La Canfora’s Gut Says Josh McCown Lands With Vikings

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,074ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I hope (really hope) this is not the case.

2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,262ß
    I'll be ok with it.

3. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    BWAHAHAAHAHA

4. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,106ß
    sThese guys need story lines every day now that FA is just around the corner so of course McCown's name will come up. I'm still going with him wanting to return if Emery is willing to go the extra mile and proves how much he's valued by making sure he gets a bigger paycheck for a couple of years than he did in 2013. This is not a time to be too frugal with the #2 QB who probably saved him from a 5-11 season the year after he fired a HC for going 10-6.

If he returns all the better but if not then Trestman and Cavanaugh need to get another guy ready to do the same. Jordan Palmer looked decent in the preseason last year so maybe it's him or one of the other vets who are shopping for a new gig. McCown needs to do what's best for him and if that means signing elsewhere then so be it. He deserves to check out the market because Emery wasn't smart enough to sign him for two years to begin with which he very easily could have done.

#4 soulman, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,074ß
    I like to see our former players go to somebody outside the division.

• Like Like x 2
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,262ß
    You keep saying Emery wasn't smart enough to sign him to a two year deal....what exactly about McCowns career said he should have received anything other than the deal he got?

• Like Like x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    642ß
    Man soul, you've really got a hard on for Emery don't ya.

I'll be the first to admit that the guy has made some errors, but I don't think there is any GM in the league that hits a home run with everything, especially not in their first year when they are trying to evaluate the talent and coaching of their new team AND get ready for FA and the draft. In 2 years, he has literally transformed the offense and now we'll see what he can do with the Defense. You and I both know managing the cap and all the contracts is far more complex than just saying with the benefit of hindsight "We coulda signed him for 2 years". As it stands, we were only able to carry forward about $750K from last years salary totals.
    I really enjoy your posts and you bring great content to this forum, but man, cut the dude some slack. He's only coming into his third year, and only 2nd with HIS coaching staff.

• Like Like x 2
  8. little bear

little bear Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,098ß
    Vikings want Vick and McCown? This doesn't make any sense at all.

9. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,106ß
    Butkus, what would have been the big deal about signing him for TWO years at a vet minimum for $1.895 mil or a little more as opposed to one? Gimme a better reason because this one isn't. The contract wouldn't even have been guaranteed for one year let alone two so if he even made the team in 2013 but they wanted to release him in 2014 he's gone and that's that. We wouldn't be on the hook for 2014 anyway.

The reason he did it was to save him $$$ on the cap because by doing it that way it only cost him $550k in cap space. But by only doing one of his "one year wonder" deals (as in I wonder if this guy is worth it) it also prevented him from extending him last year or even earlier this year after he saw what he could do in that offense given the chance before anyone else even had time to consider signing him.

Now he gets to FA and it will cost him a lot more than just $955k to keep him. He could have spent $2 mil or less for two years but now needs to spend that, or even more, for one. OK he was short on cap space last year but this year he's not in that same bind. He has enough gas in the tank to keep him IF he really wants to keep him.

Phil often paints himself into corners with his monetary finagling and that's a bad habit he needs to break. That's all I'm saying and it's enough.

10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    McCown pretty much said Bears or nothing?? I remember reading that a lot. So not sure why others think they have the inside on him..