Is it or me or is the Offensive Line still a major worry?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JPosh2012, Aug 6, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,993ß
    I haven't heard except for maybe once that Slauson was playing bad, mostly I heard the Left side has looked fine, but that the right side was a problem. I personally never understood why they didn't try to put Slauson on the right side and Brow/Long on the left. That way you have a good mix of experience and youth spread throughout the line instead of all on one side.
  2. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    When you take into account that the bears grade Webb much higher than fans do, he'll be fine on the right side.
    Coaches have been raving about the progress of Brown for almost a year now. If he's forcing himself into the rotation that's a beautiful thing.
    Long is RAWWWWWWWWWW and it's going to take him time to catch up. Best he does that in spot playing for now.
    Brittan could help a lot if he continues to look as good as he has.
    Can't expect a new bunch of guys to jell for awhile. Happy if it's by the end of this season.
    But it's all new and improved (on paper).
    Getting a solid left tackle is huge. Moving an adequate LT to RT is pretty dang big.

I'm excited to see what this new bunch can do as they get some games under their belt. (reg season games)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It is a concern, we all wish it wasn't. It will be concern for the whole year. The Left side seems okay, the right side scares the hell out of me. James Brown isn't giving up his job without a fight and that makes me happy, but as JoeBlow said we can't have 5 guys who haven't played together expect to become all pro. We haven't had continuity at the OL in 3 years, Tice said it, Trestman said it, Kromar has said it, Garza, it just is difficult if you always have someone new lining up next to you. I expect them to name the starters for the opener within 10 days and just try and get them to gel.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +763 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Posh, what can be said that hasn't already been said...no, it's not just you.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,993ß
    Just did a little search, b/c there isn't much bears news until later tonight. Gabe Carimi is.....

not going to be starting for TB, And.....

they are thinking he can play T and G, and.....

last training camp notes I could find had him not playing on the field at all....ya that's the guy some of you are crying over.
  6. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Well hopefully we find out tonight that our O line will do just fine this year.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,993ß
    Trestman said the starters won't be out there long, but i wonder of the OL gets extra work before they get pulled too.
  8. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would hope so.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Trestman is teaching Cutler to get rid of the ball faster. He should have enough time to throw the ball.
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yes it is important to throw the ball faster but you still need a decent O-Line.
  11. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +502 / 1 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    Well they basically sucked AGAIN tonight so ....meh . I'm fed up with the looking for the bright side garbage like ... so and so looked good on this play etc - even though the play resulted in a sack cuz some other lineman got run over . Sheeit . Until I see consistency on most plays and not the usual one or 2 guys getting free to harass or sack our QB .. I'm skeptical . This has been ridiculous for YEARS so until it gets resolved , we can kiss any thought of a SB goodbye . Same old story same old result . BARF .
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,606 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    654ß
    To answer the original posters title question:
    YES
  13. EmeryBored

EmeryBored Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I may just chalk this up as 'it's just the first preseason game', but I can't help still having that same empty pit in my stomach every time the offense takes the field.
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,311 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,831ß
    remember. It is the first time these guys will be facing real competition (or at least as close to it as they have faced so far) with a brand new offensive scheme. Not too mention, that the leaders of the offense were not on the field all that much. Take it all with a grain of salt at the moment. Wait until at least the third preseason game before worrying too much. Even that would be a bit early.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,676 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,354ß

Carimi would have been a good keeper for us. We are thin.

