It Wouldn't be a Complete Day Without a Rosenrant...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 29, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    If Bostic starts for Bears, then so does trouble

Steve Rosenbloom The RosenBlog
    8:28 a.m. CDT, July 28, 2014

If Jon Bostic starts this season, the Bears are in trouble.

I don’t think Bostic is ready to be a starting middle linebacker for a Super Bowl contender, and apparently, neither do the Bears, or they wouldn’t have re-signed D.J. Williams and put him atop the depth chart in the middle.

Williams just turned 32 and is coming off a torn pectoral. Bostic is nine years younger and apparently is healthy enough to overrun any play an offense can think up. And that’s the first reason Williams is the starter.

The second reason might be that Bears coaches and management have done everything to gin up competition in training camp, starting with using some form of the word “compete’’ approximately 25,000 times in one news conference.

Bears coaches and management might think Bostic will become better by having to work his way up from second string, although he’s in the middle in the nickel package. It’s a tactic that has been used successfully with football players, but it reeks of lame because starting decisions still come down to a player’s smarts and technique.

Which leads to the third reason I believe Williams is the starter and will remain so as long as he’s healthy: He might be the best tackler on the team.

Williams showed speed along with smarts and technique in averaging more than three tackles a game last season before ending his season after six games. He had two sacks, putting him on pace for five, which would’ve threatened the team lead, such as it was last year, and thanks for that, Julius Peppers.

In fewer than half the games that Bostic played, Williams averaged more tackles and totaled more sacks.

But once Williams went down for the year after defensive tackles Henry Melton and Nate Collins suffered season-ending injuries, the Bears gave up 100-yard rushing games to players you’d never heard of and never will again. Opponents tore through the middle of what used to be the Bears defense, easily reaching the skidding, sliding, slipping, sloppy safeties because the middle linebacker either couldn’t make the tackle or wasn’t even in position to give it a shot.

It’s hard to remember after all the horrible play, but even after a couple injuries early last season, the Bears defense still played respectably. Williams was a big reason. He will be again this season.

It’s not the big hits, such as the one Williams laid on Ka’Deem Carey on Sunday, it’s the sure hits. It shouldn’t be such a revelation that a football player stands out because he can tackle, but these days, that’s the case, especially with the Bears history.

One of the sad developments of the new collective bargaining agreement is the reduction of padded practices. The Bears had their first on Sunday. They will have another Monday. And then not again until, I don’t know, the week of the first Green Bay game, I believe. I’ll have to check on that, but you get the idea.

The fewer padded practices, the less practice tackling. The less practice getting to the right spot to tackle, as well. It doesn’t all get solved in the practice games, which is why smart Bears coaches have given the starting middle linebacker job to the sure thing instead of the high draft guess.

The Bears might be better equipped this season to withstand a kid middle linebacker’s eagerness and mistakes, especially if they don’t have to pull starting defensive tackles off the street again. But you don’t get points for degree of difficulty.

Maybe Bostic makes the big jump in professional play that some people expect. Maybe he figures out how to cover and diagnose plays. Maybe that retooled defensive line can deodorize the shortcomings of a sophomore linebacker. That’s a lot of maybes -- too many for me when it involves a team thinking Super Bowl.
    Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    Well it's really not much of a rant compared to others he's pulled off but since most of the other writers are pissing kool-aid and shitting cupcakes over Bears camp we need at least one negative nelly around to keep our expectations in check right?

Besides I love to pick his crap apart because he never gets stuff right.

From what I can gather this blog is Steve Rosebloom's sole reason for existing. I mean other than he's Jewish and his mother doesn't even like him. Now how often does that happen? Maybe it's the lack of mother love and being a bottle baby that makes him this way. Or maybe someone just stuck a very long tube up his ass years ago and it's never been removed so he's returning the favor by being a pain in the ass columnist.

Actually he starts off by making sense and that I highlighted. Of course the Bears brought DWill back with the thought in mind that he'd start. At least that's the way he put it during a recent interview. I think we all got that part Steve but thanks for reminding us. What would we do without you?

But then you go and screw it all up with that other paragraph I highlighted. He's the best coverage LB on the field so based on that first paragraph if you're theory is that we play our best guys then why wouldn't you play your best coverage LB on obvious passing downs? You mean you really couldn't figure that out on your own or was it the only flimsy excuse you could come up with to put down Bostic?

