Kyle Long Seen as Emerging Star in Camp........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 5, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Early Names Emerging as NFL Training Camp Stars
    By
    Tyson Langland

NFC North: Kyle Long, OL, Chicago Bears
    [​IMG]
    Reid Compton-USA TODAY Sports

When the Chicago Bears drafted offensive guard Kyle Long in the first round of this year’s draft, there were more than a few people who called the pick a reach. Some felt Long was too inexperienced and raw to make an impact right away. Others questioned his work ethic because he flunked out of Florida State before he landed on his feet at Oregon.

Long wasn’t going to let a couple of bad decisions from his past derail his pro career. He made sure to put in the necessary work during the offseason to ensure a strong showing in training camp. According to Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune, Long has stood out physically during camp and is a man among boys.

Pompei’s statement should surprise no one. Long has good size (6’6”, 313 lbs) and an even better bloodline. His dad, Howie, is in the Hall of Fame, and his brother, Chris, is a Pro Bowl-caliber defensive end for the St. Louis Rams. Not to mention he was an athletic hotshot at the NFL Scouting Combine, where he ran a 4.94-second 40-yard dash and posted a vertical jump of 28 inches.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock called him one of his favorite players in the draft and said he should start immediately. If Long continues to churn out strong performances in training camp, he should have no problem opening the season as the Bears’ starting right guard.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    Damn I know a lot of fluff is written this time of year but this did make me :).
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I was certainly one of those who questioned this pick where we took him but the kid seems to be doing all that he can to change my mind and those of others who felt like I did. I was a fan of taking Cooper or Warmack but when, to my surprise, both were gone I guess Long became the high man at OG and we took him before someone else could in a move not to dissimilar to the drafting of McClellin the previous year.

I'm gonna put all the hype about his physical traits aside and to a degree his inexperience as well. I think coming from a football family and being the son of Howie Long and brother of Chris Long this kid is not gonna allow himself to fail or in any way be content to be less as an NFL player than his Dad or his brother. I believe when you hitch that kind of motivation to the physical horsepower he's shown he could very well be an NFL star for the next decade once he's gotten comfortable with the NFL game.

Of course this article only selects one emerging start from each conference not even one from each team but I think some credit should be given to a couple others who are stepping up their games in year two and that Alshon Jeffery and Isiah Frey. Obviously we're all expecting it our of Jeffery but if a 6th round can step up into a potential starting role that a nice bonus from last years draft.
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So far I like everything I've been reading about Long in TC. Like hearing especially about him showing some power and putting guys on their back. Sure hear more about him than that loser McClellan...who should be playing at LB not LDE...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    All I hear is that he just man handles guys in 1x1's but then gets rocked in 11x11. The guy has all the physical tools, but he needs a ton of experience. It will be interesting to see how he plays in real games.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    I'm encouraged by the fact that his work ethic seems to be very high as opposed to that of Webb. Combine that with good coaching from Kromer (and top notch athletic ability) and he should be a fairly quick study unlike....yeah, Webb again. I didn't like the pick either at first but I'd be more than happy to proven totally wrong.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    He will suck. I base that on the fact that I liked the pick from the beginning and I'm usually wrong! ;)
    • Like Like x 5
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    Be a Hater and start hating this pick! :p
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    That might be the only way to save him
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He is going to need A LOT of in-game experience before we get a real gage on him.

I think McClellan should be playing WLB. You know Greene-Bostic-McClellan has a VERY nice ring to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    I was critical of the pick and I will stay critical until he proves that he was worth the no 20 pick. Not only should he start but he should be a reliable guy come our bye week. I expect (if he does start) that we will see some mistakes. There is nothing wrong with a rookie making a few mental errors. What I don't want to see is him getting physically beat and thrown around. From what we read, this seems to be the least of our worries but I will hold judgement until we see him in real action. Friday will be a good first glimpse, first and foremost to see if him or Brown comes out for the first series. If nothing else it gives me a reason to closely watch the first half. I will be very, very in tune with both him and Brown, to see who looks to have an early edge in TC. Regardless, it is still early and we prolly won't see a starter emerge until the 3rd PS game, and prolly wont see one named until a week or so before the Bengals game. I really hope we have a good problem of two capable guys fighting it out in camp, and not the past issue of finding who sucks the least.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Grizz he won't get thrown around, but he will get beat, a lot. regardless of who starts this year, I think you have both future G's for this team playing at RG this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß

I do too Ric. Frankly, if he can play respectably and constantly improve, I'm ok with him getting beat from time to time. Having the physical tools is key for a young OG and its good that he seems to have it. Hopefully he can minimize inevitable rookie mistakes and nullify them by his own fair share of good, mauling blocks.
  14. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Especially if Garza stinks things up early in the year because then I could see us moving Slauson to C.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    I would agree w/that JP, but I think they kept Garza solely b/c of his past work w/Cutler. He would have to be beyond bad for him to be replaced. I hope Slauson is the C next year though, if they don't draft one.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Best case scenario: Bears select Boggs (I think that's his name, OC FSU) with the 32nd pick

But in all seriousness I'm surprised brown isn't getting work at center even with the 2s or something.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well Garza was beyond bad last year but then again the whole line was rotten for the most part.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    JP, agreed, and what so many analysts said was that Garza would be better b/c of the experience around him...but then you put Long on his right side and he's going to constantly have to help Long as he cuts his teeth. It's one of the reasons I'm hoping Brown starts the season, he's got more college and pro experience and Brown in the short term helps Garza be able ot center on Garza's guy.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß

Frankly trying to figure out who (between a rookie RG and a soph UDFA RG) can help our veteran center is completely assbackwards. It should be the other way around, leaning on the vet to help the younger guys both mentally and physically. If he cannot do this then it is so painfully apparent he NEEDED to be replaced it makes me sick. But I agree Ric, this will likely be the case with a rook or soph having to constantly help Garza. Oh boy..
  20. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I don't think it's so much about if the rook or udfa will actively help Garza more, but about who helps him by doing their individual job better so Garza doesn't feel he needs to try help out. It may just be semantics, but I think there's a bit of a difference. Either way, Garza needs to be replace next season at the absolute latest.