Kiwaunuka Calls NFL Contracts Unfair..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß

One thing we haven't looked at.... How many times does a team just cut a player who wanted to remain? Granted the timing is off this this guy, but how many times has a player said he wished they would have talked to him, because he would have restructured.

So what you're saying is that you feel they should guarantee the contract, but structure the payout, so even though it initially says $5million per year, is he doesn't perform for it gets lowered?

I'm all about guaranteed contracts, I'm just against them getting it when they don't perform. No free rides.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +932 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    And I think thats part of the rub for Kiwwaunuka....he had one of his best years last season! He probably would have been able to get more than 1.5 mill on the free agent market had he had the time to go out and shop his services in a prime market.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß

I think he is getting a shitty deal, but in the end, he's cutting his throat for next year by being vocal.
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    To be honest, there is no perfect system. Regardless of whether we are talking about contracts, economics, laws, etc., any time you have to develop a "system" to cover a large group of people, there are going to be individual circumstances that fall through the cracks. Much like people, nothing is "perfect".

With that said, I think the contract system that is now in place is pretty damn good. Yes, there are issues like this where a player my be perceived as being screwed. However, there are a number of circumstances where players become very very wealthy because they live UP to those contracts. Charles Tillman is a perfect example. he played all the way through his last contract and yielded in the neighborhood of $8,000,000. There were likely few that thought he would get to that last year of his contract, but he did because he played balls out and he made himself worth it. By contrast, there was no way that Pep was going to be worth $18 Mil, so now he plays for the Packers even though he became very wealthy by the Bears.

The system as currently constructed allows players like Peanut, that maintains a high level of play and remains a player that a team wants to keep to make more money than they ever dreamed of while giving the team to opportunity to move on if a player begins to decline. I'm sure the old players that played before FA would have loved to play under such as system that exists now.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +932 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    Eh....I disagree. If he performs he'll get paid by somebody...they won't care if he's a loudmouth.
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Yeah by somebody. I'm saying if they already threatened him with a pay cut or being cut, being vocal might be the thing that just gets you cut.

Loyalty does get you some things. However, if the team doesn't like you, you're gone.

Thats how we got Cutler. McDaniels and Cutler didn't get along.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +932 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    Yeah, but McDaniels was an idiot...say what you will about he Giants, I don't see them spiting their face by cutting off their nose. And they need all the pass rush help they can get this year.