Lance Briggs On The Defense......................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 3, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Briggs: If Bears stay on course, we could make Arizona a reality

Video Link; http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/briggs-if-bears-stay-course-we-could-make-arizona-reality

August 2, 2014, 8:45 pm
    On paper, adding a star like Jared Allen to your defensive line should boost your unit's pass rush, signing a run-stuffer like Lamarr Houston should solidify a porous run defense and selecting arguably the draft's top cover corner in Kyle Fuller should inject youth and athleticism into an aging secondary.
    In theory, these moves made in the offseason should help the Bears defense improve on what was a frustrating 2013 campaign.

But veteran linebacker Lance Briggs isn't sold just yet on the unit becoming a force to be reckoned with like Bears' defenses of the past.

"I don't know," Briggs told CSN's Pat Boyle. "I think we have a lot of guys who have a lot of talent, and we have a lot of guys who are working hard but I'm excited to see what we're made of. When you get tested, you'll find out what you're made of."

A few under-the-radar additions on the coaching staff have caught Briggs' eye. The Bears brought in former UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni to take over as the defensive line coach and former Houston Texans linebacker coach Reggie Herring to work with the linebackers. The presence those two coaches have brought to practice this training camp, according to Briggs, has been very noticeable.

"They're hard-nosed coaches," Briggs said. "That's exactly what you need in football. Football is a violent sport. There's a lot of men that need to be guided in the right direction. You have hard-nosed coaches like Paul and Reggie that will continue to guide us and help us along our way."

Briggs isn't one to throw out predictions or set a number of wins for the Bears this season, but he also isn't shy about looking ahead to the ultimate goal: Super Bowl XLIX in Glendale, Arizona. Briggs believes that if the team is clicking on all cylinders in 2014, a date with the Lombardi Trophy could be in their future.
    "If we stay on our course and do the things that we can do, we could make Arizona a reality," Briggs said.

Check out the rest of the exclusive interview in the video above.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Actually Briggs stays appropriately humble and non-committal as far as making any predictions for the defense or the team until Pat Boyle finally drags the headline bearing comment out of him.

Don't you just love the way these media guy keep sticking it in there until they get what they want?

I figure Lance isn't giving up any bulletin board material or anything that the media can use against him later on in the season so he's being very understated here. Probably the smart thing to do.

Something else stands out to me though too. This is not the guy you want as the spiritual leader of your defense and his whole manner tends to confirm my thinking of why the Bears missed Urlacher so much last year. There's no way Lance Briggs can fill his shoes. Now Jared Allen? That's a different story.