jarius byrd no tag

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Smoking Jay, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Very interesting that byrd did not get the tag. What do you guys think would we seriously have the money to get him and of course safety is an issue but do we spend big money there. rumor is on bills forum is that we are pursuing hard as well as the fudge packers
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    We're not even sure if we have enough money to go after Michael Bennett, so I guess Byrd, who wants big bucks, is even less likely to come to Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    we have enough money for 2 big catches, no doubt about it
    • Like Like x 1
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    if everything goes according to plans we will sign 2 very good D players, 1 DE and another S, CB or LB, p robably S. defense can be brought together faster than O. we could be all set in about 15 months from now, and our O will be even better then
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I agree with miljan. I know we have a lot of roster spots to fill with the cap space we have, but I also believe that our FO has developed a plan that has been in the works since last year; which is exactly why we have so many FA's. All the one year contracts we signed last year, the most recent contracts we have signed this year (the way they were structured); everything points to a single idea, and that is "flexibility". One of us can say "we can't afford this guy" or "we can go after those guys", both can be right, because the way the FO has prepared for this off season has been all about flexibility. That flexibility gives us opportunity to sign a guy if the money is right, or walk away and save space for next year when we may have someone else on the radar.

If we want a couple of guys for whateverthehell defense we may be planning this year, I DO think we CAN go get them; it will just depend on how much wiggle room we want to save for the future.

I think this FA period is going to be the most exciting we've seen in years, because none of us really knows how much money we are willing to spend or even what type of Defensive plans we REALLY have in the works. In the past we pretty much knew where our weaknesses were in a "Tampa-2, 4-3" and how much money we had to spend. This year, we have reports that we are going to stick with a 4-3, but we really don't know if that's true, because we have enough scattered tea leaves to suggest we are going to try to run a hybrid. This is precisely why I haven't even tried to do a mock draft of my own yet, simply because I assume FA will give us a few answers.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    C'mon march 11
    • Like Like x 3
  7. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Let me clarify that by saying "exciting" doesn't mean I believe we are going to go "all in" on every stud D player in FA. I simply mean that everything is so unpredictable; even more so than in the past. However, I do not think we will be sitting on our hands this year, of that I am pretty sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß

Well said 4Da & it can't get here soon enough!
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,703 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,227ß
    I'm so tired of this Illinois winter. I'm looking forward to training camp this year. I can't wait to sit on that grassy hill overlooking the practice fields. Nice summer breeze & all the hope in the world for a great season......life is always good at that point. Seriously, I'm not joking here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  10. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Ah yes, shortly after (a month or so) the Cubs are eliminated, we all get to change our sights to our true love.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Man I hear ya brother. This one has been brutal.

Here's my problem. I was a teenager when I remember my first bad winter like this in 1978. Then there was about a 6 or 7 year cycle of bad winters. At least that's what my memory of the time is. I hope this isnt the start of another damn cycle like that.:badmood:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    You just got spoiled with the last several winters. Been really mild. I moved away from IL in Nov. Seems to have been perfect timing. :7_4_14[1]:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Emery can afford Byrd if that's who he wants. From the way it's looking today he may not get the DE he'd like to have and he can get DTs in the 1st round of the draft to replace Melton if Melton expects more than he's willing to give so Byrd is the best FA period and we need a Safety. That's not much of a leap to make. The only issue is whether or not he'll prefer to play for his old coach in Cleveland vs playing here.

We needs a good vet Safety in FA and Byrd, Ward and Whitner rank 1,2,3 so we should be able to sign one of them and then draft another.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BearJim

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I agree 99. It's even been very cold with several storms down here in NC. It was a wind chill of 9 here this morning. I know it's colder up in Bear land but that's crazy cold in NC bro'! I moved down here in 82' from Indiana & I don't remember a worse winter than this year.

Training camp will be here before ya know it though & beong there would be great! Enjoy it my friend.
  15. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    ...I don't like you... :)
  16. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Please don't take this the wrong way Jim, cuz you are a great guy; but I have a brother that lives down there who always rubs it in as far as the weather goes. As a result, there is a little bit of joy that I glean from the statement you make above.;)
  17. BearJim

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I understand my friend. The funny thing is I used to call up my brothers in Indy on those rare occasions when we did get a good snow & brag about it. What the hell was I thinking? I may have to move further south!
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,703 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,227ß
    Our family is already planning on spending extra days at camp this year. I have the first week off of work and we hope to be there a lot. I can't wait.
  19. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Sounds good, we'll go ahead and load up, then swing east and pick you up on the way to the Keys. What are we waiting for...oh...yea, that whole job/career thing...damn!
  20. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Sounds good. I may talk to the fam and see if they have any interest. I know the boy will jump at it.