Josh Morgan To Start At #3 WR Position On Friday..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    Josh Morgan To Start As No. 3 WR For The Chicago Bears On Friday

by Jordan Campbell 1h ago

Despite the fact that the team signed veteran wide receiver Santonio Holmes over the weekend, Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman told reporters on Monday that Josh Morgan will have the first opportunity at working as the Bears’ No. 3 wide receiver.

“It’s still wide open,” Trestman said of the club’s search for a No. 3 receiver. “In terms of how we’re doing it, Josh Morgan will get some work this week. We’ll see where the other guys are as we move through the end of the week, but Josh will get the first shot at it as we work into this week’s practice and as we work into the game.” -Marc Trestman, ESPN Chicago

Morgan has quietly gone about his business during the Pre-Season with the Bears. The former Washington Redskin was the team leader in receiving yards in the Bears’ game against the Jacksonville Jaguars last Thursday.

Holmes, who still needs to learn the Bears’ offensive scheme, likely will not be a major factor in the Bears’ game on Friday against the Seattle Seahawks. With Holmes still learning the offense, that creates the opportunity for Morgan to have the first shot at the Bears’ slot receiver position this week. Morgan believes he is an ideal fit for what the Bears are looking for out of a slot receiver.

“If you need me to go down there and block a 330-pound defensive end, that’s what I used to do a lot with the Redskins,” Morgan said during training camp. “If you need me to be a big major part in the running game like I was in San Francisco for Frank Gore, I did all those types of things throughout my career. If you need me to make the big play or the tough catch — the catch in traffic or the catch across the middle — I think if you watch film of me over the years, I think I’ve done all of that.”-Josh Morgan, ESPN Chicago
    Morgan, who was quickly discredited at the start of training camp, has emerged as a legitimate option to replace the injured Marquess Wilson‘s spot in the Bears offense. If Morgan thrives against the Seahawks on Friday, then the veteran likely will have a firm grasp on a roster spot.

It’s important to note that Morgan making the roster would not preclude Holmes from making the roster.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    Good for him, even if Holmes comes in and takes the 3 job, it's going to be a few weeks(imo) to get up to speed w/the playbook, which means a week or so into the regular season before he's really up to speed.

I'm rooting for Morgan, he's looked pretty solid so far.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BillSwerskey54

BillSwerskey54 Newbie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think we might as well give him a shot. He's a vet with a decent track record of playing in the NFL and has shwon some flashes of being a decently productive player. With Alshon and B-Marsh all we need is a competent WR that can play the slot.
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I think this is a good move as I was impressed with what Morgan brought to the table so far. Gives Holmes time to catch up as well. Great for depth at least.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +286 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    I really like this 29 year old's chances of being our #3 receiver. He's stood out to me as one of the best offensive players during pre-season (which doesn't include Marshall, Jeffery, Cutler, Bennett, etc). The only players who've outperformed him on offense this pre-season are Shaun Draughn and Zach Miller.

He's one of our bigger bodied WR competing for a spot (with the exception of Moss and Herd who are both doubtful to make the team). If he becomes the 3rd receiver that would mean we have a 6'4" 230 lber (Marshall), a 6'3" 216lber (Jeffery) and a 6'1" 220 lber (Morgan). This pre-season he's shown a willingness to secure the edge on running plays, block down field, and receive. As he stated when interviewed by ESPN Chicago
    He has a desire to play the game, the skills to play the game, and the experience to play the game in many different roles (including as a Steamer).
    This preseason alone he’s been thrown to 5 times completing 100% of those receptions yielding him an average of 15.4 yards per catch. With Washington last year he was targeted 31 times and recorded 64.5% of those passes. Maybe his best number last year came in the run blocking game. While rankings don't paint a complete picture, Pro Football Focus graded Josh Morgan at a +4.0 in blocking. Given our current woes with creating holes for Forte, we can use every extra ounce of man muscle we can get to create space. For perspective, there were only 12 receivers players graded equal to or better than him in this measurement. It is worth noting that Brandon Marshall was ranked as the #1 blocking receiver in the NFL with a grade of +18.1. The next highest grade was earned by Drew Davis of ATL who earned a +6.5.

