Kyle Long Offers to Protect Random Kid From Bullies.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nice post Henry!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,958 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,016ß
    Nice to see Long is a man of his word and not just talk looking for a PR Boost

Kyle Long helps 9-year-old boy stand up to bullies
    Ross Jones

FOX Sports

[​IMG]
    Jeff Hanisch / USA TODAY Sports
    Kyle Long made the Pro Bowl in his rookie season.

When Bears offensive guard Kyle Long learned that one of his 76,000 followers on Twitter had been bullied, his natural instincts took over.
    Andrew Oyston, a nine-year old from Huntley, Ill., had been the victim of bullying at school and on the bus. He notified his father Frank Oyston, who informed Long of the incidents last month.
    “I had reached out to Kyle on Twitter and told him that my son had been bullied on the bus at school and he was having a hard time dealing with it,” Oyston told FOXSports.com. “And Kyle replied, ‘Hey, I’ll come ride the bus with him.’”
    Long and Oyston swapped direct messages for nearly a month and planned a day when the 6-foot-5, 300-pound lineman would come hang out with his son. The Pro Bowl lineman met up with the family on Saturday.
    “It was actually my youngest daughter’s birthday at Chuck E. Cheese and Kyle came and hung out,” Oyston said. “We played games and had pizza. We had a lot of fun.
    "He was at Chuck E. Cheese for a couple hours and then he came back to the house and played catch with the kids and took some pictures.”
    Stackin tickets with my man Andrew pic.twitter.com/4cMHcDNQQ2
    — Kyle Long (@Ky1eLong) May 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Oyston, a life-long Bears fan, couldn’t believe that Long would take time from his offseason to spend with he and the family.
    “I couldn’t believe it,” Oyston said. “I didn’t think it was going to happen, but he followed through. He’s a really good guy. He played games with him and played catch. You don’t expect that to happen nowadays. It really meant a lot.”
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kyle Long deserves the utmost credit and respect. He has proven that not only is he an exceptional athlete but he is an exceptional man as well.

Not only did he offer to help this kid about a month ago but he actually followed through by going to Chuck E. Cheese with the kid and hanging out with him at his house afterwards.

This is sensational IMO. When do you ever hear about a professional athlete going above and beyond like this?

Based on his tweets, Kyle Long is the epitome of a player who "get's it". He understands what it means to be a Bear. He loves being a member of this club and loves the city of Chicago. He represents himself and the team exceptionally well.

As Bears fans most of us were surprised when Emery picked Kyle. Some thought it was a wasted pick. Boy were we wrong.

To make the story even cooler, Long got a call from Matt Forte while he was with this kid. He handed the phone to the boy and let him talk to Forte.
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    The bullies probably need as much attention as the kid who is bullied. They are typically the ones with the dysfunctional parents.

But good on Kyle.... nice to have players who make the news for the right reasons.
  5. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    What I like the most is that Kyle missed the spring Oregon game (which you know how much he loves his Ducks) because he
    already committed to this kid. He must have been bummed but still went through with it. I love Kyle Long and can't wait to see his 2nd year growth.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This story just keeps getting better and better. I didn't know he missed the spring game so he could help this boy out.
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    317ß
    What if ALL NFL players did this - for a year .... just to shed some light on it and embarrass these turds ( and their " families " who r obviously doing a $h!t raising these punks ) .
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's more:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

Kyle Long supports bullied 9-year-old

Updated: May 5, 2014, 6:04 PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

Bully Victim Gets A Bear Of An Ally

CHICAGO -- Bears Pro Bowl guard Kyle Long spent part of the weekend making good on a pledge he made to support 9-year-old Huntley, Illinois, resident Andrew Oyston, who has had to endure taunts from elementary school kids on the bus and in the classroom because of his weight for close to three years, according to his father.

"Apart from the fact that they are really big Bears fans, they just seem like really good people," Long told ESPNChicago.com on Monday. "You can only do and say so much to try and help your kid, but at a certain point you turn your child over to the school, and for most of the day, you just hope things go smoothly.

