Is Peanut a Player Who Hasn't "Bought In"?..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 1, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,503ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Are there actually some people questioning Tillman's heart and dedication??

2. tbear1

tbear1
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    Did Tillman really say that??

3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,427ß

But it's his quote, yes. However the headline puts their own spin on it.

so when you read the headline, then read his quote, you can see where the writer is coming from. However, like you said, I doubt that is the case.

Who cares where he thought he would play.. He signed with Chicago.. lol

4. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß

The author is slyly trying to slant it that way in order to create a story line where none exists. I posted it because this is exactly the kind of crap some media types write looking for an uncovered angle. They take a statement out of context and make a quote out of it that supports what they want their article to say not what was actually said and meant by it.

This isn't reporting it's story writing but that's what a lot of media types do these days especially those from the national press like USA Today who is normally not my "go to" for the latest in sports information. You wouldn't see a local media guy EVER have the guts to question Peanuts loyalty to the Bears or his play. To the credit of the intelligence of the members of these forums by the posts no one here is buying it either.

Jeff Dickerson, who is an ESPN Bears media guy summed that up pretty well in his statement too. Peanut is a guy who'll give you an honest interview and he's very conversational and unguarded when he does it. Whatever is on his mind is what you'll hear so he spoke his mind. Was he disappointed that Lovie was let go? Yes, but that would be natural. Was he bitter to the point of "not buying in" as the article tries to imply? Hell no, and anyone who knows Peanut would never believe that for a single minute.

Anyway, it's still all about what was not what is. When you're at the point in your career where Peanut is and without a contract I imagine all kinds of things go through your mind. They would mine. So who knows what if anything was on the table down in TB. It may have been something or maybe even nothing better than the Bears were willing to do. The only thing that matters is that he's back playing CB again and he has one more chance to show that the Bears made no mistake in re-signing him and that he'll play on a one year deal with the same pride and effort he always has. Hell, he may even have another year left in him after this one so if I'm Peanut I go out and make the Pro Bowl again and make it really hard not to offer me just one more one year deal.

5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    847ß
    Just reading his quote, and listening to his interview, it's clear to me that he wanted to be in Tampa but that they didn't see it the same way. Chicago, by extension, was his only other choice (being the loyal guy he is). I don't know who in Tampa "said no", but if it was Lovie, I'd expect a couple of turnovers when we play them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß

Tough to think it was Lovie who said no unless it was a money thing but then they were in pretty good shape at CB as far as starters and he has a couple of bigger, younger CBs like Peanut as well so who knows.

He was a FA looking for a home and being with Lovie was comfortable for him. Like I said, I don't hold that against him. But he also made the comment long ago before this matter was ever settled that he planned on retiring as a Bear and that's not mentioned here at all. Anyway, it looks like he'll get his chance for that to happen either in 2015 or 2016. It all depends on how things go this year.

7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,427ß
    I got that too (He thought Tampa was a done deal). However, that does NOT mean he hasn't bought into what is going on here.

I'm also not sure why he would want to move to Tampa when he is so connected to Chicago.

What we don't know is whether Tampa was the only team to call him. So it would look suspicious that he only went to Tampa, but when really they were the only ones who called him.

While we want him to LOVE the Bears, he is still out for himself and family. So I don't think anyone can fault him for looking.

We just don't know enough of the deals.

You nailed it! He made the headline turn our heads. Then posts "evidence" that could have you lean toward his headline. Fans forget 99% of the NFL players don't have loyalty to the team. They are loyal to money!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Yep, that how you write a "story" that supports the slant you want it to. It's not news it's semi fiction but apparently people buy into it these days and that's what sells. Some days you just have to take a big old machete to some of this in order to clear the crap away and get to the only news that in there if there even is any. Was this article even newsworthy? No. It was something to dig up to pass the time until camps begin.

Like Dickerson is quoted as saying; "Does it matter"? No it doesn't because it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,648ß
    Nothing new here. It's not news that Peanut loved playing for Lovie Smith. But he's also been the consummate professional on and off the field, so he'll play his best for Trestman too. I agree with the posters who said this is basically a writer trying to manufacture a story during the slow off-season.s

#19 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    227ß
    I think it's hard to imagine being in these guys shoes for the average dude because, well it's such a departure from what we know day in and day out. You might love the Bears but if they were like hey wear our stuff for 4 million and another team was like hey, wear ours this year for 10 million.. and you still had to do the same job.. you'd probably wear some other teams gear too. I love stories like Lynch where his favorite team is the one he's on, or at least has a chance to be on, but that's not always the case.

I also am interested in what McCown will be doing down in TB, all the reports on him have been stellar and the guy was the first one in, last one out here and has taken that attitude down to the Bucs. I'd love for him to do well. I don't think he will perform up to par with what he did here, but even if he's slightly below that it'd be such an amazing story. I'm rooting for the guy and I love that TB did what they could to give him a similar working set of weapons. If Lovie can make that defense good-great then all the offense has to do is be efficient, something they never were with us during the Lovie era and something McCown is a master at.