Izzy cut, no surprises here

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by riczaj01, Feb 21, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    Remeber when everyone was like, omfg how could you not re sign the Great and powerfull Izz? ya he got cut today b/c he sucked balls last year. That's why he wasn't re signed, good move by Emery, his mistake was trying to get a replacement that was on the doorstep of retirement also.

Wasn't Rocky on the Bears a few years ago; name sounds familiar.

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl...s-with-5-players-including-kicker-david-akers

Detroit Lions cutting ties with 5 players, including kicker David Akers
    Posted 4 hrs 33 mins ago via Ann Arbor News
    Safety John Wendling, defensive end Israel Idonije, offensive lineman Dylan Gandy, and linebacker Rocky McIntosh also are out
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Wasn't Rocky on the Bears a few years ago; name sounds familiar.

Nope, he was with the Skins. The name may ring a bell because his name was being bantered about the media as a good young option for the Bears when Briggs contract dispute was going on. Once Briggs re-signed, the McIntosh rumors subsided.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    You know, Idonije always played well for the Bears. I do not pretend to know why he did not mesh with the team. Perhaps he was an A-hole in the locker room or maybe he complained to the coaches all the time. I do know that he showed up on game day, especially when he was at DE. moving him to DT hurt him. I think the Bears would have bee a better team in 2013 if they had him on the roster.

That said, I hope the Bears can bring in some tough young talent on the DL this draft. If not, they could do worse than Izzy.
  4. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I was on board for izzy to be a backup/roatwtion de. He might have played bad, but so did our entire core. Hell, izzy got cut, we decide to give our starting de "a shot" at lb.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    no the starting DE was Wotton, our backup DE is getting a shot at LB.

I loved Izzy as a player for the Bears, but reality is time was not on his side, and his play, when he got a chance in Det, wasn't all that much better then Shea who is now being moved to LB.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I have a feeling that izzy would have been much stronger against the run than Bass or Shea, and if he was with us he could have slid inside allowing Wootten to stay outside and maybe Shea could have been more of the situational guy we were hoping for
  7. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Do not be surprised if Izzy ends up in Tampa.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    MD, I have no doubt that he would have been stronger then Shea, but you are undercutting how good Bass was at times, PFF(as flawed as they are I'm the first to admit) had Bass as the 25th best DE one week.

And besides, Izzy wasn't going to take Shea's spot as starter or backup; and no one could have predicted both Melton and Collins going down to force Wootton inside, which is the only way Izzy even makes the field. Both Wootton and Shea were ahead of Izzy on the depth chart, so why re sign him? Why not try and get a cheaper depth guy? Again I loved Izzy, but there was just no reason to re sign him w/the way last years roster was shaping; unless you are looking at the worst case scenerio, which no GM or HC does.
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    Izzy was reasonably good for us and i was sad to see him go, i guess he though he got low-balled, i think he got a fair offer, just like 54. i guess the only one who got overpaid was jay and maybe josh (will be) but i guess its just the qb market at the moment
  10. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +416 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    Izzy would have been a better player on the D-Line than Langdon Cohen. With the injuries we had last year on the D, we could have used Idonije.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    he wasn't signing for the cost of Cohen, and the Bears were not goin to pay their 3rd DE the kind of money he was offered.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +416 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    Idonije got veteran minimum from the Lions. 840K with a cap cost of 620K. We signed Sedrick Ellis to a 1 million dollar deal, then he retired. We should have just kept Izzy.
  13. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    446ß
    Did we end up having to pay him anything for retiring?
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    Izzy wasn't coming back to sit on the bench; which he did anyways. And no we shouldn't have brough him back, he was as bad, actually worse then Shea. It's why he was on the bench most of last year and going to "retire" this year.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +416 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    1. Eh, you don't know what Izzy was willing to do. All you or I know is that Emery was unwilling to offer him a deal and that the Bears defense was the worst in the league.

2. He was on the bench in Detroit because they had a healthy and great defensive line. It may be dirty, but it gets after QB's. He saw less than half the snaps that he got in 2012. What, was he supposed to beat out Ansah or Fairly for playing time?

If Izzy never signed with Detroit, and just stayed at home waiting by the phone, he'd have been a Bear after Melton got hurt. It's Emery's job to plan his his roster better than picking up first round busts like Ellis and that Jamaal Anderson super bust.

If Izzy were here, he could have played DT instead of Wooton. Wooten could have played DE more. The defense would have looked better than it did. Langdon Cohen would not have worn a Bears jersey.

Man, how can you judge that Izzy was worse than McClellin? They are entirely different types of players. Izzy isn't explosive at all. He just manhandles guys and is good against the run. Shea's only strength is his speed and is awful against the run. What, are you comparing their stats like tackles? Yeah, that's not as helpful when judging defensive line players as you'd think.

Izzy was brought to Detroit to help them against the run. You know, the problem that dogged the Bears D last year. He'd have been an asset.