Jeez, no wonder your mother hates you Steve. She and your Dad spent good money to send you to the best of schools and they still couldn't teach you any common sense. You're criticizing Bostics smarts and technique both of which you lack as a writer I might add. If you still have outstanding tuition loans from journalism school don't pay them off. You got screwed.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a 10 year vet might have a better handle on playing MLB in the pros than a rookie but this sentence is a pretty pathetic example of the lack of research on your part Steve. Open mouth insert foot, or should I say open laptop.

"In fewer than half the games that Bostic played, Williams averaged more tackles and totaled more sacks".

According to the same official Bears website we both have access to these are the actual numbers and you lie, your feet stink and you don't love Jesus. (well your Jewish so you have an out for that last one, LOL)

Games played; Bostic 16/9 starts ....... DWill 6/4 starts ***
    Tackles; Bostic 57 total/45 solo/12 asst ....... DWill 27 total/19 solo/8 asst
    Sacks; Bostic 2 ....... DWill 2
    Pass Def; Bostic 1 ....... DWill 0
    Interception; Bostic 1 ....... DWill 0

*** I don't know where the other two or three starts went unless they started in nickel coverage with no MLB. That would be my guess.

So let's summarize;

Bostic 9 starts/57 tackles = 6.33 per game
    DWill 4 starts/27 tackles = 6.75 per game

(We can only count the starts because other than that we don't even know if they even set foot on the field. I'm actually 100% certain DWill did because I saw all of those games and Bostic never played until the after DWill was injured in the Giants game. Anyway it's pretty damn close and at least DWill played 2 or 3 games behind decent DTs. Bostic got none.)

Sacks were 2 each so no blood there and Bostic had a pick so he's one up in that category. So that stats you use Steve have no real bearing on this. They don't tell the whole story.

At this point in there careers to say DWill is the better MLB based solely on his experience I have no argument with at all. He clearly is, but to use false stats and assumptions to make that point was unnecessary and inaccurate as well.

Bostic is clearly the better athlete of the two and has far more upside but conventional wisdom would say start DWill and let Bostic continue to grow playing in the nickel coverage which he seems to excel at. DWill may deserve the starting role now but by December who knows. He's got both Bostic and McClellin barking at his heels and one or the other is destined to be the Bears MLB eventually.

Sorry but I just don't see that defense in serious trouble again if DWill is injured and one of the other two has to step in. This isn't 2013 and either will be playing behind a far better DL than Bostic had to contend with. Losing DWill hurt last year no doubt but then he never had to play with all of the rest of the pieces that defense was missing either or his play would probably have deteriorated as well just as Andersons did.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  3. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I normally don't fall for emotive articles like these, but every time I read one of his articles I want to punch him in the face. I know this is likely the response he is going for, but I just can't help it. I think that Bostic is going to show up well in the preseason, and has a legitimate chance of overtaking DWill for the starting MLB spot.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    This is something that has really disappointed me with the Bears defense in recent years. It has killed us in key plays in big games. How often have we seen that missed tackle allow the key drive to continue in games? I find myself wondering how in the heck does a guy make it to the NFL without having learned how to tackle? Think about that. These guys begin playing when they're in grade school Pop Warner and have played defense most of their life - yet they can't tackle? I don't see this on the better defenses in the league, so I don't buy for a minute that it's a "given" that we're going to be a poor tackling defense. It seems to me to be a Bears-specific problem in recent years.
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I agree w/this. Regardless of the rules on time of tackling practice, if it is your job to excel at a skill one should endeavor to get the reps in outside of practice. Tackling needs to be stressed in practice just like creating turnovers. Perhaps even moreso.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    One guy who is amazingly good at tackling is Peanut. He is a real technician when it comes to tackling efficiently. I love to watch him work. Even against the studs he faces in the NFCN regularly, he gets it done. He's smart and uses technique to drop these guys. I wish he could teach some of the poor tacklers on the Bears how to tackle better. Here's the 5 worst tacklers last season:

Chicago Bears: Top 5 Defenders Who Missed the Most Tackles in 2013-14

By the way, regarding our defense, I'm most worried about Lance Briggs this year. He looked like crap even before he was injured. I think he's hit the wall age-wise. Some can play well into their mid-30's but some can't. I think Briggs is done (unless there was something physically wrong with him that we didn't know about - prior to the injury). I know somebody will jump in here and blame his poor play on the Dline, but there's something going on here other than what you can blame on the DL. He doesn't look like he has in past years at all. It reminds me so much of Urlacher's last year.
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    I have a theory about bad tackling . How many times do we see RB's break the line then juke a guy and leave him with his jock spinning around his head ? Too often . And where do you see them looking ? Head and shoulders .
    When I was a youngun , we were trained to look at a guys waist ( and to ignore all the other stuff ) when zeroing in to make a tackle cuz that's the one part of the body that doesn't really shake much - and where IT goes , the man goes .