Gabe Carimi’s Technique Impresses Donald Penn
    July 26th, 2013
    [​IMG]Joe doesn’t blink an eye when he types that the Bucs will have the best offensive line in football if right tackle Gabe Carimi steps up and fulfills his potential.
    The 2011 Bears first-round pick was snatched by rockstar general manager Mark Dominik for a sixth-round pick last month. In Chicago, Carimi had injuries and his attitude wasn’t appreciated.
    Two practices into training camp, Carimi is drawing rave reviews from Donald Penn. Drenched in an endless flow of sweat, Penn told Joe after practice today that Carimi’s skill set stands out among the Bucs’ veteran offensive line.
    “He’s a great technically sound guy. He’s [got] great technique,” Penn said of Carimi. “He’s a good player. He’s going to help us out a lot. He’s very technically sound. You know, it’s hard to get that. It took me a year or two before I got my techniques down. I’m still working on my techniques.”
    Again, it’s definitely noteworthy when a guy like Penn, who’s been around numerous offensive line coaches and stud linemen in his day, is impressed like this.
    Now it’s time to see what happens when Carimi puts the pads on. As Penn said, “All this little pattycake stuff, we’re ready to get the real stuff tomorrow. There’ll be no more excuses.”

And ...

Carimi pushes for spot on Bucs line

JOE SMITHTampa Bay Times
    Friday, August 2, 2013 4:42pm

SKIP O'ROURKE | Times
    Gabe Carimi was an All-American, winning the Outland Trophy as college football's best interior lineman in 2010 before becoming a first-round pick of the Bears (29th overall) in 2011.
    TAMPA — Gabe Carimi has tattoos of two hammers on his back, fitting for the "Jewish Hammer" nickname the 6-foot-7, 316-pound Bucs right tackle earned while playing for Wisconsin.
    There, Carimi was an All-American, winning the Outland Trophy as college football's best interior lineman in 2010 before being a first-round pick of the Bears (29th overall) in 2011.
    "He was a very, very physical, dominating player," said Bucs offensive line coach Bob Bostad, who coached Carimi at Wisconsin. "They don't call you 'Hammer' because you're not physical. His senior year … we decimated Michigan, decimated Ohio State, decimated Iowa. We didn't just beat them, we beat them up. And he was a big part of that."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bucs coach Greg Schiano said Bostad's "insider information" on Carimi was the biggest reason they acquired the third-year pro from Chicago in June for a sixth-round pick. Schiano acknowledged that "if you just read the media stuff," you'd wonder why, because Carimi was limited his first two seasons by a right knee dislocation suffered in his second NFL game. But Carimi, 25, said there are no longer any physical issues and he's excited for the fresh start in Tampa Bay, where he's competing with incumbent Demar Dotson at right tackle.
    "I think I've just gotten back to where I was, where I can have success again," Carimi said. "It was a bad knee injury. But I'm feeling a lot better now."
    Carimi has a tough task. Dotson signed a $7.5 million, four-year deal in March, started 15 games last year, and has looked great in training camp. Dotson is still amazed how he has overcome the odds, going from a Southern Miss basketball player with just one year of college football experience to an NFL starter in four years. His goal is to be the best right tackle in the league, and Schiano says if Dotson continues his steady improvement, he could be a "special player."
    But Dotson, signed as an undrafted free agent, said Carimi will push him: "With Gabe behind you, it does make you work a little bit harder because here's a guy who was a first-round draft pick. Enough said."
    Dotson, 27, has 17 starts, just one more than Carimi, but has played in twice as many NFL games. Carimi missed almost all his rookie season as his right knee required surgery and a long recovery. "It was definitely difficult," he said. "Having an injury three times just wears on your body. But I'm feeling good now."
    Carimi still has to get acclimated to the Bucs scheme and get into a rhythm with his technique. That's why, though Schiano believes Carimi is versatile enough to play both right tackle and inside, they haven't started cross-training him at guard yet.
    But left tackle Donald Penn, a former Pro Bowl player, has been impressed with how technically sound Carimi is, considering it took him a couple of years to get his down.
    "I think we're getting a big, tough, smart football player," Bostad said. "I know he'll come in and compete. I know he'll come in and work every day. He'll pick up our scheme relatively fast, and I think he'll be versatile, giving us something we didn't have last year as far as that goes at that position. I think he's going to push everybody here and be a viable candidate."
    Carimi said his experience with Bostad has aided his transition and added he will play wherever the Bucs want him.
    "Wherever the cards play at the end, I think we've got some great linemen here," Carimi said. "I'm just excited to be on a team that's good."
    Carimi said he feels Judaism has helped improve his life, while also sparking a new nickname in Chicago: "The Bear Jew," a reference to the hulking, bat-swinging character in the movie Inglourious Basterds. But now that Carimi is with the Bucs, the Bear reference won't apply.
    Quipped Carimi: "We'll go back to the Jew Hammer."
    Joe Smith can be reached at joesmith@tampabay.com.

