Is the Tampa 2 "Tampa Gone" as the Bears's base defense?!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, May 13, 2014.

1. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Great point JABF, when your offense constantly goes 3 and out all damn day it's hard as hell for that defense to remain dominant for all 4 quarters. Makes me cringe thinking of those great defenses we wasted with pathetic offense. At least this year it looks like our offense will hold up it's end of the bargain, time to bring the bite back to the defense.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I agree, but if you look at our roster behind our line we have a roster that seems much more fit to have a more aggressive defense. Ok, Bostic is not Urlacher. He will never be a guy to drop 25 yards into coverage and run with a TE like Gronk. He is a good downhill player who is physical enough to give a hard jam on a TE or stick a HB or FB out in the flats. He can rush the passer when needed, and will be more effective in that role. Same goes for Shea. Obvious skill in rushing the passer. Now of course we cant blitz every down, but 3rd and 12 would be playing to our strengths to do that.

I am just looking forward to not having to brace myself every time the bears have a team to a 3rd and 14. The thoughts of our front looking like.....

Allen Sutton Houston Young
    Shea DJ Briggs

Gives us alot of options and versatility. Sub in any DTs you please, but I think this is a great pass rushing front 7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ya but the reason Lovie's O sucked and his D was top 5 was b/c he put all his resources into the D. His D's shouldn't have been just top 5, they should have been #1 for all the resources; and again go back and look at how many times they were bottom 15 when Harris and/or Urlacher went out, lose 2 guys and the whole thing fell apart, even though all your resources went into the D; that's embarassing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I agree completely Ric.

That team wasn't managed well and the better player resources were not spread across the roster as they should have been. My only point is that whatever scheme a team chooses to use, it's more important to have solid talent than the scheme itself (and of course you need players who match your scheme). I figure there's no magical defensive scheme that's going to trump having solid players. Over the years you see a cycle where fans have some scheme they think is magic. They come. They go. And they reappear again over the decades. But in the end you either have solid talent to make the schemes work, or you don't. I just want the Bears to put together a solid defense by stocking the cabinet with solid players and adequate depth.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

For sure, I love the versatility of our pass rush. I don't know how great Briggs is at rushing the passer but all the other linebackers we have are pretty good at it, or at least have some experience doing so. I remember DJ Williams was wreaking havoc in the backfield before he got hurt. Who knows if the UDFA's will stick but both Jones and Lattimore can rush the passer. Then you add in people like Kyle Fuller and the QB might start getting happy feet.

6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

FUCK YES!! I mean how many times are you going to let them do that? Apparently ALL game!!

In the end it's crap like that, that cost Lovie his job!!

DROVE ME NUTS!!! Damn dump passes or 5-8 yard patterns.

7. Akuma2000

Akuma2000
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yea those game were horrible to watch because even us fans knew what was gonna happen once GB started hitting those slant routes, there was alot of yelling and screaming at my tv when lovie didn't adjust..

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

it's 2 years removed and i'm still stressed over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. butka

butka
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

The problem I always had with the Tampa-2 is that you needed specific horses to make it run, and if any one of them went down, the machine was sputtering. If two go down, you're dead in the water. There were few adjustments to be made that could compensate for the hole left when a player went down. I mean, it is football. Whoda thunk a player might get injured? Crazy, I know.

• Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

agreed butka, which again brings me back to last year and Tucker losing 3 pro bowlers and key starters and their backups and people actling like that was no big deal, while spouting how Lovie always had a top 5 D, ignoring that lovie could lose 1 or 2 pro bowers and be a bottom 15 ranked D.

The Cover 2 D, much like 46 D of the 80's, and Martz's greatest show on Turf in the 90's, were completely predicated on having an overload of elite talent, and when the talent wasn't there the system fell apart.

• Like Like x 2