Justin Blackmon to Chicago - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, May 13, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +577 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Last November he received an indefinite suspension for again violating the league's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. He will be eligible to apply for reinstatement prior to the 2014 season.

Now Jacksonville's GM announced that it was unlikely that Blackmon would join the team for the 2014 season. They will probably release him in the following months.

I know he's a real trouble maker and not mature at all, but would you guys give him a shot? He's still young, he's got potential and having him as #3 would be a steal. Marshall has maybe 2-3 years left, then it's time for AJ and Wilson. Jay would have another weapon to throw to.

Thoughts?
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,442 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    215ß
    naynaynaynaaaaaaaa
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,400 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß
    I think with any player like that you need to be certain his problems are behind him and that he's changed his lifestyle. Two things tell me it's way too soon for that. One is that Jax already seems ready to have given up on a guy who was once a top draft pick and two he can APPLY for reinstatement but that doesn't mean he'll get it.

We got lucky with Marshall but his issues were caused by a psychological illness not substance abuse. We caught lightning in a bottle once but it's not something you want to try every time a deal like this comes around. So my answer for now is I'd pass.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    It would certainly be interesting to have him train here at "Club Marshall" to see how he would do. What would have to be given up for him? If Blackmon could be reformed the WR position here would truly be staggering.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd have to pass. If we were hurting for good WRs then maybe I'd consider it.
  6. Cutthroat6

Cutthroat6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If he can clean up his act completely, why not, but for some reason I see him ending up in a Patriots uniform....
  7. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Can you trust him?

If you can't trust him off the field how can you trust him on the field?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I say nay but I do not know Blackmon in any facet of my life besides what I read other people saying about him. If Emery made the move I would assume they've done a tremendous amount of research on his character and find him to be worth taking a chance on. If he did sign I would assume Stein would create a deal where the Bears are off the hook if they cut him and he has to work to show he can be an asset to the team.. on and off the field. On top of that I assume the contract would be full of clauses that take away from his pay if he becomes a nuisance and shows no signs of growth in his character.

Marshall, Jeffery, and Blackmon would be a nasty trio but I'm quite happy with Marshall, Jeffery, and the prospect of Wilson stepping up. If it happened, I would be cautiously optimistic.. but I do not foresee this happening.
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    If we dump Morgan, Hixon and Weems I'm up for giving him a shot. Low risk/High reward

Could Trestman, Marshall and Jefferys turn him around? The kid is only 23
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,400 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß

Good point. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't this his second suspension for substance abuse and he's only been in the league for two years? That pretty damn bad juju for a top ten pick and it shows a whole lot of arrogance and disrespect for his team and teammates. He's just not a Bears type of player at this point in time. Not even enough to take a gamble on.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Uh yeah, gime that in a heartbeat if he passes Emery's interview tests and the price is good (I bet he could come very cheaply due to trying to reprove himself)

Taking a chance on a WR who had some serious character issues but was extremely talented never worked for us before though...........
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,400 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß
    There's a really big difference between a guy with a BPD and a guy with a substance abuse problem or an addiction Grizz. By the time we made the trade for Marshall he'd already identified his problem which wasn't really a character defect at all but rather a form of mental illness that required treatment.

I vote we wait for AFTER Blackmon admits he has a problem, seeks treatment for it, and the NFL decides he's serious enough about it to let him play again. He may have a form of mental illness too but until that's diagnosed all we know for certain is that he does have character issues and probably an addiction. Marshall was never suspended indefinitely for a substance abuse problem.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    But if it is an issue that Emery feels is behind him, it is no different. It's a past issue, if the guy truly got past it then it wouldn't be wise to pass on an immensely talented player due to his past issue. It has worked for us before and just imagine if we had a guy like him tossed into our WR corp for a year or two.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,400 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß
    There it is, right there. IF it is a past issue and all behind him now then the NFL would be allowing him to return and if that's the case why in the hell would Jax be cleaning out his locker and hanging out the nobody home sign?

I'm not disagreeing with you all I'm saying is let's wait until after they guy gets a clean bill of health and a blessing of St. Roger and his Nazi's to return as the cured and recovered individual he would be. I don't know for certain but I haven't gotten the impression he's at that point yet. If or when he is it wouldn't hurt to kick his tires if he's looking for a home with some great teammates and a good QB. I'm not opposed to that if he's trying to make a new start.

Playing for Jax may be part of the reason he's had problems who knows or he may have had the same issues in college and this is a long term problem with him. I really don't know the whole story. I'm only saying that the guy has to be serious about recovering from whatever ails him in the same manner than Marshall was and if that's the case then the Bears may be a very good spot to land if only because of Marshall himself. But I'm also saying that it appears his problems are much different and maybe far more severe right now than Marshall's were.
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,982 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    Eh, give him a one year contract...let him prove to everyone he has changed. If not, part ways after a year. If he adds to our offense, sign him longer term after a year.