John Clayton: Camp injuries from too much off-season rest?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,085ß
    Well, everyone is wondering about all of the injuries this year, and this is Clayton's opinion on what might be causing them. Not sure I completely buy it, but would be interesting if actual doctors and researchers followed up on it, if true, could give the NFL some ammo for extending the season to 18 games.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I do not totally disagree with the analysis, but even he (Clayton) had to admit that there is no real statistical difference from last year, but just some bigger named players that may be brining attention to the injuries.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    allot of people say the same about pitchers and their injuries
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    I remember hearing how the old school coaches and camps basically said that training camp and pre season was there to get you "football ready" and the only way to do that was to get hit...wonder if this kind of falls into that same sentiment.
  5. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,852 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    I feel like as a professional athlete... if you loaf for 6-8 weeks before training camp... it's your own fault, and you deserve it, if you get hurt as a result. These teams are investing a ridiculous amount of money in these people. The least they can do is stay in shape during the offseason. Not saying that this is the case for anyone on the Bears this year... but nothing is more frustrating than hearing about a player showing up to training camp overweight or looking soft. I mean, come on...
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We have a lot of injuries taking place every year. And there are a lot of reasons for them, not just a single one. Some guys just have the misfortune of being at the wrong place and wrong time. A guy misplants a foot or twists a knee a certain way because they slip. Other guys may not be coming in prepared to go full throttle when camp opens up. Rest is a good thing, not a bad thing. There are just so many variables as to why guys get hurt. Also, social media just makes people in general more aware of injuries that happen. And a lot of the guys going down with injuries aren't even notable players. Get back to Mr. D. when you have All Pros dropping left and right.
  7. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,852 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    You should change your name to Cpt. Obvious.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    He should change his name to:

BANNED!
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Lovie Smith, correct me if I'm wrong, only had a weight for players, not a conditioning, to see if they were actually keeping in shape, which is why 3rd round picks like Marcus Harrison ate himself out of Training Camp.