Is Jay Cutler The Right QB For The Bears?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Is Jay Cutler the Right QB for the Bears?

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    OK let me start off by saying that this isn't your traditional 670 The Score meathead "Fire Jay Cutler" type of thread.

I have been one of THE BIGGEST Jay Cutler supporters out there. I've stood by him and defended him even during the toughest of times. He is somewhere between good and great depending on his consistency during a given game. He is one of THE TOUGHEST players that I've ever seen. (Playing through diabetes and various injuries over the years..he's one tough "sum bitch") He is one of the greatest Bears QBs of all time.

But, the last couple of weeks seriously has me questioning my thinking on whether or not Cutler is the right QB for this team. After watching the last couple of weeks unfold I now know there is a difference between the most physically gifted QB on a team and the right QB for a team.

Watching Josh McCown play as well as he has and watching the Cutler injuries pile up over the last couple of weeks (and over the last few years to tell you the truth) has me wondering if Cutler has become too brittle and injury-prone because of suspect play calling and a horrible offensive lines during the Lovie Smith era. These things have led me to believe that Cutler *may not* be the right QB for this team.

At this point, to me Cutler is not worth a mega-deal. Do I sign him to a one or two year contract and also re-sign McCown? Probably.

If I'm the Bears, QB is a must in deep 2014 draft class.
  2. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I said no, but he was on par to being a top 10 qb till he got hurt
  3. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Yesterday's game was winnable. I am with you on the fact that I did believe in Cutler but his erratic choices when rushed have made him as much of hazard as he is a scoring threat.. He has had too many knockdowns and the next 1 may be his last
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I think Jay is truly the best QB we've had in a long time. He has physical gifts that very few QB's have, even the elite ones. But with that being said, I do not believe he's the best QB for what we're trying to do here in Chicago under Marc Trestman.

If Jay is who we end up with, long term, then I'm okay with that. But he's not the best fit for us. Also, for whatever reason, we do not win very often in "must win" games, with him at QB. Maybe it's just "bad luck" or something. All I know is that when he starts, in a big game, it often means a loss. It took Josh McCown to finally win in Green Bay. In my "heart of hearts" I know we don't win that game with Cutler - even without Rodgers playing. For some reason Jay just folds like a lawn chair in big games. You can have the strongest arm in the NFL, but that alone doesn't win big games. He does play well against the less talented teams. I'll give him that.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    One other thought. How much money to you sink into a QB who can't win the big games? He's on the far side of 30 age-wise now. He's a gutzy QB, but let's face it, he's injured a lot. He plays with injuries, and I applaud him for his heart to play through them. But that's not always a "good thing" like we saw yesterday. You add all of that up, and figure, just how much DO you spend on a guy like this?

Winning big games is more than just having a strong arm. Countless Super Bowls have been won with QB's with weaker arms than Jay Cutler - but they had the football IQ to compensate. The truly great ones have that. Heck, even the lower-tier QB's who've won the Super Bowl seem to often have that too.

Even in his "evaluation" year, he's not going to have a 16 game season. I'm glad we do have a solid backup for him though.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I guess going for it on 4th and 1 and not taking the FG didn't have anything to do with us lossing yesterday.

Why not spend millions on a QB were spending millions on a RB that can't make a one yard run. Who knew Forte would try to run it up the middle, I know of 14 for sure the the Loin DC, the 11 guys playing of Defense, and me, oh and of course Forte who can't see when the middle is stacked up against the run.

Oh and to answer the question, YES Cutler is the right QB for the Bears. MT just needs to make better decisions on his play calling.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,639 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Um, Garza failed that a block and a 300lb man ran over Forte. But that is Forte's fault? If you meant the 4th and a long one, well that was Bush, and I think you saw just how bad the OL was against an elite DL when it comes to opening holes in the run game.

As for Cutler, Cutler is the best qb the team has had since luckman, unfortunately for him TO's in todays game are more important then ever and you cannot afford to have them. Cutler needs to be smarter w/the ball, if he cannot be then no he cannot be the future qb if the goal is to win a SB. If he can get to 2 to 1 TD to TO ratio then ya he's SB capable and should be here.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    I just don't know any more. I would've said yes at the beginning of the year, but now it is difficult to say. Jay is injured (yet again), he is struggling at times, and McCown has shown that Trestman's offense is very QB friendly. This was supposed to be Jay's contract year, and it looks like he is failing it.

We have so many question marks on defense and so many free agents to be, that i have no clue what Emery plans for this off season. I definitely don't envy him this year.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Great post..

The only thing that I hate with the Cutler thing is Marshall... If Cutler leaves will Marshall ask for a trade? Will he slow down his game? I would really like to see Cutler in a Bears jersery but because he plays well enough for us to make the post season next season.
    As you pointed out Jimmors the system seems to be pretty QB friendly, McCown have looked great and if we let Cutler go do we start with a rookie QB or do we play McCown?
  10. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    well like i said...i have zero clue what Emery plans to do. We have tons of players scheduled to hit FA in the offseason, i dont know which ones he keeps, which he lets go. I have no idea if he is going to focus on Defense this time in the draft, we desperately need DL and Safeties.

McCown's biggest problem is his age...he's 34 (looks 21). so, there are a few scenarios:

1.FTag Cutler, re-sign McCown as backup, stick with them for 2014, draft a new QB after next season. This allows emery to focus on the D in the draft.
    2.Let Cutler walk, re-sign McCown, draft a QB. This is what i would like to see, we will save money on Cutler (by letting him go), letting McCown run the offense for a year, while our Drafted QB holds the clipboard for a year.
    3.Sign Cutler to a multi-year deal, draft a QB as backup/future replacement. Almost the same as scenario #2, but way more expensive.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    At the right price, sure...if he asks for too much, I am ok with him walking as well...