I have tried to keep up with this and there is nothing I have read that supports a decision of trading him prior to seeing how he could play or of trading him for a 6th round pick. Especialy when you factor in our OL play and depth. Honestly, the OL did not play well and played even worse when we got to our backups. I do not understand why you think this was an ok decision. I think Emery needs to be complimented when he does well and needs to be called out when he does not -- just like everyone else. I didn't like how he handled the Urlacher situation, (and still don't), but in the end think it was thr right decision. I still can't get myself to feel like that on this decision. I just think it was a bad decision.

Dotson is winning the RT position over Carimi. Dotson is very good ad Carimi has not had his number of starts. I think before it's all over, Carimi can be a better player than Dotson. But we didn't have Dotson, so it doesn'tmatter. We did have Carimi and we let him go when we really could have used him. My position is not to worry about what is past us, but to wonder what Emery might do next. This was not as well thought out as I would have given him credit for.

[​IMG]
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,993ß
    http://thepewterplank.com/2013/08/0...ay-buccaneers-training-camp-tuesday-august-6/

I thought Gabe Carimi was missing in action, and I did not see him working with the first team. Demar Dotson took all the snaps I saw with the first team offense. On other OL news, and this is big news, Carl Nicks moved well and looked like his old self out there. Bucs fans can be really heartened about this.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/08/0...d-dekoda-watson-among-starters-early-in-camp/
    RTDemar DotsonGabe Carimi

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/08/01/nfc-south-position-rankings-right-tackle/

#1 – Demar Dotson – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – 4 points

Honestly I expected Dotson to file in maybe second or third in this group, but based on the grades, he’s actually the best…by far. Now, right tackle isn’t exactly the most crucial spot in the 11 man offense, but bad lineman always show up. Dotson is certainly not bad, but he’s not elite, like he claims he’s going to become. Crazy thing is, he’s not even that far ahead ofGabe Carimi.

The guy he is going against is not losing his job to Carimi, at least not this year...hell the latest practice and Gabe wasn't even on the field w/the 1's
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,676 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,354ß
    yeah, Carimi is not lighting it up, but we don't have anyone lighting it up here either. I think he could have helped the team if he were still here. Hard to be sure unless he was in camp and practicing against our guys.

Nicks does seem like he is back and that is good news for any team that has him.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,993ß
    Well much like Roach and BU and Izzy I don't think Carimi is the savior this team needed to get it over the top, so although I think they should have kept him(and I do think they should have) I don't think it's would've mattered much. And he's hardly lighting it up in TB, and the guy he's competing against had a whopping 1 year of college football experience and is a converted basketball player. Not exactly what a 1st round grade A prospect should have problems leaping if he was really as good as advertised.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,676 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,354ß
    No, Carimi definitely would not have been the team savior. But if Webb continues to allow sacks, we really don't have a real replacement -- other than next years sixth round pick. I will say though that although Dotson has only had a year of experience, he is pretty good. And I do think Carimi will get better. Neither here nor there though. Our issue is our own RT and lack of depth. With Carimi gone, we don't have too much right now to look at if Webb continues to allow pressure.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,993ß
    Team, for whatever reason is high on Scott(when he gets back) and Britton. If they see something, I'll give it time to see it myself.

I'm more worried about how bad Melton got dinged at this time, and Shea, seems he had a pretty bad game from what i'm reading.