Jimmy Clausen excelled in Monday’s practice - arm strength and accuracy

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jul 28, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    It's sure sounding like Clausen was a great pickup for the Bears this off-season. More and more it's looking like this is our #2 QB.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I have always thought Clausen would end up our number two. Of course Emery and Trestman are going to say that going into camp Palmer is the number two but a few more days like this and it could change in a hurry.

Clausen is one Cutler injury away from having a chance to "McCown it" and do well enough in this system in order to get a 2nd chance at his career. I think that this pickup will help the Bears this year should cutler get hurt..again. It will help Clausen long term IMO as history says he will get a shot to show what he can do if he wins the number 2 job.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    All in all the more logical choice is Clausen as long as he can get enough of the offense down in this short a period of time to operate it well enough if he needs to. Learning the terminology is one thing and executing the plays is the other.

Can't wait to see how these guys do in the preseason games but Clausen is a guy I'd be pulling for to win that #2 spot. He's the right age to still have his career in front of him and talented enough to have starter potential once he's coached properly.

Deals like this leave me wondering just how many more pots Emery has stewing at any given moment in time since both Clausen and Wilson have to be thought of as somewhat of a surprise no one really saw coming. Like I said the guy must be one hell of a poker player.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    It's like he never stops searching for players that can upgrade our roster - even it it's an incrementally small upgrade, he's willing to bring them in. It's not just the blockbuster moves like Brandon Marshall, but also like bringing in a Jimmy Clausen, or even a CFL guy that most of us had never heard of like Chris Williams (or for that matter bringing in a CFL coach in Trestman). The guy is relentless 24/7 all year long leaving no stone unturned.

I agree with the posters in the other thread who mentioned that this Emery-factor is probably the one that will ultimately be most important in getting us a super bowl winning team. Emery has made some mistakes (they all do) but he's having an amazing run right now at hits rather than misses. It's exciting to see this all unfold.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RochBear

RochBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    Perhaps. I'd back Lady Luck for the #1 job. That can be a deflating sort of idea, but I think luck is more important than any other single factor. Injury luck is important. The lucky factors in the two NYG's championships seems an example to me. The long excellent run of the Patriots has had a lot of factors but I think that luck was the biggest part of drafting Brady in the 6th round (nobody knew Brady was *Brady*) and Brady is more important than Belichick's "genius." Not saying Emergy isn't critically important. He is and seems to be doing well. I hope he is lucky too.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    Those are excellent points, and I agree that luck is a key factor in a given season (short term). But I think great franchises (and their GM's/Coaches) make their own luck to a certain extent over the longer term. These franchises that experience success over longer periods of time seem to maximise winning in spite of their circumstances. The Patriots under Belichick got hammered with key injuries last year, yet they had a 12-win season and were Division Champions. This is what the better franchises do over the years when they have quality people leading them. They tend to win, even when they have "bad luck" and instead of whining and giving excuses - they tend to win anyway. Look at the 2010 Packers. They were decimated with key injuries - just killed with them - and they won the Super Bowl that year. This is what the better teams do.

I think (hope) that the Chicago Bears are going to be like this with
    George McCaskey, Phil Emery & Marc Trestman in place. If you have "bad luck" just kick it in the balls and win anyway. Winning instead of whining and making excuses.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    I believe a lot goes into being a perennial powerhouse like the Patriots have been, or the Colts, all the way back to the Niners in the 80's. It starts with the front office and having solid depth which begins with the FO and comes down to the coaches being able to coach up the younger guys to be able to fill in incase of injury and eventually take over the position. It takes some luck to keep key members of your team healthy. We actually were lucky last year with McCown, but very unlucky with the rash of injuries on defense. Everyone here knows the depth just was not there last year on Defense. Another quality these teams seem to have is a good QB and a system that remains intact year after year. Walsh with the niners and the WCO, Manning had Dungy as HC, but had the same OC and system for all those years with the Colts. Brady obviously has Belicheck.

Looking ahead Cutler and Trestman fit the immediate need and Trestman looks like a good long term answer, although it is only year 2. Offenses are much more complex to learn than a defense and with Trestman in charge the system should remain basically the same. As players get a few years in the system it should be good for all. Younger players will need to concentrate more on a single position and grow into multiple positions like the WR's while the older guys can cover multiple positions in time.

