Is the Tampa 2 "Tampa Gone" as the Bears's base defense?!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, May 13, 2014.

1. 50YearFrustration

ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Please let it be so! I really believe most teams have figured out the Tampa 2 so much that it has devolved into at best a change-up to be mixed in with other fronts. Certainly, teams have noticed that if it's blocked up well, it is easily gashed in the running game to say nothing of its weaknesses versus the short passing game (See Rodgers, Aaron & Manning, Peyton).

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,057ß
    Ratings:
    +4,517 / 10 / -8
    I think there will be some cover 2, every team has some cover 2 it's a legit D in certain situations, but it won't be the base. Zach Zaidmen said it looks like the D will go back to a 4-3 base using a bigger DL like they had when they had Washington and Traylor.

He also said look for some D plays where you have 4 DL but the NT lined up at the 0 position.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    The Lovie D was tolerable when we had the personnel to execute it but man did it get old knowing that offenses knew exactly what we were up to the majority of games. All it takes is an accurate and patient QB and they'd nickel and dime us all day. I'm excited to be the team the announcers are talking about after a big sack or play when they say the old "here you see an exotic blitz out of this aggressive Bears defense" line. I know you give up some big plays but it'll be cool to confuse some teams and finally get some blitzing going.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,057ß
    Ratings:
    +4,517 / 10 / -8
    I hated watching Chi v GB games knowing that they'd be able to hit that simple ass slant for 5-8 yards every time. Lovie never adjusted to stop it, drove me nuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    Fuckin' slant.. the bane of my existence in the Lovie years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    480ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0

Could very well see some over or under fronts. I think that's the closest we are getting to a 3-4. As for the tampa 2 base, I would hope its gone. Of course we still will use some 2 coverage but if you look at the personnel we have added it doesn't scream 2 base. Fuller is as good if not better in man as he is in zone. Ego is more of a true NT, but has some nice burst to provide qb pressure. With Shea and Bostic being added, I don't see any of them dropping 25 yards into coverage ala Urlacher, different style of player who can thrive in a more aggressive D.

I think your right. I think the Tampa 2 is all but broke and has been dissected and figured out. We had success with it due to turnovers, but you can't rely on qbs to consistently turn the ball over, especially the good one such as Rodgers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    I love how the majority of the linebackers we sign or draft or pick up as UDFA's seem to have some capacity to rush the QB. Time to make some QB's very uncomfortable. Don't care if you're Matt Schaub or Peyton Manning, you get pressured you make mistakes.

8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    480ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    Yep I agree, pressure is key to a dominating defense. Problem with our old system was if the front four can't get consistent pressure then there are gaping holes that good qbs will exploit. No such thing as a coverage sack with that system because it can be schemed to isolate areas or players and with the modern TE's it takes a very special player at MLB to cover the middle of the field. I'd rather have a more unpredictable and aggressive scheme that can force uncertain qbs to either make a quick, less confident decisions or take a sack.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    For sure. There's a balance to it, you don't want to become too blitz happy.. but when the opposing offense doesn't know when or where the blitz could be coming from you can get huge plays as a result. Good point about the modern TE's.. unless you've got an Urlacher-in-his-prime type player, they can dominate that deep middle all day. With the right blitz packages that tight end hasn't even turned back to look for the ball and his QB is already on his ass looking through his ear hole asking for the number of the truck.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,246ß
    Ratings:
    +4,567 / 4 / -1
    The only flaw with the defense under Lovie Smith was the offense. I'd take any scheme that results in a top-5 defense in the NFL. Our problem most years with the defense, was that our offense was a joke. It's like John Madden used to say, it's not the scheme that makes a great defense. It's the players in that scheme that makes a great defense. Hopefully we have enough solid players added to this existing defense to win games now. That's all I care about. I just want to win.

• Like Like x 1