Just a thought, BUT....if, while Jay is out, the offense looks like it did

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    in that 2nd half against the Skins (efficient, high-powered, NO wasted timeouts, NO "slow/discombobulated starts", etc.), it is going to be VEEERY interesting to see if the board's collective opinion of Jay changes. I am really starting to re-think my whole "Cuter is INDISPENSABLE" mindset. I can't get over the fact that we ALWAYS start off horribly on offense, year after freakin' year. This year, you CAN'T blame those pathetic 1st quarter/1st half performances on the OL, because it is vastly improved. You can't blame the slow starts and wasted timeouts on the coaches, because they weren't here last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, etc. I am really starting to think that Henry might be onto something. The one constant during all this time has been Cutler, himself. I am on the verge of laying the lion's share of the blame for the slow starts, wasted time out, wasted 1st half plays, etc. at his feet. Anyone else feel this way? I think we might all owe Henry an apology soon enough. Needless to say, I will be veeeeery interested to see how McCown looks from the outset, against the Pack.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    I think McCown is a good guy, and I'm glad he had a good day. No, he's not better than Jay Cutler, if that is what you are implying. It's also oversimplifying the issues if you blame Cutler for all of our woes on offense "year after freakin' year".........surely you realize that.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    JABF, THIS year he has a different HC (a guy who is a mastermind, by all accounts), a different OC, a SOLID OL, and plenty of weapons...yet the problems with the pathetic starts AND the wasted timeouts remain....why? Cutler is the one constant in the equation. I find it hard to believe that Trestman requires a half to figure out what is going on out on the field. I find it hard to believe that two intelligent, veteran coaches like Trestman and Kromer take forever to get the play call into Cutler. Obviously, I am not blaming Cutler for "ALL of our woes on offense year over year." What I AM doing is blaming him for the fact that the wasted first half timeouts (along with the our pathetic perfomance in the first half of games) are NOT a thing of the past. He know has weapons, coaches, a solid OL, etc.....so when this offense fails, I am laying the blame at his door. NO more excuses for the brittle (physically and mentally) Mr. Jay. I think McCown showed us what Trestman's offense CAN look like when the QB actually runs the plays which Trestman calls for. I guess we'll see next week.
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    and it is not about McCown being a "Better QB than Cutler" in the abstract....it is about him proving (over the course of the next several weeks) that he is more than capable of running this offense more efficiently than Cutler. Cutler looked like sh*t in that first half, before he was injured. McCown looked like an All-Pro...they were playing the same defense, with the same teammates, etc. Just kinda makes you think.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Well, we can "agree to disagree" on this. Football teams at the NFL level are complex entities. I "get it' that you see this as a black-and-white issue. McCown had a good game, and I'm really happy for him. He seems like a really good guy. But he's not "The Answer" to all of our problems, and Jay Cutler isn't responsible for all of our woes on offense. McCown will have his first crappy game, and the same fans who are "crowning" him now, will be the first to turn on him afterwards.

Fans. Gotta love 'em.
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    i think there is absolutely no question that cutler is a much better qb than mccown, think its all about our feeling that jay is not that special one and sadly he isnt. we see offense can do fine without him, and that time will come soon. jay never was outstanding here, miss pep and pnut even more...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß

ding, ding ding, we have a winner winner chicken parm (with EXTRA thick meat sauce) dinner. thank you for comprehending my post and responding accordingly , a-miljan. At least someone understood what I was saying. ;)
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Just wait until GB and some of the other D's have tape on McCown, you're opinion will change back. He wasn't as great as it looks, he had a lot of ducks out there and he failed to get off the final pass, mainly b/c he doesn't have the arm to get it there.

I put this in another thead, and I think this right now is the biggest issue:

Trestman in postgame stated, and i'm paraphrasing, I just called the plays according to the gameplan and he ran them, I wasn't having to go over what he likes or doesn't like.

That right there is the biggest hold up w/JC. If he'd just run what was called, get the ball out quick to the open guy, the O would run far more smoothly, they would have longer drives, even if not scoring, and it would help keep the D off the field.