The front office seems to be in sync with the coaches and bringing in the types of players the coaches are asking for.. Still early in Emery's body of work as GM to give a solid grade, but he is well on his way to being a very productive GM in my eyes. Many promising draft picks and if Shea McClellin makes the transition to LB he will have solid drafts in the first 2 rounds each year which is where you count on your talent and hope you get good depth and some future starters later in the draft. Mills last year in rd 5 is an added bonus.

This year it looks like Phil may have hit the late rounds again with both Vereen and Carey. Round 1 CB Fuller is getting great press during camp and looking like a solid choice. So far in Rd 1 we have McClellin, K Long, and K Fuller. Time will tell but we appear to be building a team that will be a Powerhouse for years to come, much like the Patriots, Colts, and Niners before us. In RD 2 so far we have Jeffries, Bostic, and Ego Ferguson.

The Front office and Salary cap is also critical which is where the niners had a few bad years in there along with there owner Eddy DeBartolo being kicked out of the NFL. With Stein, Emery, and throw in President Ted Phillips we seem to be in good hands for the forseeable future. And we have an owner who seems involved and motivated to win.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +668 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    360ß
    Spoiler alert Clausen is the #2 QB. 1. Clausen has more upside potential for Trest to work with than Palmer 2. Clausen's arm looked better on the one little clip I saw with each getting on Chicago Bears web site in tc play. 3. We play the Bills 1st game Cutty should survive that game and #2 QB may even get play time in that game. The new D is going to beat the living shit out of the Bills if not then it's going to be a long season.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    I expected this all along. Think I said something when they signed him that I expected him to beat out Palmer. If Palmer is not careful he may be on the outside looking in real quick. Maybe they need an asst QB coach or something.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +668 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    360ß
    You forgot I'm also called 'captain obvious.'
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Well said! Hits the nail square on the head.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Yeah and you're not supposed to appear in public out of costume so here, put this on. :co obvious:

:rofl2::13 4 9[1]:
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    363ß
    And BSBEARS in seeing the WORST Defense in BEARS history,

the front office got off their asses and DID somthing about it!

Rather then the Angelo regime that saw OL as some afterthought and brought in Safety's as to be some kind of pet project to draft, where are they now ?

The Emery -Trestman double team had the balls to wake up the UPPER

front office that you boyz is doomed if you dont give the reins to us.

Result : DAY ONE : 2013

Thats one hell of an OFFENSE !

Where the hell did the DEFENSE go ?

Result: DAY TWO : 2014

Are you going to do somthing about the DEFENSE?

Leave that to us.
  14. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    You NEVER look past an opponent in the NFL. The Bills have a LOT of D talent, and some on the O as well. I do expect that we will win, but I highly doubt you will see the second string QB in the game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    363ß
    If we put 5 forward ...and you know who they are ...

keep the original OL back to start again ...

and keep sombody back at QB ...

what the fuck do you think our odds are ?

Defense? Well thats going to be a pisser isnt it ?

Because you now have more then you need.

ITS GOOD TO BE A CHICAGO BEARS FAN !

16. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +847 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    [​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Jordan Palmer vs. Jimmy Clausen
    After watching both veteran quarterbacks, I would give the early edge to Clausen.
    The former Notre Dame star hasn't been perfect, but he throws a cleaner ball than Palmer while also showing the ability to drive his throws through second-level windows.
    Plus, Clausen is willing to take some chances down the field to test the top of the defense.
    Looking at Palmer, his decision-making needs to be quicker in the pocket and I believe he can be much more aggressive by avoiding the check-down option to work the ball to his intermediate targets versus both zone and man defenses.
    Given that neither Clausen nor Palmer have thrown a pass since the 2010 season (with sixth-round rookie David Fales likely penciled in to the No. 3 role this year), the Bears could still add a veteran to solidify the No. 2 spot behind starter Jay Cutler.
    However, if the Bears don't go outside of the organization to address the backup job, the coaching staff's grades from the early exhibition schedule will be vital to filling out a depth chart that is anything but settled.
    displays a high-energy level during competitive one-on-one sessions and team drills; Houston is a clear upgrade for the defense.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-bowen-spt-0729-20140729,0,6025796.column
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +668 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    360ß
    Never look past your next opponent especially if they are weaker than you destroy them move on to next weeks opponent. That 2nd week will tell the truth as to the Bears standing in the pecking order of NFL teams and shine some light on the Bears possibility of SB appearance. Especially after week 1 when the pack play the the Seagulls. The pecking order is going to be established fast in NFC North by end of September. That's only 2 months away blows my mind.