's are there in the league? I think that if the Tampa-2 has the correct personnel, it is very effective. It was shown to be in Tampa and here in Chicago as well with great success. Just like JJ, it can be modified. Look at how much hybrid guys like Capers in GB run. If you have the proper personnel, you can have a lot of diversity in your D. I don't see any reason to blow it up.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,290ß
    I don't care if we run the Tampa-2/cover 2, 4-3, 3-4, flex or 46.

Just stop someone from scoring on us
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,884 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,184ß
    Well, it works. It eventually manipulates Cutler into reckless downfield shots.

In all seriousness, I agree with several of the comments. It is a solid scheme and we have the personnel for it -- and it can be tweaked. On the other hand, I don't care if we use the wrinkled nipple 3 defense. Just find a way to stop the opposing teams from moving the ball at will. That scheme is apparently called the Tucker 11. We need to tweak it pretty quick. Bears fans don't like to see an ineffective D.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    The 3-4 Demands a Monster NT, and the 4-3 Demands a Disruptive 3Tech DT. We don't really have either, so I guess we must stick with the 4-3 Tampa 2, until Emery starts his rebuild.

I do see Shea as a fit into a 3-4, but we would need another OLB and a monster NT. If Emery/Trestman want a 3-4 then they are going to have to wait till next year. I'm not opposed to it at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,689 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    Tackling is a problem this year. If you can't tackle an opponent, you're screwed no matter what defense you run. Tucker said that they're working on tackling basics this week. Let's see if they improve against the Saints.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I guess my main problem with the Tampa -2 is the fact that it is, by and large, a conservative defense. I prefer a balls to the wall, blitzkrieg, THERE WILL BE NO DUNKIRK ON MY WATCH type of defense. I would rather blitz and give up a 99 yard TD than be bled to death slowly by 8-10 yard gains. Maybe that's just me.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    The Bears do NOT use the Tampa-2 exclusively. They use a variety of looks. IMHO the person calling the plays for the "D" needs to get his sh!t together and put players in a position to make plays. I also think the entire "D" should be made to watch tape of Rugby EVERY day in order to learn proper tackling technique. Tackling execution of the "D" SUCKS BIG TIME and reminds me of "Camp Lovie" where no tackling drills were ever used. Very frustrating as we have the players but NO PLAN !
    :mad:
    • Like Like x 2
  10. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    sounds like OMC is PISSED!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Mostly frustrated. We should have handed the Lions their asses on a paper plate. I just don't know what the coaching staff was thinking. I sure wish Toub was still here. His absence is blatantly obvious !
    :mad::mad::mad:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,884 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,184ß
    yeah. I have to say that I agree with that. When Rivera was here, we attacked. I loved it. Put that together with the ball take-away priority taught by Love and you would have a killer D.
  13. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Gotta laugh as during the few bits of Bears games I get to see, that was my thought as well "Get 'em a Rugby tackling coach." In Rugby knocking the guy over doesn't accomplish anything. The ball carrier must be brought down in the grasp of the tackler. Seems that a lot of tackling problems result from guys trying to deliver highlight reel hits rather than just simply bringing the ball carrier down.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Having played Rugby for 20 years it pains me to see the utter lack of tackling technique on display every week from not only the Bears but the NFL in general.
    If players learned proper tackling the league wouldn't have the "Headhunting" problem that exists today. Wake up already NFL !
    o_O
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Nate8727

Nate8727 Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I just want them to stop running Prevent defense, which only prevents you from winning.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    Speaking of TOUB ... Devin Hester ... he runs straight up the middle on returns.
    Either he doesnt have it anymore... or its coaching.
    Its not good from what has been displayed so far.
    Remember when we used to start in THEIR side of the field ?