Is the Tampa 2 "Tampa Gone" as the Bears's base defense?!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, May 13, 2014.

1. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Please let it be so! I really believe most teams have figured out the Tampa 2 so much that it has devolved into at best a change-up to be mixed in with other fronts. Certainly, teams have noticed that if it's blocked up well, it is easily gashed in the running game to say nothing of its weaknesses versus the short passing game (See Rodgers, Aaron & Manning, Peyton).
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I think there will be some cover 2, every team has some cover 2 it's a legit D in certain situations, but it won't be the base. Zach Zaidmen said it looks like the D will go back to a 4-3 base using a bigger DL like they had when they had Washington and Traylor.

He also said look for some D plays where you have 4 DL but the NT lined up at the 0 position.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    The Lovie D was tolerable when we had the personnel to execute it but man did it get old knowing that offenses knew exactly what we were up to the majority of games. All it takes is an accurate and patient QB and they'd nickel and dime us all day. I'm excited to be the team the announcers are talking about after a big sack or play when they say the old "here you see an exotic blitz out of this aggressive Bears defense" line. I know you give up some big plays but it'll be cool to confuse some teams and finally get some blitzing going.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I hated watching Chi v GB games knowing that they'd be able to hit that simple ass slant for 5-8 yards every time. Lovie never adjusted to stop it, drove me nuts.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Fuckin' slant.. the bane of my existence in the Lovie years.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß

Could very well see some over or under fronts. I think that's the closest we are getting to a 3-4. As for the tampa 2 base, I would hope its gone. Of course we still will use some 2 coverage but if you look at the personnel we have added it doesn't scream 2 base. Fuller is as good if not better in man as he is in zone. Ego is more of a true NT, but has some nice burst to provide qb pressure. With Shea and Bostic being added, I don't see any of them dropping 25 yards into coverage ala Urlacher, different style of player who can thrive in a more aggressive D.

I think your right. I think the Tampa 2 is all but broke and has been dissected and figured out. We had success with it due to turnovers, but you can't rely on qbs to consistently turn the ball over, especially the good one such as Rodgers.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I love how the majority of the linebackers we sign or draft or pick up as UDFA's seem to have some capacity to rush the QB. Time to make some QB's very uncomfortable. Don't care if you're Matt Schaub or Peyton Manning, you get pressured you make mistakes.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Yep I agree, pressure is key to a dominating defense. Problem with our old system was if the front four can't get consistent pressure then there are gaping holes that good qbs will exploit. No such thing as a coverage sack with that system because it can be schemed to isolate areas or players and with the modern TE's it takes a very special player at MLB to cover the middle of the field. I'd rather have a more unpredictable and aggressive scheme that can force uncertain qbs to either make a quick, less confident decisions or take a sack.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    For sure. There's a balance to it, you don't want to become too blitz happy.. but when the opposing offense doesn't know when or where the blitz could be coming from you can get huge plays as a result. Good point about the modern TE's.. unless you've got an Urlacher-in-his-prime type player, they can dominate that deep middle all day. With the right blitz packages that tight end hasn't even turned back to look for the ball and his QB is already on his ass looking through his ear hole asking for the number of the truck.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    The only flaw with the defense under Lovie Smith was the offense. I'd take any scheme that results in a top-5 defense in the NFL. Our problem most years with the defense, was that our offense was a joke. It's like John Madden used to say, it's not the scheme that makes a great defense. It's the players in that scheme that makes a great defense. Hopefully we have enough solid players added to this existing defense to win games now. That's all I care about. I just want to win.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Great point JABF, when your offense constantly goes 3 and out all damn day it's hard as hell for that defense to remain dominant for all 4 quarters. Makes me cringe thinking of those great defenses we wasted with pathetic offense. At least this year it looks like our offense will hold up it's end of the bargain, time to bring the bite back to the defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I agree, but if you look at our roster behind our line we have a roster that seems much more fit to have a more aggressive defense. Ok, Bostic is not Urlacher. He will never be a guy to drop 25 yards into coverage and run with a TE like Gronk. He is a good downhill player who is physical enough to give a hard jam on a TE or stick a HB or FB out in the flats. He can rush the passer when needed, and will be more effective in that role. Same goes for Shea. Obvious skill in rushing the passer. Now of course we cant blitz every down, but 3rd and 12 would be playing to our strengths to do that.

I am just looking forward to not having to brace myself every time the bears have a team to a 3rd and 14. The thoughts of our front looking like.....

Allen Sutton Houston Young
    Shea DJ Briggs

Gives us alot of options and versatility. Sub in any DTs you please, but I think this is a great pass rushing front 7.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Ya but the reason Lovie's O sucked and his D was top 5 was b/c he put all his resources into the D. His D's shouldn't have been just top 5, they should have been #1 for all the resources; and again go back and look at how many times they were bottom 15 when Harris and/or Urlacher went out, lose 2 guys and the whole thing fell apart, even though all your resources went into the D; that's embarassing.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I agree completely Ric.

That team wasn't managed well and the better player resources were not spread across the roster as they should have been. My only point is that whatever scheme a team chooses to use, it's more important to have solid talent than the scheme itself (and of course you need players who match your scheme). I figure there's no magical defensive scheme that's going to trump having solid players. Over the years you see a cycle where fans have some scheme they think is magic. They come. They go. And they reappear again over the decades. But in the end you either have solid talent to make the schemes work, or you don't. I just want the Bears to put together a solid defense by stocking the cabinet with solid players and adequate depth.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    For sure, I love the versatility of our pass rush. I don't know how great Briggs is at rushing the passer but all the other linebackers we have are pretty good at it, or at least have some experience doing so. I remember DJ Williams was wreaking havoc in the backfield before he got hurt. Who knows if the UDFA's will stick but both Jones and Lattimore can rush the passer. Then you add in people like Kyle Fuller and the QB might start getting happy feet.
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +802 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß

FUCK YES!! I mean how many times are you going to let them do that? Apparently ALL game!!

In the end it's crap like that, that cost Lovie his job!!

DROVE ME NUTS!!! Damn dump passes or 5-8 yard patterns.
  17. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Yea those game were horrible to watch because even us fans knew what was gonna happen once GB started hitting those slant routes, there was alot of yelling and screaming at my tv when lovie didn't adjust..
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    it's 2 years removed and i'm still stressed over it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The problem I always had with the Tampa-2 is that you needed specific horses to make it run, and if any one of them went down, the machine was sputtering. If two go down, you're dead in the water. There were few adjustments to be made that could compensate for the hole left when a player went down. I mean, it is football. Whoda thunk a player might get injured? Crazy, I know.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    agreed butka, which again brings me back to last year and Tucker losing 3 pro bowlers and key starters and their backups and people actling like that was no big deal, while spouting how Lovie always had a top 5 D, ignoring that lovie could lose 1 or 2 pro bowers and be a bottom 15 ranked D.

The Cover 2 D, much like 46 D of the 80's, and Martz's greatest show on Turf in the 90's, were completely predicated on having an overload of elite talent, and when the talent wasn't there the system fell apart.
    • Like Like x 2