I think his worth ethic, production, and size will work out well for him when Cutler starts to target him with the 1s. I really do think there is something to Cutler and height. He throws a high ball and it looks like Morgan is able to extend and use his strong hands to bring the ball down in a fashion similar to Jeffery and Marshall.

I’m excited to see him play this weekend against the Seahawks. I think he’ll be productive and help the 1st team offense when they are on the field.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    Where was this guy 3-4 years ago? He would have been our #1 receiver.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Morgan is easily the best proven WR left on the roster after Marsh and Jeffery (until Holmes can show otherwise). JM is the obvious "next up" for #3 after the overly protracted and doomed-to-fail Weems bs.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    786ß
    I like having both Morgan and Holmes and you're right about it improving our depth. I hate to think about it but we could have one of our top WR's go down to injury any time. With Holmes in the stable now and Marquis Wilson eventually coming back, the Bears have a pretty impressive group of players. I like Morgan too.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +286 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    From today’s press conference:
    Reporter: What has Josh Morgan shown you to deserve that third receiver spot?
    Trestman:
    You know he’s had two good weeks of practice. He had two good games. He’s had productive games. He’s made plays out there. I think we’ve all seen that. I think he deserves a step up now and get the first opportunity to do that.
    Reporter: What about his skill set stands out to you?
    Trestman:
    He’s a powerful guy. He’s a big guy. He’s got…He’s explosive. He’s got straight line speed and he’s got experience he’s the most experienced, other than Santonio obviously, of any of the receivers we have. He’s got more playing time than anybody and that would have included, obviously, Marquess so we went to give him a chance now. He’s really worked hard in practice. He’s had two really good games where he’s had opportunities to make plays.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There were three things I took away from Trestman's response.

First, Trestman is incredibly thoughtful and articulate. I know it's been stated many times before, but whenever I sit down to listen to him I feel respected. I feel like he's being genuine. He is a rare communicator who walks the line between respectfully answering questions and holding confidential information.

Second, Trestman, when pressed on the "skill set" of Morgan first referred to his size "He's a powerful guy. He's a big guy." I think that's an attribute that is forgotten frequently when thinking about Morgan (and will continue to be lost as the conversation moves more and more toward Holmes). He's big, not just tall (although he is 6 foot one) but built. 220 lbs @ 6'1" When you contrast that with Jeffery who's 2" taller but weighs 4 lbs less, or Marshall who's 3" taller and only 10 lbs heavier. I think that really stands out. You can see that in his game tape where he can legitimately take on linebackers and ends and not get completely dominated. That's something the team can really benefit from in a potential third receiver. I'm not sure Holmes, 5'11" 192 lbs, will be able to have that kind of physical presence on the field even if his route running or "hands" are a little better the value of a having a strong receiver and blocker is significant.

Third his experience. Trestman misspoke a little, as Brandon Marshall has significantly more experience, but Morgan has been in the league for a long time and was a #2 receiver in two good programs. He also came from no where and has really worked into his role. He was a 6th round pick who made the starting receiving core of the 49ers (even though it should be noted that he wasn't on a WR loaded team), but the following year he went up against Michael Crabtree in camp and held his job. I'm excited to see this experiment at #3.

As has been discussed with the defensive linemen, it's awesome that we can now talk about the #3 spot with our heads held high again. After Marquess' injury it seemed like we were going to be scrounging a bit, now we have Holmes and Morgan (rather than Weems and Spurlock and Bellamy) competing for the third spot. That's good news and even better news when you look to posterity and realize M. Wilson's gonna be with us in the middle of the year and next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    Someplace that JA didn't think to look.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    That's all that has to be said.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Yeah, the "Angler was, at best, reactive only to a certain degree. Glad those days are way in the rear view mirror. The current administration is planning for any injuries by adding the right pieces to the puzzel. A player goes down and they already know who they are going to target to replace him with.

:18 1 205:
    • Like Like x 1