Josh Freeman visiting Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Heard it on 670 as well as the Chicago Bears official app. Says hes coming in for a visit but not much else. Thoughts?
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    He has done enough good things to be a back-up.

Why not.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Real question is probably the price. How does he value what he has done vs how the bears do?
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Read a headline that said they weren't interested but then no story. Just linked back to the one that he was coming in. I'll see if anything more turns up but if they were serious than they would have probably offered him a contract.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Nothing more than vet min, non guaranteed Phil. Otherwise, walk away
  6. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    This kind of offense requires the ability to put touch on the ball. Freeman doesn't have that ability.

It can't be taught. Even by Trestman.
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4691479/source-qb-josh-freeman-visits-bears

Source: QB Josh Freeman visits Bears

CHICAGO -- Free-agent quarterbacks Josh Freeman and Adam Weber visited the Chicago Bears on Monday, a source with direct knowledge of the situation confirmed.

UPDATE: Freeman worked out for the club, but the Bears do not plan to sign him, according to a source familiar with the decision.

The Bears also worked out tight end Matthew Mulligan, per a league source.

The Bears are in the market for a reserve quarterback after Josh McCown signed a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency. The club brought back veteran Jordan Palmer on a one-year contract on March 9, but general manager Phil Emery told reporters at a recent news conference the Bears would investigate the available free-agent class of quarterbacks.

Freeman entered the NFL in 2009 as a first-round draft choice of the Bucs (No. 17 overall). The 6-foot-6 Freeman started 56 games over his first four seasons in Tampa, throwing a career-high 27 touchdowns in 2012. But Freeman’s best year occurred in 2010 when he posted a 95.9 quarterback rating after tossing 25 touchdown passes to just six interceptions.

However, Freeman fell out of favor with the Bucs and former head coach Greg Schiano and was released on Oct. 3, 2013. Freeman eventually signed with the Minnesota Vikings but started only one game, going 20-of-53 for 190 yards, zero touchdowns and one interception.

Weber signed with the Denver Broncos as an undrafted rookie free agent out of the University of Minnesota in 2011. He also spent time on the Bucs' practice squad.

Mulligan has made 24 starts since entering the NFL in 2009. He played for the New England Patriots last year after previous stops with the Rams and Jets.

--------------------

I'd rather draft a rookie QB in the fourth, someone without attitude and teammate issues. Pass.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,070 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    Cutler doesn't exactly have "touch" either. It's one of the reasons he doesn't throw a WR open.

Of the crapfest that is vet backups this year he's the only one I'd be willing to take a flyer on, but if the team doesn't think it'd work then so be it. I'm actually hoping they are comfortable enough w/Palmer this year and it's pretty much over with.
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Palmer has experience in the system, and I have enough confidence in Trestman to get him prepared to be the back-up.

Emery is looking for his 3rd, so if Cutler goes down he will have some depth because Palmer is not going anywhere this year and he could serve as the back-up.

I thought Palmer looked better than McCown last year in Preseason.
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I agree with the underlined. Give me Mettenberger, McCarron, Thomas, Murray
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled massed yearning to breathe free.

I think that was either Angelo's drafting strategy or it's the inscription on the Statue of Liberty. I seem to have forgotten which.
  12. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    He could be this years version of Palmer, ie. the guy to bring in if one of your 3 QBs are injured. I presume we fill the 3rd spot with either a late round draft pick or UDFA.
  13. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    He could be this years version of Palmer, ie. the guy to bring in if one of your 3 QBs are injured. I presume we fill the 3rd spot with either a late round draft pick or UDFA.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    That's possible but me thinks he looking for bigger pay day right now and a place where he may get a shot at staring if a #1 fails. He hasn't been surrounded by as much offensive talent as the Bears have nor had the benefit of some good coaching and time to prepare for his spot as a starter so he may have some upside but we're not really in a position to take that chance right now.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    No, it's definitely not Angelo's drafting strategy. He used to use the Mount Rushmore strategy (the four busts)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß

No team in the NFC North has a worse QB situation than the Vikings. Freeman wasn't good enough to stick there.

I'd pass.