Jimmy Graham a Bear in 2014?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Dan Pompeii speculated recently that if the Bears wanted to make one huge free agent splash this coming offseason, the one player they should go for is Saints TE Jimmy Graham.

I know this isn't going to happen. Not a chance. Not in a million years. But just for the fun of it, could you imagine a Bears offense that included Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennett, Forte, and Graham?

An offense with not one but two pass catching TEs in Graham and M. Bennett? Graham could also act like a big WR in the offense as well.

Defense is damaged but, be damned sign me up for Jimmy Graham! What do you think?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,291 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    First, I love Trestman's offense. We have not ever had an offense this stocked with talent as far as I can remember. And on top of that, I recently read that the Bears offense has moved up from 5th best points per game to 3rd best in the league. This with a BU QB. Granted, probably the best BU QB playing right now.

Now, if I knew more than Trestman about offense, I would be fielding phone calls all day from NFL teams wanting to throw millions at me to come work for them, but nonetheless, I am going to second guess a few things. I don't understand why we do not take advantage of the best RB backfield in the league. We rarely see the RB's used as much as I think they should. We are paying Bush big money and most of the time, we don't have him do anything.

Would this happen if we had a second TE? It might. I really am surprised at how little Bennett has been used. When they do target him, he has made a big difference, which makes not targeting him even a bigger surprise. I guess, if it's #3 in the league don't mess with it. I'd love to have another stud TE, but I'd want to make sure we really would use him before we pulled the trigger.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I could not agree more with everything you've said.

However I will say that with the amount of production were getting out of Bush, it might be better to just cut him in the offseason and allocate the money elsewhere.

Also the Bears offensive ranking is a little skewed because of all of the defensive TDs that we've scored which count towards the offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,671 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,857ß
    how could we possibly afford Graham, keep Cutler and then sign 20+ other players?

it would be an unstoppable O, but we wouldn't be able to field a team of 52 players.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I know it's highly unlikely if not impossible. Just fun to speculate on things that are being talked about in the mainstream media.

With that said, I don't think money would be as much of a problem as you think it might be.

Cutler isn't going to demand as much money as he would have if he had a better and less injury-riddled year in his walk year. Money will also be saved when Peppers is cut, Peanut isn't re-signed, and an "underutilized for the amount of cap space he takes up guy" like Michael Bush is cut.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,671 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,857ß
    We have 24 guys not under contract next year. it doesn't matter how many or how much money you have in cap, that is a lot of guys to fill the void, and you cannot just pull a 1-2 year 2 mil deal for all of them like they did this year.
  7. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    that would be great and would give us a great option more bur i feel that recievers are not our problem, so that would be too much cap money locked on 1 position
  8. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    To play Devils advocate, the cure for what ails a damaged defense that will no doubt have ton of player turnover in the offseason may be to stock the offense and score even more points.

How difficult would an offense with Graham, Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, and Martellus Bennett be to defend? Near impossible that's how difficult. If you have the chance to put together a better than elite offense, I say you find a way to do it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I hear what you're saying. And I agree. It would be difficult... But it's not completely impossible.

As a side note, count Earl Bennett 's salary as saved in 2014 too because he's gone after this year.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,671 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,857ß
    I know it's all in fun, but once something crazy like this starts up it gets a life of it's own.

IF the Bears COULD ge JG, it would lead to a near impossible O to stop. The Sheer size of BM/AJ/DaBU/JG w/Forte out of the backfield, there is not a back 7 that could keep up w/all of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He won't be unrestricted anyways. He'll at the very least get the tag for a year or two. After that, we would have a chance but only a small one.
  12. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Yeah to say it's a long shot is putting it lightly.

Still fun to talk about and who knows maybe Graham will find his way to the Bears especially considering his ties to Kromer.
  13. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Who knows? Brees could get hurt and be a shell of himself, which would prompt Jimmy to look for a new guy to throw to him. He'll probably look to be the highest paid tight end though.
  14. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
  15. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    446ß
    Yeah, definitely a long shot. But why not? If TBU gets a lingering injury, who do we have to step up? I sure would love a TBU/JG duo at TE. I dare any team to stop our offense with BM/AJ/xx and those two with Forte/whoever in the backfield.
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    It would be a devastating offense for sure. For me, I'd like to see more OL drafted or a FA at the center or LG spot so we could run the ball more effectively esp. up the middle.
  17. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,007 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,153ß
    No way in hell the Saints let go the NFL's best tight end.
  18. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Wait, Earl Bennett is still alive? I thought I heard the announcer call his name Sunday, but I assumed he meant to say "Martellus." Has Earl been on the team this whole time?
  19. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    It would be an unbelievable offense for sure & it's fun to think about but almost no chance of happening. I look for us to draft a TE or pickup a 2nd tier TE in FA. I just hope we beat the Rams this week.
  20. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    You didn't see that amazing catch for a 1 yard gain in last weeks game.