Kyle Long Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Nov 21, 2013.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have to say I love the way this kid plays. Toughness, grit, determination, nastiness, intelligent, extremely talented, still has potential, and shows an ability/willingness to learn on the job. He also respects and appreciates the history of the organization he plays for.

In my 30+ years of watching football I have never taken to an offensive lineman. I have appreciated what O-linemen have done over the years but, I can honestly say that Kyle is my current favorite Chicago Bear for the reasons mentioned above.

I am pumped for his match up this weekend vs his brother Chris. I also appreciate the occasional presence of HOFer Howie and his wife Diane in the media and close to the Bears as well.

Barring any fluke things happening to Kyle, *knock on wood* he has an extremely bright future ahead for our Chicago Bears ball club.

What are your thoughts on the young man?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,736 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    572ß
    Too bad (or maybe a good thing for some) that we lost the draft thread where people were complaining about pick
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Would love to see some of the Hub Arkush like responses in that thread but sadly it predates my time here.

Like Hub, I hope those who posted in that thread love the crow stuffed crow with mashed crow-tatoes on the side and topped with crow gravy.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    I disliked the pick at first (wanted Eifert) and am more than happy to eat crow. Keep it comin'
    • Like Like x 2
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    181ß
    [​IMG]

Here ya go.

Hey Kyle, I appreciate all you've done for the Bears. Keep it up! And help your line-mates see the light! We all love the taste of crow lately...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I think that 90% of Bears Fans thought Kyle was a "reach". I never thought he was going to be a wasted pick, but I also questioned if he was worthy of a 1st round pick.

So glad to be proven wrong.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Can anyone tell me how Kyle 's career thus far compares to the linemen drafted ahead of him?
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    What impresses me the most is his attitude. Sure, he has the athleticism and the tangibles to play OL, but that is expected. No, its the attitude that impressed me. Before the season, they had vids on bears.com showing the rookie training camp, and he said all the right things: humble, but respectful, excited to play for chicago and under trestman. And once the season started, i have seen him fiercely defend Jay. That took me by surprise, usually you dont see/expect a rookie to stand up nose to nose to a vet Defensive player, but Kyle is willing to do that, he is not scared of anyone. If an opposing team tries to get in a cheap shot on our QB, you can bet Kyle will be the first one in line to kindly explain why that is not a good idea.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +275 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    first of all, it is really not important, but as we are being honest, as some of u remeber i loved the pick from day 1, and im happy to say i was right :10_5_135[1]:
  10. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    I think most of us knew that it was a gamble, but one with a lot of upside. We knew that Kyle had the potential to be great, and when he shifts to Tackle, i think he will be even better.

Whats really shocking is Jordan Mills...nobody saw that one coming, that was a bargain steal.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I wish I had the photo shop skills to fit him into my signature. At the very least for the reasons I mentioned and the ones that Jimmors also mentioned, he should be in the team picture of players who stand out and represent the Bears organization.
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    Pretty difficult for OL, since the stats are harder to come by, so here's the best that i can do for now:

1.Eric Fisher, Chiefs: apparently even though the chiefs were undefeated, Fisher has had a "Shaky Start," still, starter for 9 games, missed one. Can't be doing all that bad, since Chiefs keep winning.

2.Luke Joeckel, Jags: Broke his ankle after game 5, out for season. Jags offense a mess regardless.

4.Lane Johnson, Eagles: doing pretty well, from what i can find, a full starter for the Eagles.

7.Jonathan Cooper, Cardinals: broke leg in pre-season, most likely out for season.

10.Chance Warmack, Titans: Can't really find much on him, but he has started all games thus far.

11.DJ Fluker, Chargers: Started al but one game, made a Rookie of the Week, so i'd say he is doing ok.

19.Justin Pugh, Giants: Started all 10 games, but it is the Giants (Eli gets sacked a lot)...so take that for what its worth.

so, running total before Kyle was drafted:

2 were injured
    1 is a rookie of the week
    2 are doing pretty good
    2 are simply starters, but probably not as good as kyle.

Best we can do with only a partial season. Come back in 2 years for a better comparison.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    474ß
    I liked the pick, but thought it might have been a reach. After initial reading that other teams would probably have picked him, I turned out to be ok at where we picked him. Now, I think we got him at a bargain with that pick.
  14. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Everything I've read so far (since I'm no scout) has said that Chance is doing well but that Long is playing very well for somebody who was so raw. They are probably the best two O line picks in the top 20.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +600 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    I'm just astounded by his humble attitude compared to all the primadonna players of today. Especially coming from such storied father he doesn't act at all as though anything is owed to him. I give Howie and wife thumbs up for doing such good job of raising a kid with privileged background to be so non-self centered. So I just can't help but go for the kid to do a great job with such attitude along with God gifted size and ability the hof is almost preordained for him.
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,736 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    572ß
    Part of it likely comes from his past, his over coming the issues he went through with drugs and all that stuff.

But so far, there is not too much to not like about this guy
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +600 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Yeah, but he could of as easily just kept on that path of destruction, having a father with big money can cover a lot of shit. Or that said father says I'm going to turn off the spicket and you're going to learn life the hard way. Which few parents or for that matter government will do for people that need to learn a lesson on their own without a handout for every BS disease or excuse in the book.
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Well, I'm more than happy to admit it, I was screaming at the TV when we took this kid with Sharrif Floyd and Tyler Eifert still on the board. Everything I had read showed this kid as a second round prospect, and given the draft questions we had from the year before, I instantly started to question our new GM. With that said, the crow is very tasty and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this kid. I couldn't be happier to be as wrong as I was and I'm guessing everyone on this board, including the OP has had the flavor of crow in their mouth before. Drafts are a crap shoot no matter how many "interweb" scouting reports we all read. I trust in our front office because I think this draft was very well done. Even more so than finding a soon to be GREAT RG in the 1st round, I'm loving a pretty good starting RT in the 5TH ROUND!
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +600 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,361 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    474ß