Ka'Deem Carey Says Look at All The Numbers, Not Just One............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, May 24, 2014.

1. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,384ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    1 right cut , at just the right second , that makes a player miss a tackle = extra yardage . And thats all that matters most of the time . If Carey exhibits this at the pro level , and keeps the chains moving , we'll all be happy w him .

2. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,040ß
    And that's what I see in his game highlights. He's a one cut runner who doesn't waste a lot of time of steps moving east/west. I'm not sure what kind of run blocking scheme they'll use this year but they need to be a little slicker with it than they were last year and I'm guessing they will.

Forte is a cutback style runner and so is Carey so I'm assuming some form of a zone scheme is what they'll play. We're not really a power running team. That doesn't fit our backs or our linemen. I know Carey will get a lot of carries in the preseason and I'm looking forward to watching him to see how he handles it.

3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    Preseason will be exciting, lots of players who are truly fighting for a spot rather than seeing the fail back-ups who never have a chance at starting and are ST lifers like in previous years. I'm interested in the QB play as well.

I was reading an article that someone posted on here and it compared (for speeds sake, not NFL production) Ka'Deem Carey to Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith. Both would have been knocked down for their 40 time in the current NFL but both were HoF all time greats. Speed isn't everything and the list of slow WR's and HB's whose 40 time didn't matter is extensive. I'm not anointing Carey as a sure thing but I won't knock him for the speed if he's field fast. I'm excited to see him play and see what we're working with.

4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,257ß
    40 times are over rated! At no time in a football game is a guy gonna get in track stance in nothing but tights, start when he wants to and run 40 yards in a straight line without having to change direction. It's pointless. A better test is the 10, and 5-10-5

5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    975ß
    I have a feeling that the more KaDeem Careys the ball, the happier we'll all be. :lol 027:

6. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,040ß
    I don't think that's wholly inaccurate either although I'd say his style is more reminiscent of Smith's. He's also pretty close to the same size and speed as Emmitt Smith and like Smith drafted later than expected although in those days good RB's still got taken in round one. A decade ago Carey may well have been a first round pick too.

If he stays healthy and we keep a good line in front of him he could be a guy who can take over for Forte in a few years if Matt's game slips or he starts to become injured more often again. The thing is I don't necessarily see that happening with Forte. He's one of those back who could easily be productive beyond his prime year because he's as versatile as he is.

Nonetheless it was time to draft a good RB and it looks like we got one an maybe even a second one in Jordan Lynch. I still thing that given a chance that kid will become a productive NFL player. He knows what to do with a football in his hands and he's got a tremendous amount of pride and desire. It may not be with the Bears but somewhere along the line I think a team will be very happy to have him.

7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,137ß
    I would like to see Lynch make it but not that optimistic. Not many QB's in college change position and make it in the pro's. Last few that come to mind is Kordell Stewart and the Jags a few years back took Matt Jones to be a WR. I believe they are more the exception than the rule. Jones was mediocre for about 5 yrs before he retired and K Steward bounced around a few teams but never really found a position. Angelo finally brought him here as a QB even. Like I said not very optimistic on Lynch but wish him the best of luck but do not see him beating out any of the Top RB's on the team. Last year the Jags took Denard Robinson from Michigan who was a QB in college and tried to make a RB out of him and he did not fare much better.

After playing quarterback at Michigan, Denard Robinson was drafted by the Jaguars last year and turned into an “offensive weapon,” a catch-all term that indicated he would play a major role in Jacksonville’s offense.

It didn’t work out that way: Robinson’s offensive output consisted of a whopping 66 yards on 20 carries, with no touchdowns and three fumbles. But Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said he still has high hopes for Robinson, who will get plenty of chances to prove himself as a running back in training camp and the preseason.

“Denard Robinson, we didn’t even know what position he was going to play for us – he was the offensive weapon,” Bradley said. “Now we know, ‘OK, we’re going to really lock in on running back,’ and see what he can do.”

Bradley admits he doesn’t know if Robinson has what it takes to transition from college quarterback to NFL running back, but he’ll see.

8. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,040ß
    IIRC Matt Jones had a drug issue and that as much as anything affected his NFL career and "Slash" was OK when the let him be "Slash" but as a starting QB he never had the tools of an NFL passer despite his arm.

Lynch has an uphill battle ahead of him to make the Bears or any other team for that matter and he may end up having to get bigger and shift over to more of a FB type but I don't know if he has the frame for that or not.

This much I can see though. He's a good football player and he has great instincts as a runner. Add to that his attitude and desire to play NFL football and IMHO he's a guy you want to make it. Maybe it's just that I like guys who are good football players not just good athletes. That ain't a track meet that's going on every Sunday.

9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    I'm not saying that Lynch will succeed and I realize you're using Robinson as a comparison for the QB-RB transfer but I don't think you can compare the two. I attended MSU and watched all their games during Robinson's reign with UofM and I don't think the two are close at all in terms of what they bring to the table.

As far as pure production I'll take the last two seasons they had at college. Lynch put up 1815 yards his junior year with 19 touchdowns. The next year he upped the production with 1920 yards to go with 23 touchdowns. Some great stats. Robinson had an 1176 yard campaign his junior year (16 TD's) followed by a 1266 yard showing his senior year with a mere 7 touchdowns. Lynch dominated and the arrow went up whereas Robinson's production fell.. and even before it fell it wasn't up to par with what Lynch was bringing to the field.

When it comes to build, Lynch is more built like a running back. That's part of the reason you see Robinson bouncing around to WR and such, he's not a big guy. His frame is slighter and watching him run around against the Spartans I knew he was a hit or two away from being shaky. If you could land a solid couple hits on the guys his production and confidence would drop. He's what? 5'10? Plus he was under 200 pounds or right about 200. Whereas Lynch weighs in at around 220 to go with his, in my opinion, better 6 foot height range. He's packing more punch and presumably won't have the same durability concerns that Robinson's build has caused.

Robinson has more straight line speed, aka, his 40 time was better. But Lynch had a 40 similar to Carey's and for the most part we've come to accept Carey's 40 time as not being the end all be all measure of a good running back. Robinson is perhaps the better "athlete" in this regard but Lynch actually outperformed Robinson in the 3 cone drill as well as the 20 yard shuttle. So he's quicker and can get to that hole better. I think I even read something where Lynch had the best shuttle or 3-cone over any RB in quite a few years, so that's pretty impressive. Lynch beat out Carey in the shuttle and 3 cone as well, actually. Robinson was more of a "dance around, I might throw it, I might not, oh I'm running now" type of guy whereas Lynch looks like he has decent field vision and can pick holes through the middle.

Once again, I know you're not saying that Lynch is Robinson and you're merely using Robinson as a QB transitional example but I think Lynch has a better shot at it than most people I can think of attempting the same thing in recent history. I am in no way saying that he will make it work and be a beast running back. But I'm going to give him a chance and see what he can do for us. I don't think you can compare the two. Lynch looks the part of a runner, Robinson looks like a shorter and slower Mike Vick.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,858ß
    Great attitude.

But yeah, 40 times should only be important for WRs and CBs.