Jay Cutler says he was just following what coaches outlined vs. Dolphins

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Oct 24, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Jay Cutler says he was just following what coaches outlined vs. Dolphins

BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter October 23, 2014 10:50PM

[​IMG]

[BCOLOR=#f1f1f1]Updated: October 24, 2014 10:40AM[/BCOLOR]

Jay Cutler defended his checks, then answered a checklist of questions — about Brandon Marshall and leadership, comments from ex-teammates and his own radio silence — midway through the most tumultuous week of the Bears’ season.
    Cutler said he made the right decisions when changing plays from runs to passes in the 27-14 loss Sunday to the Dolphins, even though he handed the ball off only two times in the first half.
    He changed two runs to passes and decided to throw on two more run/pass options. One, a deep incompletion to Alshon Jeffery on third-and-one, stalled the Bears’ first drive and seemed to mire them in a funk that lasted the first half.
    Cutler, though, said he simply did what he was coached to do all week by Marc Trestman and coordinator Aaron Kromer.
    “It’s not like we’re up there freelancing just because we feel like we want to pass or we want to run,” Cutler said Thursday at Halas Hall. “If we’ve got a check, we’re checking because, in meetings, coach Trestman or ‘Krome’ said, ‘Hey, this is what we want to check to. This is why we want to check the play,’ and that’s what happens.”
    Cutler said the Dolphins’ front — eight men at times — and coverage dictated what the Bears were able to do. The Bears can run against eight-man fronts, he said, but decisions are “a lot on the play-caller.”
    The Bears removed many of the checks at halftime, though Trestman said it wasn’t to handcuff Cutler. On the first drive of the second half — the Bears’ most successful — Cutler handed the ball off to Matt Forte seven times, and Forte scored on a 10-yard pass play.
    That “goes back to Kromer and ‘Tress’ and kind of where they want to dictate the offense to go,” Cutler said.
    “In that third quarter, we got helped with some of the play-calling a little bit,” he said. “And we were able to just run the ball and get a little bit of momentum going.”
    Whether that means more of Forte this Sunday depends on what the Patriots do, Cutler said. He said the Bears must run if the Patriots drop into zone coverage, a common tactic used this year to stymie Cutler’s offense.
    “We’ve just got to make sure that whatever they’re doing defensively, whatever they’re giving us, we take,” he said.
    Cutler spoke of getting over a “Monday/Tuesday slump” that, this week, was exacerbated by his no-show for his own radio program — he said his son had a doctor’s appointment — and the aftermath of Marshall’s screaming in the locker room.
    “[Marshall] didn’t come near me,” Cutler said. “He didn’t say my name. I don’t think he attacked anyone personally with what he was saying.”
    He said Marshall wasn’t the only one yelling — just the one that reporters heard.
    “Whenever he gets frustrated, he’s going to get emotional most of the time,” Cutler said. “He’s going to speak from the heart, and he’s going to make sure that everyone else around him hears him.
    “So it wasn’t anything that caught us off-guard or was off-putting.”
    Cutler claimed, too, that he wasn’t bothered by former teammate Brian Urlacher saying he was an elite quarterback in price tag only and rebuffed any notion that Bears coaches were hesitant to criticize him in public.
    Asked whether he felt he has improved this year, Cutler demurred.
    “Anytime you lose a bunch of games, you’re going to be under scrutiny,” he said. “It’s going to be tough. It’s not going to look like how you wanted it to look going into the season.
    “So coaches and quarterbacks are judged on their records, on wins and losses. And right now, we’re behind the eight ball in that category.”
    Email: pfinley@suntimes.com

2. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Jay needs to quit trying to spread it around and just say - " I need to play better " .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Sad truth about Jay is he's NOT A LEADER OF MEN."I was following..." if he's in your fox hole the best thing he can do for you is step in a big pile of shit :10 2 7[1]:... players will never follow him no matter what bullshit they try to tell you about his leadership.

4. kevperro

kevperro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yea... leader of men right there. A guy willing to stand up and take responsibility.

Sorry.... I'm so done with Cutler that I'm no longer objective. I used to defend him. I was ecstatic when we traded for him. I remember that day. Never again will I get excited for a QB with a "cannon arm".

I feel like a kid who finally found out that his favorite toy as a kid was painted with lead and I'm showing signs of lead poisoning.

5. tbear1

tbear1
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

He forgot to mention that he was coached to stare down his receiver......I believe that interview as much as Emery's claim that being above .500 is elite.

6. kevperro

kevperro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Fuckler is so pathetic. The more Trestman, Emery or Marshall feed me lines about how "elite" he is, the sicker I get. Come on... just avoid the subject. I know they cannot dump on him in the middle of the season but don't blow smoke up our butts.

7. Warlock

Warlock
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

He's right though, that's how football works... you have these things called checks... they allow you to be flexible if the other team does something different. To illustrate, you call a play before you get to see what formation the opposing team lines up in (obviously some formations and playcalls are very weak and/or ineffective against certain formations)... so you give your players rules to follow when they see certain things.

For instance, you might call a stunt, but if the offense comes out in a look that is effective against your stunt, your players should know to call it off. These are the type of things that you cannot change in the heat of the moment by yelling at players from the sidelines. Like in the defense that I use for my team, we have a specific defense for trips packages, one that trumps any other play-call... the player's responsibilities and alignments change a lot when they see the opposing team line up in trips... because there's so many changes to the defense, this is not something that I can fix from the sidelines before the ball is snapped. This is why preparation is so crucial, you need to know what your opponent will throw at you and be ready to counter it in your gameplan.

The Bears' coaches are consistently getting out-coached... players aren't being properly prepared, the gameplans suck and the adjustments during the game are ineffective at best. This is the NFL and the coaches being so ill-prepared is completely unacceptable... this is why you're starting to see dissention in the player ranks... the players are getting frustrated because they're doing everything that is asked of them (schematically speaking) and it simply isn't effective.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

yup. That has been my thinking also. It is also why Cutler threw Trestman under the bus.

However, I do put a lot of blame on Cutler for our losses, and whether or not he was following the coaches direction, saying so like he did publicly was not a very good move IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tbear1

tbear1
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I agree that we are getting out coached on both sides of the ball. If the rumors are true that they limited Jays audible options in the second half, its an indication he wasn't making the correct choices as the coaches intended.

I don't understand your comment on players frustration. Marshall's rant was about mistakes and ball protection. That is not directed at the staff.

10. Warlock

Warlock
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

They didn't remove his ability to audible, they removed many of the ineffective checks... this allowed the playcalling to be less reliant on what the Dolphins were showing. There's no correct or incorrect choices with checks... if your opponent shows you something, you check to whatever the gameplan calls for against said look. This is the game that defenses play vs offenses, giving false looks to try and confuse the offense (e.g. the "mug").

As far as Marshall's comments... that's your interpretation of it... I read it as something else. For instance, ball protection has a lot to do with play selection and so does utilizing talent. Both are issues that Marshall complained about, but he didn't mention specifics as to why the issues were happening.

"Same mistakes, same mistakes, same mistakes from the same damn people," Marshall said. "We've got to protect the football. We've got to protect the football. We've got to execute the game plan. We've got to adjust when things don't go as we saw on the film..."

This could be aimed at Culer or it could be aimed at the coaches. It all depends on context... is he speaking about execution or strategy? If it's execution, then he's probably referring to Cutler, but if it's strategy then he's probably talking about the coaches... maybe he's talking about both though.