Is Emery's M.O. Playing Defensive Players Out of Position?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, May 1, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So Emery's talk about drafting a CB who could move to S during today's pre-draft press conference had me thinking?

Is his modus operandi playing Defensive Players Out of Position?

He did it with Brandon Hardin who was a CB he tried at S and failed miserably.

He did it with Shea McClellin. Shea was projected as a 3-4 LB and Emery wanted him as a DE. McClellin at DE failed miserably.

Then he talked about possibly revisiting the failed Hardin experiment.

I sure hope that he doesn't make a habit of this. Because it could be his undoing.

If he wants a player for a certain position he should draft that position.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    I did not hear what he said, but there are a couple players in Jaylen Watkins and Joyner who alternated between S and CB last yr in college. Not sure if this is what he was eluding to and if that would qualify as out of position or not. Somebody like Walt Aikens is only ran a 5.6 or something close to it so he may be better at S without the speed typical CB's have in the 4.4 range.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,000ß
    I wouldn't count Hardin's position switch as why he failed, I think that was all the injury.
    It's been on record that Lovie wanted Shea for DE, not Emery, if that's true, that is also not on Emery

As for the next CB to play S, it depends on what they want to do/pick at 1. Reality has 2 maybe 3 picks at S that can start day 1, and the rest are huge maybe's but the CB class is deeper and maybe they're hoping to push that kid into a starting S role for 1 yr until they can start at CB when Tillman retires/moves on. I think it speaks more about how Pryor and Dix are a clear cut above all the rest of the S's, then it does Emery's want to move D players out of position.

What he does like, and it doesn't seem to work often is "versatile" players, guys that can do more then 1 thing, but in the NFL it seems players that play at high levels at other positions are rare breeds, I wish he'd take a guy that was X position and let the kid become a master of that position instead of saying we need you to learn x/y and z. But he doesn't give two shakes about what I want, and I don't think he's going to change that.

Versatile players he's picked:
    Shea(DE/OLB): failed at DE
    Hardin: CB/S(he felt he could play S)
    Long: G/T
    Bostic: ILB/OLB
    Washington DE/OLB(he played olb in college)
    E-Rod TE/H-Back

Of his early to mid picks only Greene and Jeffery break that mold.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,000ß
    when you look at the above players, who are the players that fit that mold in this draft that Emery could pick:
    Tuitt(DT-DE 3-4/4-3)
    Hageman(NT-DE 3-4/4-3)
    Nix(NT/DT 3-4/4-3)
    Ealy(OLB/DE)
    Mosely(OLB/ILB)
    Maybe Gilbert or Dennard IF Emery thinks they can play safety.

I still have to think that Pryor/Dix are in the conversation b/c of the severe need of a day 1 starting S, but those aren't givens IF Emery follows his pattern.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    ric, the closer the draft gets, the more I agree with pretty much everything you say. :)

Donald definitely doesn't fit the Emery mold. I'd be shocked if Emery picked him, if Donald were there at 14. If I had to pick a position that I think he's going at 14, I think it's almost definitely Safety.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I think looking at CB's that can also play safety means the normal safeties suck. Starting to think that's gonna be our first pick
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,000ß
    biggs was just on the score statisically there is only a 50% chance the top dt is there at 14 since 2000. the avg spot taken is 9 or 10.

heres the one caveat i would make emery has never picked this high so maybe that will change him but i wouldnt bet on it
  8. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I don't think Emery feels it's the best move to make a CB a safety. I think he was just advising his staff to look for that possibility with how thin the draft is at safety (maybe this indicates us looking to take more than one).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...hil-emery-ha-ha-clinton-dix-draft-preparation

2. The Bears understand their needs at safety need to be addressed.

That may mean taking Louisville's Calvin Pryor or Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix on the draft's first night. Or it could mean waiting until rounds 2, 3 or 4 to find a player who fits. Heading into the draft, Emery called the Bears' competition for the two starting safety spots "wide open" before acknowledging the steep falloff in talent in this class after that elite safety duo is gone.

A second tier includes Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward, Florida State's Lamarcus Joyner and Washington State's Deone Bucannon. After that, things get cloudy.

Thus Emery said he has advised his scouts and coaching staff to look long and hard at this year's deep cornerback class for prospects who could be converted to safety.

For the Bears, that means eyeing corners with great length and athleticism not to mention intelligence and instincts, all prerequisites for Emery before he would consider drafting a corner and then ordering a position change.

It's risky business.
    "The problem," Emery said, "is you have to project. To take a college corner and make a safety out of him, that's a big jump."
  9. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Also, read any archived scouting report for Brandon Hardin on the web and most will say he projects as a safety in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I've zero problem with drafting another CB to S conversion, but it has to be the right guy with the right skills and track record of healthy physicality.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Any ideas as to who ?
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    Couple LB's who may fit the role as well. Shazier and Telvin Smith are both small for LB's, but very athletic and fast. CB is more natural to switch and many CB's played S in college prior to getting the CB position. ( have not looked into it but it makes sense they would have to wait for somebody to graduate before they got the CB position) Not that far stretched to do it in the NFL as it is done in college. Eventually you would fill your needs.

I am more intrigued with somebody like Telvin Smith as a Strong Safety. Kind of a Hybrid Safety Linebacker position, Could definitely be the 8th man in the box from the S position.
    • Like Like x 1