Just a thought, BUT....if, while Jay is out, the offense looks like it did

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 21, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    A fine backup...maybe.

But still hot garbage
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    How long do you think it takes an NFL VETERAN to learn a playbook?
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    One thing I really like about McCown is that he's a pretty football-smart guy. That does factor in somewhat in a WCO. I expect he'll be savvy enough to make mostly good decisions. He won't light it up, but he'll move the chains. I guess I'm expecting him to be a good backup, but not a starter-level talent. You could sure do worse in a backup QB. The good guys are starters, and FWIW, not even every team in the league has a decent starter. I watch some of these games (other teams) and cringe at the QB play some of them have now.
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    How long does it take to get to know your teammates tendencies and develop a rapport with them? How much time do you think McCown was given with the ones before his start against, who was it, Seattle, when Hanie got the bench?

How do you expect a fresh off the street QB to WIN A GAME against Green Bay in their stadium when it's a tall order for Jay Cutler to do it?
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    not sure he was a better option then the UDFA's either, until the udfa's got hurt, all McCown offers this team is he's no threat to Cutler's long term tenure w/the Bears...which is now in question.

Again he had a career game yesterday good for him, but don't expect it again.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    Answer my question, I will answer yours
  7. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Here's a better question, if McCown were also injured in the Washington game, and we went to the street and picked up Jordan Palmer to play GB in two weeks, would you expect this team right now to leave Lambeau Field with a win?
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Then you didn't watch yesterday's game or have been paying attention to Matt Blanchard's inability to find another team, which is a cardinal sin to any player if they cannot be on a 53 man roster or at least a practice squad.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    You're asking a hypothetical question about a hypothetical situation.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    376ß
    I like McCown he has the smarts and drive to play, I was in favor of them keeping him over the other guys. He's been standing at Trest side and has been soaking in the knowledge this season and those 2 seem to share a better sympatico then even Jay. I also see McCown being a good coach some day when he retires not so for Jay. But lets see what happens to McCown when other teams game plan specifically for him and then see how he performs. It's like when Grossman was playing out of his mind those 1st few games racking up big numbers. When other teams started studying him closely and saw his flaws they shut him down big time, he never produced like that again.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    I would expect a win yes. I always expect wins. Would I think he had a shot in hell? No. But that would not stop me from expecting an NFL player to perform well enough to win a game.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    One offseason is enough for a player to learn a new playbook. For McCown, coming in to a system he was familiar with, maybe about half a season if he's not getting time with the ones. But the team he was walking into did not have any players on offense or an offensive line that was worth a damn. We were limping into Lambeau just looking to make it to the end of the season. Yet, that should have been a W. I understand. You expect wins.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    One off season... so it roughly takes two or three months for a QB (veteran or rookie) to learn a playbook?
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Doesn't "Think" mean the same thing as "Expect" in this case? Maybe you are confusing the word "Expect" with the word "Hope"?

Expectations are what you think will happen. Like removing your emotions from the equation and rationally thinking about the possible outcome of the game. If you expected a win, then you should have put money down on the Bears to win kind of expectations.

I did not expect the Bears to win against the Vikings in 2011, but they did. I hoped they would win. I certainly did not expect them to beat the Packers at home fielding the team the Bears had in 2011.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    It's different for a rookie. Rookies don't know NFL game speed in a regular season game. But it depends on the rookie, their innate abilities, and how much of the team's resources are about to be dumped into them. If that rookie is a top ten first round draft pick, he probably going to get a lion's share of the first team QB reps and the coaches attention because there is no one on the team that is going to start.

If he's just some stiff UDFA, he's going to get a lot of inattention because the coaches have priorities. It's why guys like Brian Griese get signed to different teams after their time as a starter. You aren't having to deal with that learning curve of a QB to NFL speed.

A vet should be able to pick up a playbook in one offseason, and really know it by year two or three. Depending on their level of effort.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    Nope. I expect/demand a winning effort, but I do not think I will get one.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Put the discrete mathematics book down.

If the Bears decided to sign and start Jordan Palmer against Green Bay, would you expect a win? This would give him two weeks to prepare.

Please note, I have not mentioned Josh McCown in any capacity. Now this is an answerable question in that there is only one hypothetical question.
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    Okay. Lets just cut to the chase.

McCown is garbage. He may have been better than anyone else the Bears could dig up to have as a backup QB, but he is still garbage.

I do not think he is talented enough to win a meaningful game no matter how much time he has to prepare for it. No matter how good of talent he has around him.

If he had any talent worth a damn, the Bears wold not be the only NFL team calling to offer him a job.
  19. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Wait, what the hell is a "winning effort"? You said wins. You expect wins.
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,961 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,019ß
    A winning effort... play like a professional. Play like you actually can win.

Every Bear fans expects to win games. It is not that hard to figure out.