Kiper & McShay Mock Draft 2.0 - Both now have us taking DT Timmy Jernigan

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 6, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    it's all a coheasive unit, if the DL can get pressure, but the LB's and CB's leave the outlet wide open it won't matter. Gotta have football players at every level. That's why FA this year is going to make a bigger impact on how the team drafts then it did even last year.

Long/Bostic last year is a perfect example, the team solidified the Def last year in FA so they felt okay going w/the OG they liked over better long term fit at MLB, even though they could have gotten better at both positions immiedately by going Ogletree/Warford(warfard was expected and was there when the Bear wentin the 2nd) instead.
    By many accounts Warford was the best rookie season, let alone on the OL/G in the game last year, so even if you feel Long was the better of the two, the difference between those two is far closer then Ogletree and Bostic; go w/Ogletree and MBL isn't even a concern going into this FA/draft, T still might be, but either way it's still far away from a need b/c of Mills and Joe Long and Britton(if re signed).
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Agree Ric but for te short term the DL can elevate te entire units play and it dose not work the other way around.

Pressure forces bad throws and a stud demands a double team on runs (or at least a combo)

I don't care who your secondary or lbs are if they have to cover for 7 or more seconds it's almost always a completion, if the DL is getting blown up the alleys are about 5 times larger to fill than they should be, either regard it won't matter much who ja behind them they won't have consistent success.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Grizz, true enough but again you can get a quality starting DL in the 2nd, you cannot get quality MLB's in the 2nd. So if the draft were to go Mosley/Anthony Johnson(300 lb dt) the team would be just as well off as a guy like Hageman/whoever.

That all said, it's moot b/c Emery is as likely to draft Jean Batiste in the 1st as he is anyone, he's an impossible read.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß

I agree with what you have said as well ric. There is a bit of a lack of depth at DT that worries me and I'll admit as an FSU fan I'm a bit biased to Jernigan from watching him play well week in and out. I would be happy with CD as well and would completely understand that pick.

As far as lb, I'm more confused on our situation there, Bostic is far from a lost cause but there's the question of where he plays. If Emery isn't blowing smoke with saying Bostic is a olb then by my count we have 3 olbs that are young an one open spot. Also is there a standout Mike out there possibly at 14?
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Grizz, I'm far from a college guy, but someone was on here saying that there is 1 ilb that is available, he said Mosely, and then it's a huge cliff to skov, and then a complete drop off. The ILB is the biggest gaping hole if Bostic isn't the answer, b/c there are zero on the roster and it's the hardest position on def to fill. Right now the Bears have:
    WILL: Briggs, Bostic, Greene
    SAM: Shea, Greene
    MLB: , Bostic(only b/c he's played).

I would LOVE to have a big ahtletic fatty in the middle, hell I'd love to have Truitt at DE to replace Peppers, but who plays mlb? Historically top starting MLB's come no later then the mid 1st, never did an analysis of DL so I have no idea if you can get legit starters in the 2nd and 3rd or not; I'm guessing DT's you probably can and DE's probably not. I'd be happy w/C-D, Hageman, Jernigan, Truitt(dude plays DE AND is big enough to play DT), Pryor or Mosely if the team stands at 14. Any of those guys I'd be pretty happy with.

But looking deeper into the draft I question how you fill the rest, I know there are DB's that can fill a role, but from what I'm reading C-D and Pryor are really the only 2 standouts at S, This draft is apparently much like last draft, you have 1 really special MBL(last year Olgetree) and the rest are meh, insert Bostic here). As long as Emery stops believing he's the smartest guy in the room I have no doubt they'll get the best guy; I'm hoping the Shea pick made him take a step back and rethink his early round draft process also.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Fair enough Ric, you make a good case and I can see Mosley at 14. Your last point is a good one we need a top player pending on how the draft goes.

Jerrigan and C-D are gone? Mosley would be a good choice.

Mosley gone? Take Jerrigan or C-D.

WHAT I DREAD....

Mosley, CD and Jerrigan are available, we take some guy on most 2nd round boards...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    What made THE CHICAGO BEARS unique in collapsing was the Defensive Line went vapors.

The LineBackers and Secondary had no choice but to follow.

The Trenches ... BUILD.

It sure worked for OFFENSIVE LINE !

Ask McCown.
    • Like Like x 1