Jermichael Finley?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by beardownzona, Jun 3, 2014.

1. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Take a risk? I don't see why not. Yes teams are cautious and he did have a horrific injury, but he could come in and compete for the #2 TE position. Also seems like a better option than Rosario and Onobun. It'll just be another slap in the cheeseheads' face.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    482ß
    It has to make financial sense for him though. He's a got a 10 million dollar insurance policy that kicks in if he can never play again. Something to think about for sure.
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    In a word ....... NO !
    Way too inconsistent and a lot of drops even with Rogers throwing to him. I'll pass.
    :18 1 205:
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    That insurance policy is really a kicker.

Not sure if he will even try to play for less guaranteed money than the insurance policy. I would love to have him but a lot depends on the contract. He needs to prove he can play again and I am scared it is going to cost a team the amount of the insurance policy to find out. Probably why the Packers signed the guy I really wanted in Colt Lyerla. (rumor has it he is doing well by the way in there OTA's from what I have read).

I guess I would like to have him but the insurance policy may be prohibitive unless we can work around that somehow. I am presuming Finley will atleast want to make the money he can make for doing nothing.
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    No to Finley. If there's going to be a reasonably priced "roll the dice" move I'd vote to go after Blackmon at WR.
  6. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Blackmon is good, but he's just like Josh Gordon... dumbasses always running into trouble with the law. We do not need a #3 receiver, Wilson has a lot of upside and potential. But as you guys stated and made a great point about the the insurance policy, I would rather take a pass now and hope for Fendi to pan out during these OTAs and training camp.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    482ß
    Blackmon is still on the Jaguars and they have no plans of releasing him....plus he's suspended for the whole year.
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    IIRC there was talk that they were looking to unload him. Just conjecturing on a "gamble". If Marshall could effect Blackmon like he seemingly has the other WR esp. with a year off to right himself.

Just a thought
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Blackmon doesnt seem to make a lot of sense to me. We have a 2 young guns in AJ and M Wilson. BMarsh is extended and C. Williams appears to be the kick returner and punt returner. Weems is the other returner and Tolliver is young with size and speed. Thats 6 WR, 2 of which handle the return job. That helps open other positions on the team if we do not need to hold a spot like for Hester as a STeams guy.

I do not see any benefit to signing Blackmon and it is not an area of need.
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Finley = :thumbsdown:

He's not the player he was or teams would have been jumping all over him by now. The Packers are rumored to have made an offer or at least a tentative one and he doesn't seem interested in any kind of "prove it deal". Besides he's not the same kind of all around TE Bennett is he's more the Jimmy Graham type .

If the guy was willing to come in an compete with nothing more the a vet minimum offer on the table I'd say go ahead and kick his tires but I'm sure that's not where his head is. Another issue is that he'd still have to pass a physical and he may not even be able to do that. If he does and is injured again we have squat. We have our own Finely now and a better version so we don't need this one.

Blackmon would be an even worse option right now. We have great chemistry among the receiving core right now why mess that up with either of these guys?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +911 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    If only Onobun could step up and play like a real TE. He definitely got the size and the strength for it, now he just need to catch the damn ball and remember the correct routes.
  12. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I would take a chance on Dustin Keller over Jermichael Finley.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Same, I'd be okay with Keller. I'm fairly certain his problems are injury correct? Rather than Finley with his horrific drops and being injury prone.
  14. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Finley suffered a season-ending neck injury last year. One in which he may never play again. He was injury-prone and drop-prone even before that.

Keller blew out his knee in the preseason with the Dolphins where he tore his ACL, MCL, and dislocated his knee. But he's more likely to come back than Finley.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    482ß
    The clock is stopped on Justin Blackmon's contract while he's suspended.
    It's one of the many reasons the Jaguars would be silly to cut Blackmon even though he's violated the league's substance abuse policy three times. He's not taking up a roster spot, they don't have to pay his salary and they'll have him under club control cheaply for three seasons if he ever does get reinstated. Blackmon is not expected to see the field until 2015 at the earliest.

