Is Peanut a Player Who Hasn't "Bought In"?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 1, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Is Charles Tillman buying into the Chicago Bears' new regime at Halas Hall?
    By Spongie on Jun 30 2014, 11:19a 35
    [​IMG]
    Rob Grabowski-USA TODAY Sports

Lance Briggs seems to have made his peace with the changes at Halas Hall, but has Charles Tillman?

Cast your mind back to late July 2013, early in training camp, when Jay Cutler acknowledged that ‘‘not everybody’’ had bought in to Trestman. CBSChicago reporter Adam Hoge made the observation that:

"...while no one on the defense will admit it, it’s pretty obvious that the players who have not bought in are living on that side of the football."
    The best cure for what may ail a locker room? Winning. Unfortunately it didn't happen as often as we would have liked, and that same side of the football was - for reasons that were not entirely their fault - largely responsible for the team's failure to make the playoffs. Still, an upgrade in talent was needed, and made.

Brian Urlacher piped up after the end of the season with the claim that the Bears - by which he meant Phil Emery - were trying to purge Lovie Smith's players. It's certainly true that the likes of Henry Melton, Corey Wootton, Major Wright, Julius Peppers, Israel Idonije, Devin Hester, Nick Roach, and Urlacher himself are no longer on the team. Then again, neither are J'Marcus Webb, Gabe Carimi, the original and still the best Chris Williams, or Kellen Davis. Phil did sign Tim Jennings to a four-year extension, and brought back Charles Tillman on a one-year deal after letting him test the market.

Something that was lost in the hubbub of coverage during the recent Chicago Bears veteran minicamp was a question that former Bears wide receiver turned sports radio host Tom Waddle brought up with ESPN Bears beat reporter Jeff Dickerson, an hour into this podcast of the Waddle & Silvy Show from June 18th:

Is Peanut Tillman buying into the new regime at Halas Hall?

Waddle was talking about Tillman's interview at his charity bowling event, which you can watch here.

"If I would have gone to another team it probably would have been Tampa, so... it was just, I dunno, it just didn't work out the way any of us planned or... so I'm back in Chicago - but that's not a bad thing either, it's still a good place. It's still a good place to be, here."
    If you watch it, you'll see what Waddle means when he says it's not exactly what you'd want to hear if you were in the Bears' front office. As Waddle put it, "It sounded like not only did he think it was going to happen in Tampa, but that's where he wanted to be," and mentioned the questions last year as to whether the Bears firing Lovie Smith may have left a bad taste in Tillman's mouth. Lip service or not, it's certainly not what you would expect if a veteran is meshing with a new coaching staff, unlike Lance Briggs' support of Mel Tucker staying on as defensive coordinator.

Does it matter? Once it's time to play, probably not. As Jeff Dickerson put it, "Tillman is a Sunday player" ...there's no question that he'll produce to the best of his ability, and the veteran cornerback is as thoughtful, well-spoken, and classy a guy as you'll find on or off the field of play. Nor is there any reason to think that's going to change.

However, as one of the two remaining core veterans from the previous regime on the defensive side of the team - Stephen Paea, Chris Conte, and Shea McClellin combined barely have the experience of one of them - it would be nice to think he could be Lance Briggs' lieutenant, rather than a veteran playing out a one-year contract because he didn't get an offer from another team that he wanted to jump ship to.

Professional sport is a business that leaves little room for sentimentality but - if this is to be his final year as a Bear, if not in the league - Tillman, the Bears, and the fans surely hope for a better end than that?
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    I'm not sure this was an article even worth writing if for no other reason this.

Does it matter? Once it's time to play, probably not. As Jeff Dickerson put it, "Tillman is a Sunday player" ...there's no question that he'll produce to the best of his ability, and the veteran cornerback is as thoughtful, well-spoken, and classy a guy as you'll find on or off the field of play. Nor is there any reason to think that's going to change.

I was under the impression most of the spring that Peanut would be playing for Lovie's at TB this year. It was far more of a surprise to me that he returned than it would have been his leaving to go to Florida.

But Peanut is also a consummate pro and he has said that regardless of how his career goes from this point forward that he will retire as a Chicago Bear. He should retire as a Bear and until then I expect he'll be giving 110% ever game like he always does. I'm not worried about Charles Tillman.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,875 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    861ß
    A lot of the defensive players were not happy with the departure of Lovie. In fact I'm not sure any were. I wouldn't blame Peanut if he were the most upset (after Urlacher). Tillman's career might have been as great as it is because of Lovie's teachings.

