Kiper BEAR mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 5, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    Bigger question why are they taking 2 DT's when they NEED a starting S?

I keep reading that the Bears don't rate S's high, but that was under Lovie and JA, we have NO IDEA how Emery/Trestman/Tucker rate them....and I'm betting it's higher then people think after last year.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Urban is a ridiculous pick. He's an Izzy size guy who doesn't spec out as DT. If we don't take Donald instead of Dennard (and I think we would) then Caraun Reid in the 3rd would be a nice fall back. He has a little more size than Donald but similar DT skills. Sure we have two 30 year old plus CBs but both are Pro Bowl level player so all Dennard does it sit.

I just gotta say that there are great CBs every year so why take one in round one THIS year and watch him sit when we could use that 2nd round pick on one instead that wild ass stab he takes at Urban. The kid is a 5 tech DE prospect not a DT and probably doesn't rate above a mid round pick.

This is Kiper getting cute again. He knows Donald should be the pick if he's there but to be different then everyone else so he can claim he called if it comes down he slides Dennard in there and then goes off an a tangent in round two. At least draft somebody we can use eh Mel.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    Personally, I think this is Kiper trying to get inside Emery's head. He knows Emery always surprises, and is trying to figure out what the surprise picks are
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    My vote for an "Emery-surprise" pick in the 1st (and I'm not saying this is who I WANT him to take but merely who I could see him picking knowing what we know about his style) is Hageman.

He's the Kyle Long equivalent this year on the D side--upside, huge athleticism, versatility, but with a thin resume of college production. He's the classic "future potential over current production" type of gamble. I hope Emery lets some other team take that risk farther down but if I had to guess an Emery dark horse, he would be it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It's more of Kiper's own head that a surprise to many. If you look at Phil's draft history though he always has drafted for need with his top picks, never BPA. McClellin/Jeffery, Long/Bostic maybe by the 3rd or 4th he may depart from his pattern but those first two he always looks for starters at positions of need. The what is never as much of a surprise as the who.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well that would surely be a who surprise. He's far more a 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT, especially 3 tech guy. I'd rather he skip over guys like him and look at the second tier guys who do play 3 tech DT like Quarles, Sutton, Reid, and maybe the kid from LSU but he's more like Jernigan. I'd even rather have Jernigan than Hageman.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    It's a common misconception that teams draft "pure BPA" in the high rounds. It's always talked about as the ideal but in reality most teams don't have the luxury of passing up a player they otherwise like at a position of major need for a player who might be a tad more "BPA" in some others' opinion who plays a position that the roster already has well covered. In the first round or two, way more teams draft with need firmly in mind than they're willing to admit.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I'm in total agreement, Soul. I'm merely saying he seems like the kind of prospect Emery could take a flyer on. I hope he doesn't either.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Me too he has a pretty big bust factor attached him and he's gonna need a lot of work to learn how to use than big old body of his. I'd let somebody take him who has their line set and can develop him. He could be great or he could fail completely.
  11. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    2nd pick would need to be a safety there. I don't see the value of Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the 1st....to be honest I don't even see Pryor being taken in the 1st round. Safety just isn't valued that highly in the NFL and you can easily pick up pro-bowl or quality starters in FA for a reasonable price...compare to taking a CB in the 1st round - the best CBs are rarely let go and when they are they get huge $$$.

Best value at 14 would have to be Dennard/Gilbert/Donald/Nix. One of those has gotta be there. And personally I like Dennard best out of all of them.

If you think we're set at CB now we've re-signed Tillman, think about it again....he's a 33 year old corner on a 1 year deal, coming off a major injury. Tillman's never missed many games but he has had quite a few nagging injuries which he's played through, but have reduced his effectiveness throughout the seasons. As for nickel back, Frey and Hayden are good players but someone like Dennard would be a major upgrade and your 3rd CB is on the field more often than your 3rd LB. If Tillman or Jennings are injured, without drafting a CB early you're looking at Hayden or Frey playing outside which could be scary....

