Kromer seeing problem-solving growth from Cutler in Bears offense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jun 17, 2014.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    By Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporter

2:57 p.m. CDT, June 17, 2014

Much has been made of the progress the Bears offense has been making this offseason, part of a “trimming the fat” process as described by head coach Marc Trestman, in which the coaching staff has zeroed in on the concepts and plays that players execute best to refine the playbook accordingly.

Quarterback Jay Cutler acknowledged Tuesday after the Bears’ first mini-camp practice at Halas Hall that the offense is evolving in a positive direction as his comfort within it. That sentiment was echoed by coordinator Aaron Kromer, who has been pleased with the strides Cutler is making.

Said Kromer: “The beauty of continuity in football is learning the system and understanding where the problem lies on each play and each down and distance and then having the answer for that. The more you know about the play and the more you know about the offense, the more problem-solving you can do as opposed to just running the play.”

With Cutler and this offense, Kromer said, obvious growth is being made in blitz pick-ups and coverage reads and an overall instinctive assessment of defenses.

“That’s where Jay has grown through his study,” Kromer said. “Just understanding where we’re trying to go with the offense and him being the field general, not us (as coaches).”

The concept of problem solving within the system has been one the Bears have keyed on as the offseason has progressed, seeing advancement throughout the quarterback room.

“Within our system there are answers," Kromer said. "And so what we're trying to do is best relate those answers to Jay. And then as Jay absorbs them, he then takes it. We might be talking 101 answers (initially). So you're in your freshman year class and you're taking the 101 course. But then as we move on, he might take it to 201 and be able to read the play a little bit more in depth. And that's where we're getting to with a lot of our football right now.”

dwiederer@tribune.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-jay-cutler-aaron-kromer-20140617,0,5200473.story
  2. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    All of these coaches just sound smart. I love it.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    456ß
    Probably the best part is that we have offensive coaches who are talking like they know exactly what they're doing for a change. Martz was closed mouth about most everything and maybe that was because he was trying to coach a disaster waiting to happen. Or maybe it was because he was just an arrogant asshole who the game had passed by. I'm voting for #2 if anyone asks.

Then we had Tice who was the "clown prince" of all OCs and left us all wondering how in the hell asking him to run an entire offense when he couldn't even get his line to play decently was ever a good idea. Remember the famous (well almost famous but mostly infamous) Hester Package? If it ever was delivered I'm thinking someone stole if off the doorstep at Halas Hall right after the Fed Ex guy dropped it off.

I love the level of communication these days because it tells me they're confident in the product they have to put on the field.
  4. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Problem with our offense was when Lovie hired Ron Turner for his second stint as bears OC. Martz smartest man in room complex was bad but not nearly as bad as fact he didn't have a Oline to run his offense let alone Receivers who could run proper routes. Tice we all know was lame duck choice. Bears fans hoped it look good but believing it would some how all come togther was a fantasy and nothing more.

What is refreshing is now we have offensive minded head coach that we have always wanted. with supporting cast on offensive side of ball from solid line play. to great running back, quality TE that can block and recieve, and great tandem of receivers.

What I like best about this is “Within our system there are answers," Kromer said. This makes me believe in our offense. instead of the cluster F that has gone on for past 25+ yrs on offense. and we have think first time stablity at all key postions on offense for this to be a wonder to watch for years to come. Also believe Defense headed in right direction. though remains to be seen if Tucker is the man for that job.
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    People are seeing the football intellect pouring from this staff is so refreshing. Having players want to be here and get this have to compete for position what a concept. Lovie once he made you made man you never left the family with no real concern for competition. If Lovie had a problem with a position he would bring in one guy if that guy failed oh well he's our guy right Adam Archuleta. Because you could never have competition Jweb might cry if had to compete and Lovie worships at the altar of complacency.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    456ß
    Well stated Tarheel. When you look around the league you find that most winning teams have hired offensive minded HCs and where that isn't the case they've hired top drawer OCs to scheme and run their offenses.

