Is it or me or is the Offensive Line still a major worry?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JPosh2012, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    oh, you know what, I'd forgotten about Britton. He could be good. Scott, IDK... I've never been high on him.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,259 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Ya wasn't impressed much w/Scott either but for some reason Emery/Tresticles is high on him
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,312 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    354ß
    If Webb can't step up, nail down the RT job, and be a consistent quality starter NOW after...

All the media scrutiny and fan criticism
    A new coaching regime putting him on notice
    Three years of first line experience
    And in a contract year no less

...then he's on the first FA bus outta town this winter. I'm fed up with all the excuses for this clown who in three years has faced only the thinnest of "competition" from journeyman failed vets and two 1st-round busts (Carimi & CWill). I don't know what it takes to light a fire under this dolt's ass. His career and future are very much on the line the next few weeks.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    oh.. I see what you did there :)
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,312 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    354ß
    Lol, a poet and I didn't know it. :cool:
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,534 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß
    I'm gonna reiterate what I've been saying: It's gonna take the offensive line time to get their stuff together, and they aren't going to be great all season. That there may have been any struggles last night (I had to leave literally right after Cutty's INT), are irrelevant to either side of the argument, as preseason is where the mistakes are ironed out, and "water finds its own level" in regards to who deserves playing time, so to speak. Our offense is gonna cost us early, but as long as the defense can stay as good as the proverbial tea leaves have been saying, the majority of the problems with the o-line and offense will be forgivable, because the talent is there to overcome things like turnovers and sacks, as opposed to the last few years, when Forte was THE talent.
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Britton's biggest problem is/was injuries. IF he can stay healthy he will be a decent T IMO.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,259 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Henry, when stated like that I don't disagree w/you. I never thought the O was going to come out both guns blazin, and the OL would again be the primary issue. But for the first time I thought here's a OC that will actually look at what the issues are and try and work around it. Don't think anyone thought the OL would be fixed from game one on, just not going to take 8+ games to gel.
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    To me, it's not just that Webb stinks, it's how he plays and his attitude. One play Friday is all I needed to see... He lets his guy get past him. Then what does he do? does he grab the guy and try to stop him? No. Does he try to tackle him? No. does he do anything possible including taking a flag to stop the guy from getting to his QB? No. He just stands there, and watches his guy destroy our QB. This is what I find unacceptable. This is why I don't want Webb on this team.

Now I agree it's early and the line needs work and time to "gel". But like any food recipe, you need the right ingredients to make things gel. All the pectin and xanthan gum in the world won't make a gel if you mix horse crap in with it.
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,534 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß

Maybe it was the way i've said it previously, or maybe not, but it seemed like the offense was "gonna be light years ahead by season's opening", according to a few. We're gonna have some bad hiccups early on, and we may only barely hit the top 15(I mean early in the season, not necessarily by it's end), but I don't see that as a doom and gloom type thing. I believe that, even with all the screw ups the guys are gonna have along the way, they will make up for it by having a coach that thinks on the fly, and having better talent all over the whole team. Again, don't want to sound negative, in the slightest. I think that any progress will be good, barring injury.

I know I've been saying to take everything that happens in TC and preseason with a grain of salt(unless, like Russell Wilson, you can tell they're gonna be great immediately, or Chad Hutchinson, who had a 0.0 qb rating in 2005 preseason), because in my mind "this is where they're ironing out the wrinkles", but after seeing Webb indirectly apologize for f****** off all the time on facebook, and apparently looking like **** in practice, I'm really bummed out. This dude looks to be pissing away a golden opportunity, because his work ethic just won't improve and, in a public setting, lets everyone know he's too distracted by other things. Now, I know I've tried to paint that as him just "being goofy", but if Martellus Bennett has time to improve himself and say stupid things on the internet, I imagine Webb does, too. I'm really hoping that he's gonna finally show his worth to the team, but that's not looking very realistic....
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We we're discussing this very topic at work yesterday and Webb is just lazy or stupid or both. If you cut him the problem is that I could see Green Bay who needs LT help picking him up.
  12. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    He has the tools, but he won't use them. Job #1 is to protect the QB. A guy gets past you, you keep after him. Don't just stand and watch. He's so frustrating.

I don't mind him as a swing tackle/backup, but I don't want him starting. I just wish we had somebody better to replace him. As far as GB, that would work, even Shea has no problem getting past him. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,534 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß
  14. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd hate to ask but would webb benefit playing center maybe? I remember him not being bad at guard. Id love our line to be...

Bushrod/Long/Slauson/Britton/Mills
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,312 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    354ß
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,534 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß
    Bad for Webb, bad for the team. I wish it were Mills being too good to be a backup, but it's sounding like they have no other choice. I will be so pissed if the RT spot is a tire fire and Carimi is competent in Tampa.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Does he have to play any of them well?
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,259 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    All reports are the Webb probably makes the team
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,534 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    534ß
    Well, we HAVE to have a swing tackle..(not being sarcastic towards you, ric)
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,259 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    i know but that might well be scott or britton, but neither are very good at LT, which is why I think Webb might well be safe