"Andrew is a really nice, smart and energetic kid. With any place, there is always going to be some bad apples that make things not go as well as you would like."

[​IMG] As somebody that didn't have the best elementary and middle school experience, I can relate a lot to what Andrew is going through.
    ” -- Bears guard Kyle Long​

The bullying got so bad, said Andrew's father, Frank, that Andrew had to change schools.

Frank Oyston, who continues to search for ways to help his despondent son, has addressed the issue with the principal at Andrew's new school.

"It had reached the point where Andrew couldn't handle it anymore," Oyston told ESPNChicago.com on Monday. "He didn't know what to do. He didn't want to talk to anybody. The principal got involved and he obviously wasn't happy with it, but something had to happen because this wasn't stopping.

"As a parent, you want to do so much more in these situations, but you really can't. So I thought maybe I could get somebody else involved."

That somebody turned out to be Long, the Bears' 2013 first-round draft choice.

Oyston reached out to Long, an active participant on social media, on Twitter to see if he would help restore his son's confidence.
    Long's response was immediate: "I'll ride the bus w him."

"I was shocked he got back to me so quick," Oyston said. "I sent the first tweet that said, 'I have a favor to ask of you because my son is being bullied on the bus,' and right after I sent that I started typing another tweet asking Kyle if he could just talk to Andrew, and before I could hit send, Kyle had already gotten back to me saying he would ride the bus. That's how fast it was. It was amazing."

It proved to be impractical for Long to show up at the fourth-grader's school or ride the bus with him, and the sides spent several weeks trying to pin down a time when Andrew and Long could speak face to face, once the 6-foot-6, 313-pound offensive lineman returned to the Chicago area from his offseason home in California.

"Initially I just saw a dad that was in a tough spot with a kid that was obviously going through some things," Long said Monday. "As somebody that didn't have the best elementary and middle school experience, I can relate a lot to what Andrew is going through. I didn't know his specific situation, but the riding of the bus deal was kind of tough for me as well [as a child].

"I wanted to jump on this as soon as I could. We took about a couple months for everything to come to fruition and for me to meet the kid. But it was worth it. It was good for both of us."

The long-awaited meeting occurred Saturday at a Chuck E. Cheese in Crystal Lake, Illinois, where the Oystons were celebrating their daughter Riley's 8th birthday.

"Thanks for letting me come hang, great kid!" tweeted Long, who included a Twitpic.

"@mutt0311: @sportingnews @JayZawaski670 @Ky1eLong ... And then doesn't play with him" we had a great day pic.twitter.com/STbJyC0wO7
    - Kyle Long (@Ky1eLong) May 4, 2014
    "He wanted to spend a day with the family and asked about Saturday," Oyston said. "We told him it was our daughter's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese, and he was more than welcome to come. He told us it was fine, and he was totally down for some Chuck E. Cheese.

"Andrew didn't know too much about Kyle Long at first, obviously, and we told him and he didn't believe us. It took a couple of days for it to sink in that somebody from the Bears was coming to talk to him, so he started reading up on Kyle and his background. He was very excited to learn about Kyle. But on Saturday, he was nervous."
    Long did not disappoint at the party.

"Kyle was amazing with the kids," Oyston said. "He was playing games with all of them and following them around. He took pictures with my daughter. Andrew and he even held our 16-month-old son. It was really amazing.

"He came back to the house for a little bit after the party and signed some pictures. He even asked the kids if they wanted to go outside in the backyard and throw the football around. That was the kids' favorite part: playing catch with Kyle. Running around and throwing the football with him, the kids thought that was just amazing. All day yesterday my kids were outside playing catch and pretending they were Kyle Long."

Long called Andrew's sister "a firecracker."

"I'm surprised she doesn't stand up and beat up all the bullies. She's a tough little girl," he said.

"There was no point and time when we sat down and had a serious conversation," Long said of Andrew. "He just needed somebody to hang out with and have a strong male presence, like an older brother-type deal. If that's the role that needs to be played, I have no problem with that. He's a really great kid.

"It's always fun to have a little brother," Long said, adding that he "absolutely" will stay in touch with the family.