Jared Allen Comments on Jeremiah Ratliff.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    151ß
    F
    For the record, Dix was the highest rated JFL DT in the nation according to Parade Magazine circa 2004. ;)
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    OK, another mensa makes my ignore list. But before you go Einstein I should tell you that we could have drafted Wilfork but didn't because Lovie doesn't use wide body 3-4 NTs in a one gap 4-3 defense. We took Tommie Harris instead who was a one gap 3 tech DT. Wilfork went 7 picks later. And we don't use a 3-4 two gap NT today either. If we did then why didn't we try to sign B.J. Raji instead of Houston, or Linval Joseph instead of guys like Ratliff and Collins? Because they're not the type of DT or NT we use in this defense.

We never got a shot at Ngata but he wouldn't have been our type either. Don't ask me how they would have functioned here. I don't know and YOU don't either because they never did. Would Peyton Manning be headed to the HOF if he's played his entire career behind the Bears OL throwing to the WRs we've had before Marshall and Jeffery arrived? Ya' see, we can play at this game all day. Your next.

We DID draft Tommie Harris and until he ripped that muscle off his bone he kicked ass and took names. I'd say we did alright with the pick we made that year. Melton was a 3 tech. Our first good one since Harris was injured. He walked. If we plan on playing the same defensive front, and expect to have a great inside pass rush, then he needs to be replaced. Donald is the best one in this draft and maybe the best one to come along for awhile. Nix may be a fine player but he's not the best fit for the Bears. He's not a 3 tech DT and no amount of versatility will ever make him one. That's not his position any more than it would be asking why we don't use Brandon Marshall as a TE or move Peanut to FS. If we want a more versatile DT who does fit a 4-3 scheme then we'd probably take Jernigan. He's a better fit.

Maybe you should consider the fact that these players you mentioned are as good as they are with the teams they're with because they play in the natural positions they were drafted to play in a defense they're built to play in. If a 4-3 team drafts Nix then they're playing him out of position if the try to make a 3 tech DT out of him and that's what we're one short of. Not a two gap NT. We have two one gap NTs who do fit this defense. Could Nix play there? Yes, he probably could but he's still not the best choice unless you plan on altering the defensive front. Why would you spend your top draft pick on a player and then expect him to play out of position? Haven't we already tried that one during that past two seasons?

So there ya' go. I've given you the basic reasons why he's not the choice for us in this draft and what I got in return was excuses about injury "what ifs" and requests to compare players who've never played in Chicago and probably never would have. If we'd have had Brett Favre for a QB rather than Grossman and the other lineup of clowns we've had we might have won a SB or two since 1986 too but we didn't. I'm not into imagining what isn't or wasn't. I'm looking at what can happen in the future. So take your Madden Game out and draft Nix if you like. Then trade for Wilfork and Ngata and you'll have the makings of a great 3-4 line. The only trouble is in the real world the Bears play a 4-3 and that's all I have to go on so that's how I make my decisions. Emery has made a lot of very positive moves this year but if he were to draft Nix in place of Donald I would be disappointed and wonder why.

Enjoy the season Champ. After that closing remark of yours this will be my last post to you asshole.

:10 4 4v[1]:
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I can only go by what both Emery and Trestman have both been quoted as saying and unless they're lying through their teeth you will seldom see a 3-4 front and in the few instances where it might be used it would be to provide confusion on the pass rush not as run stopping scheme.

Emery said early on that we'd be sticking with a 4-3 base defense so no matter what twists Tucker decides to use they'll be twists on 4-3 and not conversions to a 3-4. During the owners meeting last week Trestman was asked about it as well and said point blank that they would seldom us a 3 man front. The plan was similar to Lovie's Get a great rush from your front four and drop LBs into coverage or occasional blitzes.

I'm only going by what they've said so I'm not trying to imagine them making draft picks that don't fit the scheme they say they're gonna run. Ratliff is a guy whose the exactly type of NT they use or they would never have asked him back. Paea is also a good fit for this scheme. The Bears haven't used wide body DTs since the days of Jauron and that was to protect Urlacher so he could rush and roam. We haven't played that way since then and there's nothing that been said to indicate we're making any wholesale changes to the scheme we've been running.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß

Emery has been Mr. Opposite and playing it close to the vest. Why tip your hand if there is a switch or integration of a 3-4 or anything else? We just saw a stealth move with DLP. Why shouldn't we expect perhaps some much needed DIS-information?
  5. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    151ß
    The lady doth protest too much methinks.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    except that Ratliff would play DT b/c that is what plays next to RDE, which is what Allen is. :10 5 135[1]:
    [​IMG]
    from a Matt Bowen B/R article, have I mentioned since he took over their stuff has gotten better?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1999358-nfl-101-the-basics-of-the-4-3-defensive-front

Peppers was the RDE and played next to Melton, I see no reason to think the team isn't going to play an under front again this year, and that means Allen, Rattliff at DT, Paea and Houston will be how they line up.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    alright so listening to what Emery is saying looks like NT is the need.