Is Forte NFL's most underrated back?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Jun 9, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    242ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Former Denver Broncos star Terrell Davis thinks that the Bears' Matt Forte may be the most underrated running back in the NFL.

Continue reading...
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    To be under-rated is to suggest that he doesn't get credit for as good as he is.
    Well, perhaps from other cities and outside the Chicago Bears sphere of influence, maybe he is; but from what I see on this board and the friends that I have that are also Bear fans, most people hold Matt Forte in extremely high regard. He was held in high regard when fans were clamoring for him to get a new contract with signs and chants of "Pay The Man" all through Soldier Field. He was held in high regard by the Bears when they paid him handsomely, and he has been held in high regard by his peers and fans being selected to the Pro-Bowl. I'm not really sure how much more credit he must be given to not be considered "under-rated"; the guy is one of the major keys to our offense and anyone that knows the Bears knows that.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I've always thought that as far as recognition around the league goes that he's been very under rated. Being ranked as the 91st best player and 9th RB in that recent top 100 poll would tend to confirm that.

The only thing that has ever held the guy back has been a few nagging injuries that have cost him games and some degree of productivity because he often played at less than 100% but that's seldom taken into consideration by anyone including some Bears fans while he was negotiating his last deal.

I love having Matt Forte as our RB and I hope he continues to stay healthy enough to earn another contract from the Bears after this one. He's the best RB we've had since the days of Walter Payton.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    By the fans and his teammates no he's perfectly rated, maybe a tinge on the high side, but not by much.

by the NFL talking heads, he's crazy under rated. The guy is doing things few other rb's are able to do and he's(up until last year) done it w/next to no other talent at WR/TE and almost no talent at OL.

Teams gameplanned to stop him, even after they got Cutler(b/c of the lack of reciever threats) and he was still putting up monster yardage.

Last year he was a top 5 rb in every meaningfull statistic and is one of like 5 rb's to have 1200 combined yards for 5 straight years(not sure how far that goes back, might just be the current crop of rb's). Again still makes him a top 5 back.

Is he elite, imo he is, but if not he's clearly in the group right below that.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I agree completely. I guess it's hard for me to judge how the rest of the league views him since I am here in Illinois. However, your point about the "Top 100" is a reasonable barometer as to how he is viewed from the "outside". Frankly, I can't think of any backs I would rather have. There are a handful that I would probably like just as much, but I can't think of any that would be a hands down, no brainer choice over Matt; especially given his great match-up with our offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    AP(in his hey day, not sure now)
    Shady McCoy
    Charles

I would take them w/out question. Everyone else you have to worry about health and system fit.

Lynch, MJD, Foster, Morris I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't want to give away Forte for them.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    +1
    There is no better RB in the NFL right now, for the type offense we run under Trestman. None. The guy can do everything at a high level. He may not be the best at one of these, but cumulatively with all of his skills, he makes us a MUCH better team. Even as a runner he is pretty amazing when you consider that he's rarely had much blocking help from the OL here in Chicago. Last year the OL improved with their pass protection, but they really didn't do much for Matt. Matt got most of his yardage on his own - in spite of another year of poor run blocking.

And Matt is a solid blocker for us. The guy is a really solid receiver. He's as smart a player as you're going to find in the NFL. He is the consummate professional. I hope he's able to contribute at a high level and help us win a super bowl. Good RB's are not tough to find. But you don't find great all-around RB's like Forte very easily.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Yeah AP in his prime without a doubt, and other than him Shady is the only other back I would pick over our Forte. McCoy is an absolute animal, I love watching him play when it's not against us. Charles is a beast but I'd waver slightly because he's a tad too slight for me and while when he's healthy he puts up insane numbers I'll still take Forte's durability, thus far, over his. I know it's only two seasons he had serious issues but I can't imagine Forte being lost for the year, unless Carey breaks the trend our back-up situation thus far couldn't have supported that. But if Forte walked and we signed Charles, or something like that, I wouldn't lose too much sleep. So #3-4 ain't bad at all. I wonder where he's pegged nation wide.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    according to PFF he didnt make the top 100 list, gotta think there's at least 5-6 RB's on that list, and NFL top 100 had him 9th. Both are absolute jokes when you look at last year he was a top 3 rb, and most of his career top 5-8. He's no where NEAR 8th now.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Ya know before it was like he was the workhorse for the offense and the only part that made it go so his stats suffered a bit because of how hard defenses focuses on him. He still put up good numbers but back then I could see why the "average" fan would rate him low, I mean they love their gaudy stats.. but he was top 5 or better in damn near any category worth considering so I don't see how you can't rate him higher than that. I thought he'd be #50 or better on the Top 100 at least.. more in the top 30 range. I know it's not a great indicator but I still thought he'd be higher. I feel like this year he'l be even better, it's not like the OL was out of this world run blocking and he has to benefit from multiple seasons in the same system. What was that stat? 4 outta his last 5 games he had 100+ yards rushing? I think, as crazy as it is, we haven't seen his best. I could see a 1300-1400 yard season with another 500+ receiving. Maybe even flirting with the 2k from scrimmage mark.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    I think JABF is really close here. As far a straight RB's go A. Peterson from the Vikings and L McCoy from Philly are the best pure RB for running in the last few years. I am hard pressed to come up with a better receiving RB than Forte.

When you combine the running, receiving and blocking Forte is one of the best. He is not the fastest nor is he a bull rusher with power, but he has power to run between the tackles, speed to hit the hole, and hands to catch the ball. In Chicago's scheme he is the perfect fit and thus we think more highly than the average fan. The average fan who sees the RB once a year does not see the catches and blocking necessarily as the RB role. Many of these sports writers were fans of the game who got a gig writing and then get to vote on these polls that are interesting but by no means accurate. Thus if you watch A Peterson run you would probably appreciate his running over Fortes, but if you watch them week in and week out and the total yards incl. the catches and total yards you would realize that although Forte will not set a single season rushing yards record, he may get the most yards from scrimmage.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Forte is not only the most underrated running back he's the most underrated NFL player at any position.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    He might just be, at but I think other players and teams respect him more then analysts do. Again teams, even last year, were still trying to stop him first, and then were forced to back off b/c of the other weapons around him burning the D instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    All I can see is a guy who for 6 years has played behind some pretty lousy lines in many offenses without an NFL caliber passing game and, much like Cutler, under several different OCs. He's played through a number of injuries that have slowed him down at times and yet he chugs out 1500 plus yards on average every year, always stays in shape, and keeps his head in the game. To me that's a true champion.

As most of you have said he's a perfect fit for our offense because he can do it all. There are a few others who may be better pure runners but no one puts it all together much better than Forte does.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1