Is it or me or is the Offensive Line still a major worry?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JPosh2012, Aug 6, 2013.

1. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Folks,

We are hearing about how the Left Side of the Defensive Line has been doing decent as of late BUT the real problem is the Right Side of the line. Is it me or is it time to start worrying about the Offensive Line? It seems like Webb is still stinking up the place as usual and while Long is doing good in 1 on 1 drills he is doing really bad in the 11 on 11 drills plus with Garza as old as Jurrassic Park and the way he played last year we can't count on him to help them out. Am I over reacting or am I right to be worrying about the O-Line.
  2. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    No, you're not over-reacting. I am still majorly worried about the O-line.

I heard the same thing you have about Long with 11 on 11s. Hopefully it's rookie lack of knowledge and his rawness but that he can be quickly coached up.

Webb is back to his typical suckfest, though with his tweet about going dark maybe the coaches finally got through to him, although I fear it's too little too late.

What really has me worried though is that I'm hearing Slauson isn't doing so well either.

Haven't heard a word on Garza, so I'm hoping that's good.

preseason game Friday night... we'll know better then what this line is really like.
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    I will worry when its the last game of the preseason and the starting 5 play 4 quarters. ITS SO EARLY....that there really is nothing to worry about in terms of the play of these guys. Guys are still getting all the rust off and it goes without saying that some guys don't go very hard during the preseason. At least not the guys that know they have a starting spot locked up.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 0 / -1
    If it mirrors the pre-season of 2010 then I'll be very worried. But I think it will start out slightly better than last season and improve thereon.
  5. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Worry may be too strong a word JPosh, but I would say that you are right to be aware and concerned. I remember during the off season arguments that some of us weren't sold on the the whole "O-line is fixed" thing. There is a huge difference between allocating resources to a problem (The O-Line for example) and that problem actually being fixed. When the process of fixing the O-Line started, I figured that it would take more than one year. Think two years, maybe three, allowing that something doesn't work out the first try. I figure the Bears are right on schedule at the moment.

Mr. D is right about this much though, there is no way to be certain either way until the season starts. It is too early to panic. Not yet....
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +822 / 1 / -0
    No, you're not wrong to be concerned. It's been an area of huge weakness for years and its not gonna be turned into a strength quickly. I expect some very rough performances in the preseason and even early in the RS. If we can get to DECENT by October, I'll be ok with that.

Webb is his usual self it seems. Like he doesn't seem to get serious until Halloween. This year his job is actually on the line and its his contract year so if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass in PS, he prob loses the starting position to Britton. This isn't Camp Lovie anymore where his "competition" was basically a wink and a nod.

I do expect Long to struggle at first due to lack of experience. Kromer needs to get him up to speed technique wise as fast as possible. But, remember, Brown isn't that much further along the learning curve so Long STARTS IMO as he should being a 1st round pick. It wouldn't shock me at all to see Garza supplanted at Center sometime this year by Slauson, with Brown taking over LG. This is Garza's last year either way.

Other than Bushrod, who knows Kromer's scheme already anyway from NO, I hope they work these guys a lot in the PS games. I'm not panicked, but the OL is still an "issue".
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +736 / 2 / -0
    JP. without having seen them play and Bushrod not able to take all reps, I'd say it is still a big unknown. I am not sure it is a MAJOR concern, but it is not fixed yet. How big a problem it is will surface after a few games against good teams.
  8. JJ-30

JJ-30

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I think we are all a little gun shy when it comes to the O line.
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,334 / 8 / -0
    Of course its worrisome, until they actually get out there and prove otherwise. Its going to take a few years to get it to be respectable, but so long as it is better than last year, then that is a good thing. Just keep making it better each year.
  10. VaBearFan

VaBearFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Jimmors. Hopefully the Bears are making the O line better. I'm interested to see how they fair in Friday's preseason game. I honestly hope they are better then last year with the new editions to the line.
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,334 / 8 / -0
    Emery definitely has us heading in the right direction, drafting Long, picking up Bushrod and Slauson. The OL isnt going to be great this year, but i think absent of any high draft picks to pick up a stud Tackle, Emery will continue to make moves to get it to where we need to be.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    Cannot fix an OL in one year, but they have their LT for the foreseeable future, and both G's need a C and a RT though. But you need to mix this OL youth movement w/experience and Bushrod has plenty and Brown will have 3 years next year and Long will be in his 2nd. If the theory is correct and Slauson moves to C that's a ton more expereince and you can afford to got for a rookie RT. and be set for another year or 2 before at LT and C are needed.
  13. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Do you think that Mills could be the RT of the future or is he more of the backup Swing T?

I would agree totally with this 100%. Yes they are going to be rusty but it is still worry some. I know you don't need an all-pro bowl line but you need a serviceable line.
  14. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    First of all sorry I had to break it up into two posts. I am still learning how to quote multiple replies on the new site lol!

I agree totally. I am not looking for an all pro-bowl line what I am looking for is a serviceable line though that can get the job done and allow Cutler to throw the damn ball quickly and efficently.

Regarding Webb all he needs is a kick in the a$$ IMO.

I too expect Long to struggle at the begining but he better be good towards the end. But he needs to play like a 1st round pick and not a 7th round pick. Regarding Garza and Slauson, I remain convinced that Slauson is the oh sh** plan if Garza stinks things up again.

Bushrod I am not worried about since he knows Kromer's scheme already. If anything he could help the guys out. I think next year we will need to draft two more guys (1 for Center and 1 for development purposes.)
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    JP man i really don't know anything about Mills to be honest, if he can be a future starter great, but lets not press him like we are Long. Sounds like Britton is the goto guy right now for swing.
  16. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    I'm very worried about the o-line, mainly because it is not fixed. Most of us have agreed that it will take a couple of years to get the o-line to perform well, mainly because it was so bad leading up to this season.I don't think that the O-line will be playing up to potential for at least half the season, and that is assuming there are no major injuries. I just hope that we can get enough win to overcome the o-line short comings and new systems.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +269 / 0 / -0
    I'm concerned not yet worried. I'm hearing on 670 that Brown is looking like the starter for now. I'm fine with that as its game one. Long does need to start IMO by RS to justify where we drafted him. (And win the spot by playing well and improving) We could have gotten an accountable backup/dev guy in the mid rounds.

I still have reservations about Garza and fear yet the "oh shi*" plan will have to be called upon. He was flat out bad last year and even older now.

It's unnerving hearing the bad reports on Webb and slausen, guess we have to wait and see
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    The only reason I'm not worried about the O-line is because I believe we have got some fresh blood in there that can play. Even Webb, considered a weak link in the past, has gained valuable experience these last few years and should give us much better play at RT that we didn't have with an injured Carimi. I think they finally got some guys that can play. I'd be very worried if we were coming into this season with the same line we had in '11 - '12. And how could we not be more optimistic too with Kromer running this line?
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    Um, everyone took offense to me saying this a while back. I can't believe my prediction came true.
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I agree about not pressing him like it was Long and I think he was drafted to become the development guy for Kromer.

I agree totally. This won't be a one year and done project it will take three years IMO to get it up to snuff because we need another C and T IMO. IF Brown can preform well or at least serviceable all year then we have the LG situation fixed.

I for one would rather have then blow in pratice and play well in the Regular Season than vice versa.