However, with regard to resigning both Cutler and McCown...I am not sure about that...nothing against McCown, but I would much rather see a younger, higher ceiling guy in the #2 spot next year, regardless of who we have starting opening day next year...I truly believe Trestman is going to develop us a real QB, and that he isn't on the team yet...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I could not agree more. When this season started I could not imagine anyone other than Cutler as the QB. I have been 100 percent Pro-Cutler during his tenure with the Bears.

But, after taking a step back and logically looking at what has unfolded this season and also looking at what has happened in the past (with his injuries and poor in-game decisions etc. which weren't all entirely Cutler's fault during his time in Chicago) I'm not sure if Jay is a good fit for the Bears anymore and that says Alot coming from me because I've been such a Cutler supporter.

With that said, if the Bears were to go with him long term, I would be perfectly OK with that.

I started this thread because with the recent turn of events, even the staunchest Cutler supporters like myself are starting to question whether he's the right QB for this team.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  13. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Well, i can see us FT Cutler and re-signing McCown, only as a stop gap for next year, to give Emery the ability to focus on fixing the D. With the QB and the Offense set in place, all he needs to worry about is addressing issues with the Defense this offseason, allowing him to put the QB issue off for another year. Who knows? Jay might bounce back and play amazing next season with another year in Trestman's offense. Or, he may stumble yet again, and since its only a FT, we can let him go after 2014, and go with McCown+rookie QB after that.

Or, Emery could just scrap it and start from scratch, let Jay go, draft our future QB, and re-sign McCown to run the offense for a year, plugging in the QB if McCown starts to struggle.

I dunno...in any case, its going to be a VERY interesting off-season this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    It's a beautiful problem to have. Most of us were Cutler supporters because the Bears have tragically lacked in the QB department for decades, so i think we all were willing to look past cutler's flaws, since he represented the first GOOD QB that we have seen, (for some of us)...ever.

But, Trestman has changed that with his system. Emery has earned his paycheck by assembling a solid offense of talent, and Trestman's system is QB friendly. So yeah..Cutler is a GOOD Qb, but with the weapons and HC we have, we can always find a BETTER one (or let Trest groom one as a rookie)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    This is going to be an extremely tough decision for Emery.

I think the Bears should franchise tag Cutler, sign him to a one year deal and re-sign McCown to back him up in 2014 just in case he has another bad and/or injury plagued year.

With that said, if a good young QB falls to wherever the Bears are drafting in the ultra-deep 2014 draft, I do not hesitate to pull the trigger and draft one.
  16. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Not only that, Emery has a bunch of FA to decide on. We all knew this was going to be an issue this offseason, that is what happens when you sign a bunch of FAs to one year deals and refuse to sign any of your vets to contract extensions. It pretty much pissed off the vets who were used to JA's "reward your own" policy where they always got their extensions before contracts were up.

I was saying at the beginning of the year, the only two players that were locks for contract extensions were Cutler and Robbie. But with the way Jay has played combined with his injuries, that list is down to one: only player we can guarantee getting a nice fat contract extension at this point is Robbie.

But, this could also be the turning point for the franchise. Emery has the chance to really make this team into something great, by making smart choices and solid draft picks. If the Bears happen to go on to win the SB in the near future, i think we can all look back and credit Phil Emery's savy offseason decisions of 2013.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    I'm a Cutler supporter, but don't think he's the right fit for this system. Plus, I'm concerned about all the injuries he's racking up. Taking those two things into consideration, along with knowing how close Marshall is to Cutler, I'd do the following:

1 - FT Cutler
    2 - Resign McCown
    3 - Draft our next QB in 2014 (rest of the picks go to the D) and let him sit & learn for a year.

Come 2015, hope that the 2014 draft pick is ready to start and maybe have McCown back one last year?

My opinion is worth what you paid for it. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  18. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I agree.

Franchise Cutler and sign him to a 1-year deal, resign McCown as a solid backup on a team that is still ready to win now, and spend one of the 2014 picks on a QB if one is available.

Nothing wrong with spending a 2014 draft pick on a 3rd QB that'll hold a clipboard for a year or may even be your starter or 2nd stringer if Cutler gets injured again.
  19. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    I disagree.

Let him go. Dude cannot seem to stay heathy.

Re-sign McCown, draft a QB and fix the defense.

Letting Jay go might mean Marshall leaves, so extend him before officially letting Cutty go.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    Thanks for starting this thread. The way you worded it, is exactly right - Is he right for the Bears?

My thinking has followed a very similar path as yours on this. I've been a supporter of Jay, but realized he needed to improve parts of his game. And he did seem to be improving under Trestman. He has "The Arm" for sure. But looking at his entire "body of work" it's clear that he doesn't always have the best decision-making ability, to go with that arm. I keep coming back to the same point, that if we truly do have a great developer of quarterbacks in Marc Trestman, then why on earth would we be afraid of "life without Cutler?" Jay has established a track record of not being able to win the big games here in Chicago. He can look great against the lessor teams though. Is that "good enough" for us? As time goes on, and Jay looks older and more fragile, and falls short in must-win games like yesterday....well, I think we need something better here. And Trestman seems to be the guy who can deliver a better QB.
    • Like Like x 3