IMO 2nd round there should be some good value at safety - Terrance Brooks, Buchannon, Jimmy Ward look good. I could even see Pryor being there at our 2nd pick. Haha is the only 1st round S in my opinion and I see him going in the 2nd half of the 1st.

Round 3 I'd be looking for a big NT but there's not much depth there....could even go another safety with that pick.
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    I see the Emery roulette wheel landing on Ebron, then DT,CB,and LB.
  13. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +91 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Just a question for ya college scout junkies..and i didn't want to start a new thread, so figured this would be as good as any spot...

Have read a couple rumors of Tucker playing more man2man...and we know Emery likes the big athletic types...

So who is coming out that has good size(6'1"+) and athletic ability at the CB position and is a good man2man guy? Regardless of hype! Cus we know with the Long pick last year, Emery could care less about what ESPN or any media-rating-hype person(s) are saying.

is there a guy with size and potential who's projected in a 2-4 round?
  14. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +91 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Just to clarify i don't want to converse about the last post i made...but if there is a guy that fits that bill i would lean towards that guy...i know CB will be addressed and we know what Emery likes...
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can't disagree with you logic at the top okay, and I think the CBs are a better bet than the Safeties for our defense but I can't agree at all on Nix or a NT in three as opposed to a 3 tech DT. In both rounds two and three or possibly four there are some 3 tech DTs who could play in rotation as rookies. There's Quarles who probably rates a 2nd round pick and then there's Sutton and Reid who should be there in three and possibly even four depending on how hungry teams are for that type of DT as opposed to two gap guys.

I've made this point several times and I'll make it again. As long as we play a one gap 4-3 there is no need for a wide body 330lb NT. We haven't had that type of guy since the days of Teddy Washington. We use a one gap "Shade NT" which is what both Ratliff and Paea play and probably Jernigan's best pro position too. If we take a DT other than Donald then Jernigan is a better fit at NT than Nix. Besides with Ratliff there and Paea behind him we don't have a huge need for that position like we do a pass rushing penetrating DT.

There are some good DL in this draft but far more of them are fits for 3-4 fronts than 4-3 fronts Nix included. I guess that's the trend because more teams are playing a 3-4 and want bigger DEs and smaller pass rushing LBs. That seems to be one advantage we have as far as a DT goes. Fewer teams want what we need most. You could say the same for CBs too. We value zone type guys who can play the run and create turnovers. Guys who play looking in not with their backs to the ball in man coverage.

I'm sure Dennard could adapt to playing in any style defense but in college he was more of a man cover guy. He can play the run though and he's physical enough to match up with bigger WRs. If we took Dennard know one could claim it was a bad pick but we still spent the top pick on a future starter, not an immediate starter unless they plan to use him at NB and there I think Hayden's experience would win out. It may even win out as a 3rd CB if Jennings or Tillman went down. Remember, Dennard doesn't have much if any experience playing in a zone system so he has some learning to do. I would much rather have Dennard than Fuller because I think #14 is way too early for him and at least this would give him a year to adapt to zone coverage schemes before starting.

I don't quarrel with Peanut's age or the few injuries he's had these last couple of years but I do quarrel with them having affected his production when on the field. He played though them in 2012 and made the Pro Bowl and was one his way to it again in 2013. The guy stops Megatron dead in his track and he's a turnover machine. Until he can't do that any longer I want to see him on the field. We still have to look at replacing him soon though so if that's what they decide then so be it. If both Dennard and Donald are still on the board it would be a tough choice but there's a good chance both won't be.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,285 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,707ß
    The thing that makes me think about CB @ 14 is I don't expect to pick this high again soon and really good CBs usually aren't available in FA. But the same can be said for DT. Any game changer does not get put out in the market. They cut others if they need cap.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    same w/S really BiH, your best athletes at any position are taken early.