I hope that (if he hasn't already) that he is now fully commited and has bought in now.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    This speaks a bit to the possibility of the polarization between the defensive players and the offensive players that's long been a part of the Bears culture and team dynamic. It was here before Lovie and I doubt Lovie did much to eliminate it or even contain it. After all, the defense was him and his guy and the offense was always someone else's issue.

I can imagine that following a 10-6 season where they saw the offense as being who had let the team down again that the defensive stars weren't at all happy with Lovie's departure. That would be pretty natural but they still didn't see that it was Lovie's legendary laissez-faires attitude about the offense that got him canned.

It really come down to a matter of trust and my guess is those who the team (Trestman and Emery) didn't trust to support the new regime 100% are now gone and those who do support it are still with us. They obviously trust Peanut and so do I.

Trestman seems far wiser and isn't about to let that type of separatism exists on his team.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +572 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    Either buy in or hit the bricks....no matter who you are....that's my feeling.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I thought his comments were peculiar when the original article was published. It's too bad that he feels that way. We ponied up and paid him his price. There was no bidding war for him, so he should have some sense of duty for the team. So, I don't expect him to pull a 'Peppers' this year. But if he does or if he is a cancer in the locker room boot him. We don't need that type of help.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    I'm not gonna hold his loyalty to Lovie against him. It's an admirable trait that he should feel that way but he's also very loyal to the Bears organization too. A few comments like those aren't about to change my opinion of him and I have no doubts about his willingness to put it all on the line again this year. That's just him.
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Peanut is a total pro both on and off the field-PERIOD. The whole "buys into the system" is a bit nebulous, what is it's meaning in this example?

-He doesn't believe in Tucker or his system
    -He is put in bad situations or matchups where is skill is mitigated
    -The supporting cast isn't up to par
    -Any and all of the above

Look, if Tucker can't utilize a player who is the record holder for combined INT's/FF's and maximize his strengths then anyone with a brain wouldn't exactly "buy in". Doesn't mean lack of effort, one can BELIEVE in something but if it is wanting then no amount of "buy in" is going to fix it.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +931 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß

Well said. Look people are speculating on the way he's talking? Don't you think fans are being a bit microscopic?

He's getting older, he knows he can't play for another 5 years, so why sign him for 5 more years? Shit look at how many players sign for years you KNOW they can't play?

This article is total bullshit, and the writer even leads you to speculate that Tillman is some sort of quiter or gurdge holder. When the writer tells you that Tillman is a Sunday player and will bring his game, tells me he understands Tillman. So why write/report about this crap?

Here is what fans don't always see. Tillman plays special teams. Look at Hester's returns. You will see Tillman in MOST of them down the field blocking. No shit, go youtube some, and you'll see #33 running down the field with Hester.

Also, who has been our #1 CB for the last 10 years? Who's gone man on Randy Moss, Steve Smith, (you name it). We have asked Tillman to take the #1 WR every week. Does anyone know how much that is to ask?

Yeah, Tillman wasn't always covering a guy, but no CB can. Thats where the safety came in. Well, you know how we are with Safeties.

Remember the success Tillman had with Mike Brown?

Bottom line, Tillman is loyal to Lovie Smith, but don't call him Julius Peppers until he plays like Julius Peppers!

Lastly, how many players do we see in the league that don't look "commited" to their system, coach or team? Do they give 110%? Honestly this isn't uncommon, IF it's true with Tillman, which we will never know.

So stop reading the headlines, follow the player and see for yourself.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    First off, I expect Tillman to play to his ability. He is getting older, so he may not be pro-bowl material anymore. That is fine, he is still a great football player and I expect big contributer this year.
    It is not only the headlines but his own words. He expected to be in Tampa but "it just didn't work out the way any of us planned...so I am back in Chicago." The full quote is in the article above. That is not a resounding, it's great to be back and this is just the way I wanted it to unfold. The guy is a pro and knows that whatever he says will be printed. As a fan, it sounds like we are his second choice.
  11. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,875 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    861ß
    Are there actually some people questioning Tillman's heart and dedication??
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Did Tillman really say that??
  13. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +931 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß

But it's his quote, yes. However the headline puts their own spin on it.

so when you read the headline, then read his quote, you can see where the writer is coming from. However, like you said, I doubt that is the case.

