Jay Takes Over, It's His Team Now..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    A “Different” Jay Cutler Ready To Thrive In The Chicago Bears Offense

by Jordan Campbell 1h ago

While speaking with reporters after practice on Tuesday, Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer spoke at length about the difference that the team sees in quarterback Jay Cutler this season.

“I think everyone in the building has noticed a difference in Jay,” Kromer said. “None of us knew Jay very well before getting here last year, and we worked through the year and that first year is always hard on everybody. But what I see in Jay Cutler right now is a guy that’s the leading the group; a guy that is approachable, and is working to make everybody better because he realizes it’s important that everybody is on the same page with him.” -Aaron Kromer, ESPN Chicago
    Cutler’s transformation began last season. Last season, Cutler grew as a leader. No longer was Cutler the type of quarterback that would shove his offensive lineman, instead, Cutler was a quarterback that acted as an assistant coach when he was not on the field. While Josh McCown was playing in place of an injured Cutler last season, Cutler would often be seen right beside Bears’ head coach Marc Trestman.
    Entering his second season under Trestman, Cutler has become a perfectionist at the offensive scheme that the Bears run. Cutler’s knowledge of the Bears’ offense is also what has helped the quarterback emerge as a leader.

“He’s talked with receivers. He’s talked with linemen. He’s working with running backs constantly,” Kromer said. “That’s a maturity on his part of knowing the offense, knowing what we want as coaches and feeling good about being the leader that he is. It’s been a very good start of the year that way.” -Kromer, ESPN Chicago
    If Cutler remains healthy for the entire season, then the quarterback is poised to have a career year.
    Early in training camp, Cutler was mentioned as a sleeper candidate to win the NFL MVP this season. Such an achievement is attainable for Cutler if he, along with the Bears’ offense, can have the same success in the regular season that the they are having in the pre-season.

The Bears’ offense has been the top offense in the NFL through the first two games of the pre-season, and that is a good start for a team that led the NFC in scoring last season with 27.8 points per game.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    More good news on the offensive front so when do we start hearing Tucker and DeCamillis start talking about their leaders and what they hope to accomplish?

It looks to me like the time and effort invested in Cutler is finally beginning to pay off. He's maturing as a person and maturing as a player. This should be about the time when a "gunslinger" reins it in a bit and becomes a different and more consistent passer.

Should be fun to watch this offense this year for a change.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    I didn't know that. Even though it's PS, it's still cool.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    I didn't know that either, and I thought I had just read something about a slow start. I personally did not think they were all that dynamic on O compared to last year. If they are the best so far then all the other teams must be trying to get their legs underneath them too.

Makes me feel a whole let better for sure.
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I was skeptical when we signed the contract with Jay late last year. I think it is awesome he is maturing and stepping up his game. If he continues to deliver, we can build a SB capable team. (We still didn't get a home town discount, but if he brings us a Lombardi trophy I'll over look that.)

Now we need the offensive line to keep Jay healthy.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    It was a top ten deal and maybe even top five but he's in that category talent wise. Besides when you look at the guarantees and the flexibility that was built into it really is pretty team friendly.

In my mind he deserved but he still needs to go out and earn it with a championship run or three.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +744 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    732ß
    I am excited to see him in the same offense for the 2nd year in a row with same coaches. This is big in my opinion. This is the first time since he left Denver Cutler has had a good coach and the same offense.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Top offense, botton defense in preseason.. Does it also remind you guys of something else? lol
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    Dude, we aren't the bottom defense in the NFL this preseason. I don't know where this rumor originated or how it's been propagated, but it's false. For the second time, these are our defensive rankings:

NFL.com has them ranked as follows:
    Total Defense (YPG) 23/32
    Pass Defense (YPG) 29/32
    Rush Defense (YPG) 5/32

Profootballfocus has them ranked:
    Overall Defense: 17/32 (-3.2 grade)
    (FYI #16 is the Seattle Seahawks with a grade of -2.9).
    Run Defense: 8/32 (+11.3)
    Pass Rush: 32/32
    Pass Conversions: 2/32 (+3.4)
    Penalties: 31/32 (-8.0)

The Eagles are the last place defense (which may change tonight -8/21/2014) in the NFL this preseason which should be relatively obvious since we put up 34 points on them and the Patriots, the very next week, put up 42 points on them.

We also aren't, at least according to NFL.com, the #1 offense at this juncture. We're #2.

I think the most important note is who gives a fuck about the preseason team rankings. They are meaningless. The preseason is the preseason. It's a time to get players reps., whittle down your roster, and determine who your starters and back-ups are going to be.

I've looked at all the preseason/regular season defensive/offensive/special teams rankings and have failed to find ANY correlation. As much as we want to believe that these numbers matter, they just don't. History has shown that over and over again with the Chicago Bears, with the Green Bay Packers, the New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, New Englands Patriots- with every team in the NFL.

I think it's cool to chat about the preseason, I love the preseason. I'm an NFL geek who watches each Bears preseason game 3-5 times, but team stats are meaningless mainly because there are so many different players on the field. Our 1's might go against their 1's for 1 qtr the first game , and then we switch out and our 1's go against their 2's on defense for 1 series and then our 2's go against their 3's for one quarter and then backups are rotated in and some 2/3's are going against their 3's or 2's or 1's. It's a cluster fuck of movement to get reads on individual players who are defending or attacking against different caliber of players and in different situations.

It's more important to look at player performance (not necessarily statistical, although I would say that player stats in the preseason have more correlation to regular season stats than whole team stats) to get a read on individuals OR defensive sub units (DL, DBs, LBs, etc).

I'm don't want to change the conversation, say whatever you want about the Bears, but I do want to make sure that untrue information doesn't get circulated and the Bears defense being last statistically this preseason is untrue.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +663 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    355ß
    Don't worry about it, people with Devin Hester still with the Bears are in lala land.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    Devins gone?!
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß

Yep, and he made the Pro Bowl his second year in that offense before the shit hit the fan out here. :10 2 12[1]:
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß

I don't disagree with you in principal but as I watch certain players and certain plays I'm still seeing trouble ahead unless we can get it fixed. Tomorrow night will be a good litmus test of just how far that defense has come. We struggled like hell to combat that read option offense of theirs last time we played them so this should tell us something.
  14. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Ty for clearing the misunderstanding Bellyiot.
  15. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Do the McCaskey's know it's Jay's team now?????

j/k. Glad he's stepping up, but not surprised. I think a lot of this is still media driven crap. Most people still hate him but they can't overlook the talent anymore, and more people are starting to jump on the good Jay bandwagon. Frankly, I liked it better when everybody hated him, it was more fun.