It's still defense that wins championships but it's offenses that get your there. The Packers lack of a top flight defense has cost them some championships but if Dom Capers can make them just good enough then Rodgers and the offense can carry them at least as far as the NFCN crown and the playoffs. Under Lovie we were trying to do it just the opposite and you can't win week after week with an offense that struggles to put 20 points on the board and simply expect your defense and your HOF return guy to make up the difference. It won't work like that any longer and even Lovie knows that now.

Interestingly enough I'm feeling a little more generous about cutting him some slack over his offenses. One thing he demanded when agreeing to coach at TB was complete control over player personnel and his roster. That tells me that he and JA weren't always on the same page when it came to that side of the ball. I suspect that was also one reason why we had problems getting top OCs to sign on here. I always though it was because of Lovie but more and more I think it was because of JA and his in ability to find or draft good offensive talent.

OCs are all looking to step up into HC jobs but one bad run with a team whose offense you can't fix and your name drops to the bottom or off the short list of teams HC shopping pretty fast. All it takes is one bad season to do it. So what really good upwardly mobile OC wanted to come here and try and fix the mess we had? No OL and an iffy deal at QB because we had bottom of barrel WRs and no really outstanding TEs. It's a passing league as we couldn't pass worth shit because we couldn't even protect our franchise QB. Those were the issue that kept them away.

When Uncle Phil arrived the very first thing he did was start adding the skill players he needed for a decent passing attack. The next thing he did was hire a HC who could perfect his QB and an OC whose main talent was building great OLines out of mid round talent and FAs. Then he went out and got him some of that talent, added to the receiving core, and in two years just like that we had an offense JA couldn't build in over ten year of trying.

IHMO there's the difference so it makes perfect sense now to see that JA was the first to go and I think George McCaskey had much to do with that. I don't think he liked the way JA spent McCaskey money but he sure as hell has no problem at all with the way Emery spends it. He must, he's given him enough of it.

For years I always had the feeling the Bears were run on way too much intuition and seat of the pants kind of stuff that lacked a logical plan. No more. I keep thinking of that line Fred Dalton Thompson has as the admiral in Hunt for Red October when he addressing Alec Baldwin after he comes onboard his flagship. He said, "the Rooskies don't take a dump without having a plan son" and that's kind of the way I see things around Halas Hall these days. There's a plan and they're working the plan one day at a time. Do that well enough and long enough and you'll succeed 9 times out of 10.

Phil probably doesn't even have any magazines to read in his executive crapper. Just a copy of "The Plan". :10 4 1[1]:
  7. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Soulman I couldn't agree more with your post. Defense is important being able to adjust for me is key, and we've been spoiled with great D play for past 15 yrs. Was couple bad years sure last year being the ugliest of them all. Though think a lot had to do with Urlacher no longer making the correct adjustment and injuries compounded the problem. Still I don't have faith in Briggs making adjustments either Or whoever took over once he went down.

But certainly JA pargraph above it like your inside my head on that one. His inability to draft solid or even workable talent on offense was sicking, but I can't just blame Him when coaches like Drake are sleeping during film review he has to be the ultimate Lovie good ole Boy. Not that any of the offensive coaches were light years better.

Far as I concerned and I am no draft guru by any means I watch very limited college Football. But Phil has done solid Job great in my IMHO if exclude first year he had keep Lovie. Certainly attitude change with Bears about spending big in FA after signing Peppers, certainly best DE on market at time. We had nobody Ogun wasn't getting it done. But Phil ability to find talent for Money and address area of need with quality Players in draft and free agency gives me goose bumps each off season its exciting to see this man work. Cliff Fing Stien is a god among men easily biggest reason we can now be players FA.

Phil's military background sticking to the plan and listening to his men that he has in Place. Like his style wish I had copy of the plan for my crapper. But certainly pleased with his reign so far. Trestmen, Kromer rest of offensive staff to see bear play like they did was impressive. seeign growth in rookies and second Jefferies and FA all coming togther was thing beauty.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,416 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Tarheel the other aspect about the draft is that Emery increased the scouting department, it's important to the team to not skimp out on the scouts and run a bare bones group like they did under JA.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh absolutely Ric good point that skipped my mind. it's vast difference in how Emery approaches draft over JA. it refreshing . Good draft does wonders in building team for long term success. I like how detailed he is about process, leaving nothing to chance. More people input he can get the better seems with him.