Source: ESPN.com
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    None of the low-risk/high-reward players that are available are even worth the low risk, other than MAYBE Will Hill, but that guy is about as dumb as it gets. Honestly he is the ONLY FA that should interest us, because if he can stay out of trouble, he would provide an amazing talent at FS that, in addition to all of the other players we got, we wouldn't have dreamed of getting otherwise
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I can't figure out what there is about Finley that gets anyone excited anymore. The guy is attempting a comeback from a very serious injury and no team has even cleared him to play despite what his docs have said. In addition to his other issues he's a huge medical risk.

He's clearly trading on a track record that's ancient history right now and even when he was productive he was a hot dog who dropped as many as he caught even with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. He was slipping even before he got injured. He's not looking to come in for a vet minimum to be Bennett backup boy because he can probably do better than that by not playing.

I swear I don't get it. Someone explain to me why you personally have such a hard on for Finley when we have a guy whose better in every way plus two of the top WRs in the NFL and a young up and coming WR to add to that mix. We've also got one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. If we didn't have all of that then maybe we have a dire need for the guy but as it stands we don't.

We still have a Finley type in the mix in Onobun and we have no idea where he's at in his development just yet. If he still can't cut it then by September I'm sure we'll have located a decent backup for Bennett. Treating Finley like he's some kind of shiny new car we just have to have is stupid. We don't. If he not 100% we can't use him and if he is he gonna expect to do more than sit on the bench waiting his shot so we can't use him that way either. It's a waste of resources.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I see Finley as a #2 TE. I do not see him replacing Bennett unless an injury. I like the idea of a 2 TE set and believe Finley would be a threat down the middle. Finley is proven, yes he drops some balls but he also catches a lot of them. The only comparison we have on the current roster is Bennett, who I like more than Finley. Onobon is not Finley. Onobun has no NFL starts, under his belt. I would like to say he has 0 catches but did not look it up, needless to say if Onobun has any catches it is minimal. Finley burned the Bears many times as the Packers TE, think his longest play at 65 yards or something came against us.

I do not know that he will get medical clearance by a team or not, but I believe he is worth checking out. I heard Seattle, I believe checked him out and afterward decided he was not worth an investment resulting from the injury. Thus I suspect many teams will not sign him and the Bears may be one, I just believe it is free to look and if he can be medically cleared by team doctors he is better and more proven than all but Bennett.

Who on the team outside of Bennett do you believe is equal to Finley, because Onobun has never made an NFL roster and Finley has started and made the Pro Bowl. Potential will get you fired, and potential is the great white hope in Onobun's case.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +911 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    I agree with you, Soul. At this point I'd rather give Onobun another opportunity to prove himself than signing an injury and drops prone veteran.

As I've already stated in another thread, if Onobun could step up we would have a powerful receiving corps. We need Bennett and Onobun to play like Gronk/Hernandez in 2011.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I understand what you're saying brother but my point about Finley is all of these attributes folks want to give him are all past tense. There is no assurance that he's even close to being the player he once was and even that player at his best still had some serious holes in his game. Just ask a few Packer fans who finally got frustrated with his inconsistencies and lack of desire to block.

When his contract came up for an extension, like Jimmy Graham, he wanted to be tagged as a WR because of how often he lined up there. Finley is all about Finley and he see himself as a pass catcher not in inline TE. Bennett is very good at both and while he may not be as exceptional at either as some guys he's that combination guy we need because we do expect our receivers to be competent blockers. Finley isn't and what's more he doesn't care to be especially not with a neck injury that nearly ended his career.

I realize we're still stuck waiting for Onobun to show that he's ready to play in the NFL but we'd have faced the exact same thing with any rookie as well including the also popular Lyerla whose another guy I'd be happy to avoid. Phil Emery does draft and sign guys who are less than choir boys but he's avoided these two like the plague. There has to be a reason for that. Of the players currently on the roster Onobun is the closest we have to being a complete package TE like Bennett. He either makes it this year or his career is over so he has a pretty strong motivation to get his shit together.

If we don't hear much about him in OTA or later in camp then I'll assume that he not cutting it and that Emery will begin to look outside of the team for other solutions. Maybe by then the Finely deal will have become more clear but either Emery isn't interested in him period or Finely isn't ready to play physically or Finley won't agree to play for an amount we can live with. Emery has signed quite a few guys to one year "prove yourself" deal when and where he believed a guy could help. That fact that this hasn't happened with Finley should tell us something.

That's my take on it.