Jared Allen Comments on Jeremiah Ratliff.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Ratliff is a Beast!

By Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporter
    7:53 p.m. CDT, March 31, 2014

Five days after making their biggest splash in free agency with the signing of defensive end Jared Allen, the Chicago Bears formally introduced the five-time Pro Bowler on Monday at Halas Hall. Allen's arrival is expected to invigorate a needy pass rush. Here are three other things you need to know about Allen's arrival.

Allen’s most enthusiastic praise for his new teammates went toward Jeremiah Ratliff, the defensive tackle who signed a two-year extension with the Bears before free agency began.

When he’s healthy,” Allen said, “he’s an absolute beast in the middle “

Allen also knows just how valuable it can be to have a disruptive and complementary tackle lining up beside him. For years, with both Pat Williams and Kevin Williams with the Vikings, Allen developed a comfort and synergy for how to operate. His six-year run playing beside Kevin Williams gave Allen a new appreciation for just how well a defensive line can hum when guys have a feel for one another’s rhythm and moves.

“It’s getting those reps in practice with the guy to understand, ‘O.K., what’s his countermove?’” Allen said. “I’ll need to know what Jay’s countermove is so when I’m rushing up the field and I see him up that he’s going to counter. And he also needs to understand like, ‘Hey, I need you to make a decision by two or three steps here.’ That’s how you start falling off with things naturally with each other. I could literally look at Kevin and if we had a set that we saw, I could look at him and we just knew that ‘OK here, you’re gonna go up and I’m gonna come under. Or vice versa. It just comes down to reps and communication and talking about it. It also comes down to obviously the philosophy of the d-linemen, of what coach is gonna allow us to flow in and out of.”

And Ratliff’s strengths in being a force against the run with a pass rush prowess to boot excites Allen.

“To have a guy who can consistently get 3 or 4 yards deep, the quarterback’s got one way to go,” he said. “To me or him. So that really I’m excited about.”
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Reading between the lines it would seem that the Bears intend to use Ratliff at NT along with Paea. It makes sense because that's what he played as a 4 time Pro Bowler in Dallas.

The tipoffs to it are here Allen talking about what a beast he is "in the middle", the position of the NT. Also the comments about knowing how important it is to have a great NT lining up next to him. That would also be the position of the NT most of the time in a 4-3 "over front". In the "under front" the DT is next to the RDE but in either case the NT "shade" the OC on one side of the other and has the A gap.

The final tipoff would be him talking about getting 3-4 yards deep or "pushing the pocket" so the QB can't step up and away from the DEs rush. A 3 tech DT would shoot the gap and attempt to get pressure or a sack from the left side opposite the RDE. These two positions are the main thrust of the pass rush. While the NT collapses the pocket and the LDE keep contain against a rollout by the QB to his right.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Allen is going to be the RDE, so if the RDE is next to the DT so therefore Ratliff would be DT.
  4. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Third and 8 maybe after an incomplete pass under pressure and then a run of 2 years. Young- Houston-Ratliff-Allen coming at you. Do you take on some big versatile bests up the middle or do you run towards the athletic younger guy or the experienced sack machine. I really hope our defense stays healthy this so we can see some of their potential
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    I do to but at least this year we have depth. To those four you probably add Izzy, Paea, Bass or Washington, Collins, and a rookie DT. We won't have any trouble keeping the pass rush fresh this year.
  6. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Reading this where it mentions the old Minnesota D-line with the "Williams Wall"and big old Pat Williams...made me think maybe Louis Nix III could be our Pat Williams? I'm starting to like the idea of Nix, not sure he's worth taking at 14 though if Dennard or Gilbert are on the board.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Don't need Nix right now when we have Ratliff. He's the beast NT Allen is referring to. Let's just hope he has enough "beast" in him for two more years and a Super Bowl ring. I think it'll take one more after this one before we can get there.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    Nix and Ratliff would be double beasts. Since the Bears need a 3 tech I doubt they will take Nix. However Nix and Quarles along with existing guys would apply a lot of heat to the QB and would be fun to watch. Do not see them taking dt with first 2 picks with S and MLB unsettled. But definitely would be one hell of a d line and a very strong rotation.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
  10. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The beast is a tendon pull away from being a sidelined hamster for the year. The team has to be prepared for that contingency. Dix fixes that.

