just saw this on my NFL app

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hope I did this right, pasted this on my phone..

Published: Oct. 21, 2013 at 04:15 p.m.
    Jay Cutler might be in last season with Chicago Bears

Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer
    Has Jay Cutler played his last meaningful game with the Chicago Bears?

By the time Cutler returns from his torn groin muscle, it's conceivable that the Bears will have fallen out of contention for a playoff spot.

It's been assumed that the contract-year quarterback will return to the Windy City next year via the franchise tag or a long-term contract, similar to Joe Flacco's situation last season.

Not so fast.

There is a "very real possibility" that coach Marc Trestman and general manager Phil Emery will move on from Cutler, according to NFL Media columnist Mike Silver.

Although Cutler was off to the best start of his career and had "bought in completely" to Trestman's system, he still lapsed into bad habits such as waiting too long to find his receivers and holding the ball too low as he stands in the pocket.

It's worth noting that Trestman reportedly played a key role in the decision to cancel contract talks with Cutler last offseason.

Trestman has a well-earned reputation as one of professional football's premier offensive strategists and quarterback gurus. With a loaded receiver corps and a rebuilt offensive line, the pieces are in place to develop a first-round quarterback if Trestman elects to set Cutler free.

"Think about it -- he had his greatest success with Rich Gannon, who was smart and moved well but wasn't anybody's idea of a big thrower," one source familiar with the Bears' situation told Silver. "If you're him, do you want to spend $20 million a year on Cutler, who might not be the best fit, or do you want to find someone you can mold who's efficient? And if you think about how deep this (next) draft class might be, he can identify his guy and get him relatively cheap for the next few years."

Under that scenario, the Bears would have to cover their bases via the franchise tag until they have acquired an alternative to Cutler.

Cutler can put all of this speculation to rest by returning with a flourish in late November and December. If that doesn't happen, though, don't be surprised if he's the headliner in an offseason blockbuster trade for the second time in his career.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Isn't that what we all thought? Was there anyone that really thought that Cutler was a 100% lock regardless of play or inj?
    He's having a career year, but it's not like he has had a great year from 1st to 4th qtr in the first 7 games. I thought he'd at least get FT'd, and still do, but if he were to not return, or returned and had games that were similar to the 1st 2 qtrs against Wash, you better believe they would look elsewhere sooner then later.

I don't think that's the case though, I fully expect him to at least get FT'd regardless.
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,976 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    162ß
    I dont think they tag him. Youre talking 15-16M for one year, when we have tons of other players needing new contracts this year. Ok, so if you tag him, he is going to be 31 next season, and lets say he plays great, record season and everything. Then what? Give him a 100M+ contract, for 4-5 years? Great, now you have a QB his going to be 32, 35 when his huge contract is up, a QB who hasnt played a full 16 game season since 2009?

i dunno...i just cant fathom Emery and Trestman going that route. Either Jay will come back and earn his contract, or they will move in a different direction. FT is rarely used on a QB, especially one that is 30+ years old.
  4. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,976 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    162ß
    Of course, the other option would be if Jay takes a pay cut to stay here. Can't rule that option out yet. And i think THAT is why the Urlacher situation is important...it has shown to every player that Emery will pay you a FAIR MARKET deal, regardless of what you think you are "worth." So, seeing as how Jay is a smart guy, he might very well take a lesser deal to stay in Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    Cutler is gone at season's end unless he gives a real discount to stick around
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    a 4 year 70 mil deal is still sitting at 17 mil, and I don't see Cutler going lower then that, some team will overpay for him. So even at 18 mil FT is a better option then killing your cap for the next 2-3 years(I know they can do things to not make it a flat amount every year, but you get my point).
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    If you know anything about Emery and Trestman they will go over every scenario at the end of this season with a fine tooth comb. I'm just finally happy we have 2 guys that have a plan and know how to go about executing that plan even when it doesn't go the way you hoped or expected. Already the key part on O is interchangeable if they can do the same for the D next year would be great but I don't think it will be as easy.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    105ß
    I remember him saying he's willing to give Chicago a hometown discount to stick around because it would give the Bears more flexibility and money to acquire new players.

But the real question is, would it be enough to justify a roster spot? I damn hope so. :-(
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    Players always say "home town discount" but usually that mean something other than what fans think. If he did not get injured, he would not pass on a 100M contract for an 80. They might knock off 5... perhaps 10... but players rarely ever give a real big discount.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Ya the ol' BU "hometown discount" was 6 mil a year....WOOOOOOOOO
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    105ß
    Zach Mettenberger anyone? lol
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,976 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    162ß
    I dont think the tag is 18M next year, its only 14M this year. But in any case...15-16M is going to kill our cap next year, i just dont see Emery tossing that money for a one year deal on a questionable QB, i think he is regretting tagging Melton this year (obviously it was nobody's fault, but still...have to think that is in the back of his mind).
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Okay if the FT is 14, and you are able to convinse him 50 mil at 4 years, that's still 12.5 mil(I don't see that happening btw), you are saving 2 mil to cripple you cap later. I'd take a 1 year 2 mil cap hit over another 2-3 years of 12 mil.

The team has 50mil to work with, maybe more maybe less depending on who gets cut and resigned besides Cutler. So that's 36-38 mil to sign another 22 players, I know it's a lot of players, but not all are going to cost you 1+ mil per.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    I doubt he accepts 4/50
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Well, our #1 WR is a bit of a Cutler fan himself. If Cutler is cut loose, what are our plans for BMarsh? I'm not saying he wont be professional about it, but those two guys love playing together. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they BOTH give somewhat of a discount if they are both extended, and it's possible BMarsh demands a high $$$ if Cutler is shown the door.

I don't think any columnist, reporter, or fan knows anything about the dynamics at play here.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. paranoidninja

paranoidninja Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good point.
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    If Cutler is not re-signed, BMarsh likely asks for a trade to whatever team Cutler signs with. Which might be a good idea, because you do not want an unhappy BMarsh on your team. If he does not ask for a trade, he will not re-sign here, instead likely follows Cutler where ever he goes
  18. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,976 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    162ß
    The difference is..FT salaries are guaranteed, that 50M or 100M contract is not guaranteed.
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    If he does accept that 4/50 deal.. how much do you imagine would be guaranteed?
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    196ß
    Cutty gone, BMarsh gone, Draft another WR early to make up for the loss.

i agree, I doubt Cutler would take 4 yr 40, but I wanted something that would actually be less then the FT tag to make a point, as cost inhibative as the FT can be, it's really not in comparisson to what you have to actually have to pay these qb's year in year out.

I still think they FT Cutler next year, or sign him to a contract near 70-100mil(not that I would) and then they can keep Marshal happy for at least the rest of his contract.