Kiwaunuka Calls NFL Contracts Unfair..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 18, 2014.

1. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    642ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    This isn't about how hard they work or how difficult it is for them to walk after a game. There are people that work much harder and leave the "playing field" with their legs blown the hell off (much less with the ability to walk) that don't get paid even a fraction of what these guys pay in taxes.

They do not get paid for the difficulty of their work, but because of the rarity of their abilities to do so. There are obviously guys that play at a high level at Division I schools (something I could have never dreamed of) that can't even make it in the NFL. These are all elite athletes (even the back-ups) and the law of Supply and Demand dictates what teams are willing to pay them.

The real issue is the fairness of the conditions of the contracts and not the $ amounts. Fairness, by definition, is that the contract is equally good and equally bad to both sides. His argument of "Unfairness" is based on one side and only one guy on one side. He argues the merits of "lets just go to one year deals then". OK, let's do that, lets see how many of your fellows players would like that with no guarantees for the future in the event of injury. My guess is that you wouldn't get a lot of takers. In my opinion, MLB contracts that are fully guaranteed are the contracts that are unfair. It's unfair to the team to spend that kind of guaranteed money when the PRODUCT isn't guaranteed. Let's don't forget the "hunger" factor that players have to get those fat contracts and lets not pretend that some players may back off a bit after getting it. It's human nature and we are ALL prone to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,258ß
    You think they avoid their tax payments like apple does? Hah! Thats where we disagree I guess. With great risk comes great reward, but I still believe they should have more protections in their contracts than they do. You can sit there very easily and think they get compensated enough, but until you've felt what they feel on a weekly basis you'll never really know.

3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,258ß
    Like I've said, take the emotion about how much they make, and what you think you would do to make that much money out of the equation. Thats not the question being asked or debated. Kiawanuka brings up a good point, and he shouldn't have to shut up about it just because "he's made enough money to have his family generationally set", or "because he's still making 1.5 million". The rules are bent in favor of the teams and league when it comes to contracts.

4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,273ß
    When the players start to run the team there is a problem.

5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,258ß
    How would players having a fair contract terms equate to them running the team?

6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,258ß
    I'm having a hard time understanding some of your responses to this article based on the fact some of you wanted to give an aging linebacker whatever he wanted just because he was an all time great Bear, and then lamenting on how cold NFL teams can be.

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,865ß
    employment is always favoring the person paying over the person working,
    a person paying has larger field of those wanting to be paid then vise versa so it's never going to be "fair". nor does it have to be.
    If you've got paid to the point that you know have made enough money to be a 1% 'r then bitching about your unfair contract comes off as petty and pretty ignorant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,258ß
    And truthfully he's right to be upset because he played better last season than the season prior and they cut his pay!

9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,258ß
    You're missing the point. It's not about the numbers. He's saying two sides signed a contract. When one side doesn't like the deal anymore they can just cut his salary, but if he doesn't like it anymore he has little to no recourse. So it's really only a "contract" on one end of the spectrum. In everyday life, if you sign a "contract", both sides must agree to the terms or there are legal implications. Further in the article he says he understands that that is how the league works and he can either "play or watch". That doesn't mean he has to like having his salary slashed, especially after he had one of his better years. I'm sure if his play was down he would understand...but it wasn't.

And again...take the emotion of how much these guys make out of it.

10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,273ß

Meaning start pushing the team to make it favorable to the players vice ownership.

When the players aact like they are the league, then we have aproblem.

Look at the auto industry and unions. They sucked Detriot dry! The companies caved in and look at what's left.

Players give a lot of money away, either in fine or organizations. So they have money to spend. Clearly they are not under paid.