Cutler is 10x's the qb McCown is, and that's being gracious, McCown had a career day, wtg, Matt Flynn and Matt Cassel had career days/seaons, doesn't change the fact they are backup to barely backup quality, lets not get ahead of ourselves.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    lol, no where did I say that McCown was a better QB in the abstract(in fact, I said that he wasn't), nor did I say that Cutler was responsible for ALL of our woes on offense, but continue to put words in my mouth to set up straw man arguments if that is what you want to do. As miljan correctly pointed out, the ISSUE is NOT McCown > Jay, it is that McCown might prove capable of proving that Jay is eminently replaceable. Continue to wait for Jay to develop into an elite, Super Bowl-caliber QB, by all means...it is gonna be a looooong wait. I'm out. Rack me, Jim.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    I'm not trying to be a wise guy here. Just pointing out that we've seen 1 good game from McCown. Let's not "crown" him yet.

And it's not always as easy as folks want to believe, to get a QB who can take a team to a Super Bowl - and win. It's just a "reality check" here. Good for McCown. Like the guy. But we need more than a "McCown level" QB for the long term. It doesn't have to be Jay, but it won't be like ordering a QB off the restaurant menu. It's not that easy in the NFL.
  11. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,893 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    901ß
    Green Bay will have us ALL wanting Cutty back. After they tear him apart no one will want to see McCown again
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    ricza, I respect your opinion, but I am NOT trying to sell McCown as an elite QB who is the ANSWER for our franchise. I am merely stating that it is POSSIBLE that McCown actually outperforms Cutler in this offense, which would prove that Cutler is NOT the answer. As far as Green Bay is concerned, McCown actually wouldn't have to perform all that well against Green Bay to improve upon the turds Cutler has REPEATEDLY LAID against the Packers over the years.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    ok valid, GB might have been a poor choise :oops:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    Lol, cause Cutler has performed so well against Green Bay in the past? He routinely ****s the bed against the Packers. Given his pathetic track record against the Packers, we can't do much worse with McCown in there against them. What is it that Woodson said about Jay last season after the Packers game? "Same old, Jay." lol.

Last year against he Pack, in two games, Cutler went: 23 for 48, 261 TOTAL passing yards (in two games!) 2 TDs, 5 INTS

call me crazy, but I think McCown can't perform MUCH worse than that against the Packers.

JABF, you're a good guy and a good fan, so I'm not accusing you of being a wise guy. Just saying that I don't think you have understood my primary point, which is simply this: McCown MIGHT prove that Cutler isn't the indispensable/"near-elite" QB we all think he is. That is all.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    lol, you're a good guy riczaj.
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,893 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    901ß
    Do you remember McCowns last start against them? Was horrible.

And yes, I know how bad Jay has been against the pack. But no one would rather see McCown than cutler on the field
    • Like Like x 2
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Cutler was having a good start to the new Trestman era. I think he was a top-5 QB in yards passing prior to yesterday. So it's not completely accurate to think he's the same QB he was under Lovie Smith & Mike Tice. In this league you want the best QB you can get. It doesn't have to be a Tom Brady. But it has to be better than McCown. A lot better. I'm all for getting better at QB (it doesn't have to be Jay) but I don't believe it's easy to get a rock solid QB who can be better than Jay. Sure, we can do that. No, it won't be a slam dunk easy task. Fans always want to point out the exceptions to the rule here (hey, Brady was a 6th round pick, so we can grab a Brady like this too). Russell is another example. But for every success like this, there are a ton of failures. Like we've seen over the past many years on the Chicago Bears. Even with Trestman, it's not going to be a slam dunk here.
  18. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    yes but again jay showed us that he can be horrid, this season too. the problem with him is that we in chicago dont ave qb patience any more, can u blame us? i dnt want us to cripple our roster cos of his huge payday, he hasnt showed hes worth it! if he had a contract for next year - fine, but if he wants 100+ he can get it somewhere else, he can be replaced, he made me nuts more than a few times, as i know he did to you jabf... well have a tough time replacing him but it looks like we need to try it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß

This ^^^
  20. milehibearsfan

milehibearsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I catch your drift Ghost. McCown is just a back up. I'm just tired of the good Jay bad Jay show anymore. He's still not a very good leader, never was and you can't teach that. Just puttin on a show this year, 1 reason, contract year.