Is Jay Cutler The Right QB For The Bears?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Is Jay Cutler the Right QB for the Bears?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

I am now on the fence at the beginning of the season I would have said yes easily now it's woo nelly. This lose could be a blessing in disguise if Jay does come back this season from ALL his injury's this year. Maybe Trestman will not be as hesitant to pull Jay when things go bad even in a playoff game if they miraculously limp in figuratively and literally.

Now thinking on your question if the price is really George Halas right Jay could be the QB plus we keep Josh and we get a developmental QB at same time than I'm all for it. We need to build the D ASAP which would be a perfect time for developmental QB it's obvious Trestman is a QB's wet dream so lets give him 3QBs. Then we eventually move the developmental QB to starter Jay becomes 2nd and Josh is moved to QB coach. Because Josh will eventually be Trestman's replacement.

So I guess that's a yes only IF all my demands are met and I never ask for much.
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters

Thanks for the nice compliment. I definitely appreciate it.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. If Trestman can make guys like Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon, and Josh McCown look really good, then we should absolutely put our trust in him to develop a new QB and also expect more from Cutler in his offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

That would be such a dickmove imo.. I'm not sure Marshall would be too happy with this and because of that he might not play on the same level as he had played on in Chicago...
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

dickmove? Maybe. Probably. But Bears need Marshall.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

I have been a big Cutler supporter. He does make bad decisions under pressure and the decision to push for pkaying time before he was really healed was another bad decision. The guy is not stupid, but he does play someone who is on tv.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

I was fine with losing McCown a few weeks ago, but the guy can run this offense pretty well and has been able to stay healthy. I don't care is he is 62 years old. If he can win games for us and run this O, why let him go? At least keep him a BU. That has worked for us pretty well right now. Especially if we let Cutler walk. We need to have someone that we know can do the job on staff. And he is cheap.
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

We need to draft a QB THIS YEAR! The 2014 QB class is very deep and is our best shot for one.
  8. kevperro

kevperro

His fantastic upside (great arm, can make any throw) is exactly cancelled out by his downside (poor decision making). If he was making progress on improving his downside, I'd give him a thumbs up ....but he isn't. He is currently surrounded by some fantastic talent in his supporting cast. If he cannot excel with the guys on the offensive side of the ball now... he never will.
  9. tey216

tey216

Sorry...
    But if Jay Cutler cant give you a better season then he has shown in a contract year... Then what can you expect from here on out. This is the year he HAS to play his best football... This is the best he can do... And up until this point I say he has been slightly above average to average in a QB friendly offense with all those offensive weapons that Brady, Rogers or the likes would kill for...

I know QB's don't grow on trees and Jay is the best QB the Bears have had in probably forever... But does that mean settle for average. As someone pointed out earlier he isn't that great in big time games. Has a lousy record against the Packers... I guess for me its just too early to say yay or nay... I want jay to be the guy but I doubt he will settle for anything significantly less then what Romo received and I don't think he is worth that.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

That is part of the aggravation. He HAS improved. But he still makes those boneheaded interceptions, and then gets injured just when you think you are going to have a "must have" stretch of games to use to evaluate him by. He did get better, but how much better?
    Better enough to spend a FT or long term contract with? Add in that a journeyman QB has been able to step up and play extremely well in the same system, and you have quite a few question marks to try and sort out. And with Cutler injured, some of those may not get satisfactorily answered before a decision needs to be made.

Some tough choices to be made here. Hopefully some better decisions are made than the one where they decided to play Cutler after 3 weeks of a groin tear.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters

No doubt that Cutler and his agent BELIEVE that they deserve Romo money. (Hell Romo didn't even deserve Romo money) But, after an injury plagued contract year, I would be HIGHLY SHOCKED if Cutler received the same type of deal Romo got.

After multiple injuries and inconclusive stats in his walk year, Cutler is probably looking at the franchise tag and a 1-year deal to get it together.

I think the Bears owe it to themselves and to Cutler to give him what is essentially another contract year to see what he can do and possibly redeem himself.

With Cutler under a 1-year franchise deal, the Bears can still re-sign McCown and/or draft another QB (I hope they do all of the above.)
  12. Wolfman

Wolfman

I think you missed my point...

If we let Cutler walk, then by all means, let's keep McCown....and put a young, higher ceiling guy in the 2 spot...

However, if we keep Cutler, I would still question whether Jay is really the long-term solution for us at QB....that being that case, I would much rather see us start to groom that solution...McCown isn't it, I fear McCown would simply delay us finding that long term solution...once again, I want a young, higher ceiling guy in the 2 spot...

The point is keep both Culter and McCown next year is simply standing still/holding pat...I don't want that...we can't afford that imo...

In general, I believe Trestmen was brought in to develop us an offense and a legit QB...not simply make due at that position, which what we have done all my life and then some...
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

That is a good point. I need to think about that. In a sense I was ok with that, but wouldn't you want to upgrade? I guess the whole time I was assuming that Cutler would continue to progress and so keeping the same two plus adding a development player would be a good idea. But with the real possibility that Cutler might not grow as much as we would like, you have a really valid point.

I guess the answer is going to be whether or not Trestman sees enough improvement to want to continue to stay with him (allowing him to play hurt because he wanted to stay in kind of makes me think he is given to giving Cutler more slack than he should though...), how much money he is going to cost, and who is available to him as a replacement.

I think the strategy could go in several directions depending on those answers. It is still a moving target right now, IMO.