I wonder if this is still really being taught today . Fundamentals r fundamentals and they haven't changed over the years . My .02
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß

Yep, he's Steve Rosenbloom so live with it. LOL He serves a purpose I guess but he'd be a lot smarter if just stuck ranting with nothing to back him up because whenever he tries the facts don't back him up.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß

You can probably thank the CBA for some of it. No two-a days, limited practices in pads, stricter IR rules unlike MLB, the salary cap, etc. Adrian Wilson commented on how much easier these camps have gotten and he's just one of many.

I wonder too but it's still a skill that needs to be practiced and honed like any other and when contact is limited that gives the coaches that much less time to find the flaws and correct them in camp. It's the shits.

The on top of that you have diva CBs who don't do run support and diva WR who won't block. It's becoming far more of a finesse game and the tackling is atrocious.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    Wouldn't you? I mean at least to a degree? Someone tell me exactly how we can make any kind of a determination of Briggs play in that mess last year? If he's slipped that much why is he the only LB whose a lock as a starter? Apparently the game films don't agree with your hunch.

Let's wait until THIS year is over before we hand him his official retirement walker and cane and put him out to pasture OK? If it's him whose slipping and not those around him we'll sure as hell know it this year. The only thing about Briggs that concerns me right now is him calling defensive signals. He sucks at it.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I could be way off base on this Soul, and I do agree we need to see how he performs this year before we trot out the walker and retirement slippers. Maybe he'll be fine. I could be dead wrong and hopefully I am. But I do worry. The only thing that I see different this season is that he's another year older - and in a shoulder sling for a bum shoulder. You make a good point about the signal calling too.....maybe he's okay here...I don't know. But, I keep thinking about him being our #1 worst tackler from last year and add all of this up, and think - how could you not be (at least a bit) worried about him? It doesn't mean he's washed up, but he is definitely the guy I'm worried about in that LB corps. I know folks will think I'm nuts to doubt a guy who's been a perennial pro-bowl talent, but I do think he could be winding down with his career. He could still have something left in the tank, or not. We'll just have to wait and see how he plays.

Now watch him have a pro-bowl season and make me look like an idiot here :-)
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  12. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Briggs actually looked pretty good in most games prior to the injury. He is obviously athletic, but it's his diagnosis of plays and how quickly he makes his decisions that makes him so good. However, he has always been a sure tackler, and if he missed that many last year then it is definitely a concern. I still feel a lot of the problem with ALL of the LBs and much of the secondary comes down to the injuries up front, so it will be very interesting to see how they respond with the revamped line.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß

No, just a worry wort. :4 6 200v[1]: :bah:

I'm just not gonna see it as a problem until it is one is all. For his entire career he was either the top tackler or second only to Urlacher so his rep is worth something to me. Last year he was as exposed as every other LB on that team and all of them had miserable years.

If he was the only LB on that list I'd be more worried but just about the entire middle of the defense is. Both Safeties, both OLBs and if DWill wasn't hurt he'd probably be on that list too. The line wasn't even slowing anyone down or diverting them towards the tacklers. Guys were just blowing through them like they didn't exist. I gotta see how it turns out this year when they have a legit DL in front of them.

I'm not worried about that sling either. Players with injured knees wear knee braces to give them extra protection and Briggs has a sling to do the same. It may be more of a help than a hindrance. He's also playing for a ring and to stay unretired so that should be a huge motivator for him. I don't think he's gonna want to hang it up after this season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I completely understand the need to get under the readers' skin to maximize relevance, but you also paint yourself into a corner that way. What happens when/if the Bears make it deep into the playoffs? Are you REALLY going to needle the weaknesses as if there's simply no way this team could rise above their flaws(I'm guessing YES)? What happens if they win the super bowl?

Either way, I'd rather have him than that woman beater, Jay Mariotti.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I just got back from training camp. Briggs looked just fine.
    Great, so, I'm gonna have to find something else to worry about :-)
    • Like Like x 1