Who cares where he thought he would play.. He signed with Chicago.. lol
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß

The author is slyly trying to slant it that way in order to create a story line where none exists. I posted it because this is exactly the kind of crap some media types write looking for an uncovered angle. They take a statement out of context and make a quote out of it that supports what they want their article to say not what was actually said and meant by it.

This isn't reporting it's story writing but that's what a lot of media types do these days especially those from the national press like USA Today who is normally not my "go to" for the latest in sports information. You wouldn't see a local media guy EVER have the guts to question Peanuts loyalty to the Bears or his play. To the credit of the intelligence of the members of these forums by the posts no one here is buying it either.

Jeff Dickerson, who is an ESPN Bears media guy summed that up pretty well in his statement too. Peanut is a guy who'll give you an honest interview and he's very conversational and unguarded when he does it. Whatever is on his mind is what you'll hear so he spoke his mind. Was he disappointed that Lovie was let go? Yes, but that would be natural. Was he bitter to the point of "not buying in" as the article tries to imply? Hell no, and anyone who knows Peanut would never believe that for a single minute.

Anyway, it's still all about what was not what is. When you're at the point in your career where Peanut is and without a contract I imagine all kinds of things go through your mind. They would mine. So who knows what if anything was on the table down in TB. It may have been something or maybe even nothing better than the Bears were willing to do. The only thing that matters is that he's back playing CB again and he has one more chance to show that the Bears made no mistake in re-signing him and that he'll play on a one year deal with the same pride and effort he always has. Hell, he may even have another year left in him after this one so if I'm Peanut I go out and make the Pro Bowl again and make it really hard not to offer me just one more one year deal.
  15. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    484ß
    Just reading his quote, and listening to his interview, it's clear to me that he wanted to be in Tampa but that they didn't see it the same way. Chicago, by extension, was his only other choice (being the loyal guy he is). I don't know who in Tampa "said no", but if it was Lovie, I'd expect a couple of turnovers when we play them.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß

Tough to think it was Lovie who said no unless it was a money thing but then they were in pretty good shape at CB as far as starters and he has a couple of bigger, younger CBs like Peanut as well so who knows.

He was a FA looking for a home and being with Lovie was comfortable for him. Like I said, I don't hold that against him. But he also made the comment long ago before this matter was ever settled that he planned on retiring as a Bear and that's not mentioned here at all. Anyway, it looks like he'll get his chance for that to happen either in 2015 or 2016. It all depends on how things go this year.
  17. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +931 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    I got that too (He thought Tampa was a done deal). However, that does NOT mean he hasn't bought into what is going on here.

I'm also not sure why he would want to move to Tampa when he is so connected to Chicago.

What we don't know is whether Tampa was the only team to call him. So it would look suspicious that he only went to Tampa, but when really they were the only ones who called him.

While we want him to LOVE the Bears, he is still out for himself and family. So I don't think anyone can fault him for looking.

We just don't know enough of the deals.

You nailed it! He made the headline turn our heads. Then posts "evidence" that could have you lean toward his headline. Fans forget 99% of the NFL players don't have loyalty to the team. They are loyal to money!!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Yep, that how you write a "story" that supports the slant you want it to. It's not news it's semi fiction but apparently people buy into it these days and that's what sells. Some days you just have to take a big old machete to some of this in order to clear the crap away and get to the only news that in there if there even is any. Was this article even newsworthy? No. It was something to dig up to pass the time until camps begin.

Like Dickerson is quoted as saying; "Does it matter"? No it doesn't because it never happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    Nothing new here. It's not news that Peanut loved playing for Lovie Smith. But he's also been the consummate professional on and off the field, so he'll play his best for Trestman too. I agree with the posters who said this is basically a writer trying to manufacture a story during the slow off-season.s
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I think it's hard to imagine being in these guys shoes for the average dude because, well it's such a departure from what we know day in and day out. You might love the Bears but if they were like hey wear our stuff for 4 million and another team was like hey, wear ours this year for 10 million.. and you still had to do the same job.. you'd probably wear some other teams gear too. I love stories like Lynch where his favorite team is the one he's on, or at least has a chance to be on, but that's not always the case.

I also am interested in what McCown will be doing down in TB, all the reports on him have been stellar and the guy was the first one in, last one out here and has taken that attitude down to the Bucs. I'd love for him to do well. I don't think he will perform up to par with what he did here, but even if he's slightly below that it'd be such an amazing story. I'm rooting for the guy and I love that TB did what they could to give him a similar working set of weapons. If Lovie can make that defense good-great then all the offense has to do is be efficient, something they never were with us during the Lovie era and something McCown is a master at.