This team misses the playoffs again this year is our defensive middle is weak. We can't afford to have that happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    All I can think of is what Ratliff playing in beast mode next to Donald or Nix would be like to watch. I'm getting stoked for the season just thinking about that. Then you have Allen and Houston at ends, and I think with all that going on in the middle, McClellin is also going to have his shots at the QB because everyone is going to be occupied on their OL. :4 8 4v[1]:
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Dix plays Safety. You mean Nix.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I love how guys want to play the injury card "what ifs". Hell, we could do that with every position. Let's draft a QB who doesn't fit our offense like Manziel just in case Cutler gets hurt again. Let's trade up and draft Sammy Watkins because we'll need him IF Marshall or Jeffery get hurt. Let's draft two CBs just in case both Tillman and Jennings both get hurt. The list is endless. Spending a 1st round pick who doesn't fit your team as a contingency pick makes zero sense when you have other spots to fill. This is nothing more than reaching for a rationalization or an excuse. Great for pretend GMs and career killers for real ones.

We have another NT behind him who'll also play in the rotation and that's Paea. In addition you have Collins who can also play NT in this defense. I'm gonna keep reinforcing this point. Nix is a wide body two-gap NT in a 3-4 front. We don't play that type of defense. Our NTs are smaller more active one-gap "Shade" NTs. If we wanted one more of those to add to the two and a half we already have then we'd take Jernigan not Nix. The missing link in the front four is a 3 tech DT. We have two and half NTs already and one half of a backup level 3 tech DT. Let's draft what we need and don't have not what we don't need and have.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Nix, Nax, paddy whack, what's the difference...
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    With a huge rotation and perhaps a hybrid 3-4 adding Nix we may see here or there would be both a tough d line AND harder to game plan against.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Yeah, BiH, me too. The "right pick" at DT (and I'm not claiming that any one guy is the ONLY guy) and the DL is looking like an area of strength rather than the total dumpster fire it was last season. Add in whatever Paea, Collins, Bass/Izzy, and Young can give you and that looks like a fierce rotation there both in run and pass D.

Emery turned around a disaster on the OL--only a little over a year ago we had Webb, Rachal, CWilliams, and Carimi there--in short order. Is it too much to hope lightning can strike twice?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    And he did the same thing last year. Don't forget, we are only a short time away from Hester being our #1 WR. That was a dumpster fire if there ever was one. One time, ok... Twice? The guy knows what he's doing.
  17. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Maybe it was a Freudian typo. Ultimately, Emery has gone on record preaching versatility. Nix gives that versatility. We have a lot of needs and at some point the other "professionals" on the roster have to step up and do their jobs. The guys you referenced didn't last year. What makes you think they will this year?

If you tried to tell me that Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork wouldn't have functioned well in our 4-3 defense under Lovie then you're too far gone to help.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Didn't you get the message, Soul? You can't draft with a view to what your team needs, that is bad. Evil even.

The biggest crock that comes up every year pre-draft. Even though pretty much every year every team drafts in the high rounds the best available player who in their opinion (right or wrong) fits their scheme and their roster plans. A problem happens when your GM spends a high draft pick trying to "fill a need" with a player who ends up being a poor fit. IMO, the Shea pick was emblematic of that. If he had been drafted by a 3-4 team looking for a pass rushing OLB behind an already stout front 3, he probably wouldn't be considered a bust right now. That's the difference.
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I think that is on the spot. Tucker gets to show his scheme and NOT the Lovie 2. Perhaps see a percentage of 3-4 and finally stopping the run-maybe even w/Nix and we can see what McC can do at LB.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Between those two, Nix and Dix? About 120-130lbs I'd say. LOL